Abe Laboriel Jr. Breaks a Stick at SNL 40

davidbehrens3.14

This happened at SNL 40, Saturday Night Live's 40th Anniversary TV event, when Abe was backing Sir Paul McCartney singing "Maybe I'm Amazed." Here's the video. The stick breaks right around the 4:30 mark.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/751650

Anyway Abe, feel bad for ya big guy! You handled it well, though, so props for that... remember, TECHNIQUE!

I wasn't really upset about this, but later in the show, I came VERY close to punching my TV when I saw Miley Cyrus singing "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" with the signature Gadd beat halfheartedly replicated with Promark Hot Rods. I almost cried. Anyway... peace!

My bad. Not how I meant it to sound. Still, he was pretty frivolous with all the arm-waving and extra movement, but I guess that's part of show drumming. Anyway, awesome player. However, I stand by my statement that that rendition of "50 Ways" was tear-inducing in a bad way.

I thought he handled it like a champ - like a pro. It's obvious that it's happened to him before and that he understands that it's part of drumming. A seamless recovery is the key to pulling it off, which he did perfectly.

Happens to me from time to time, and I don't mind when it does. Kind of fun, actually :)

Makes me rethink the location of my extra sticks, right now I just have a stick holder attached to the hi hat stand but maybe I need to put another hanging from the FT.

Back