AAX Studio vs AAX Stage

Nitemare

Hello again :)

I'd like to know if anyone has or has tried these two great cymbal lines, what the difference between them is, and reccomendations. I own an 18" Stage Crash, and it's grown on me (I used to not like it). And I'm looking to buy a Studio crash, MAYBE.

Thanks so much!

JClutchD

I've tried both and I noticed that the Studios are way thinner compared to the Stages, they really have a brighter sound and short decay whereas the Stages are loud and ring for ever. Basically, the Stages are more of a crash-riding cymbal and the Studios are great for punches. You should look into the AAXplosion crash, it's right in the middle of the Studio and Stage and is very versatile! Hope this helps!

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I USED to have a 16" Stage Crash, but it did not work at low volumes. I play music that has a wide dynamic range, so I traded it in for an AAXpolsion Crash, which works at all volumes.

Yes, the Studio Crashes are thin and open very quickly/easily. The Stage Crashes are thicker and have to be hit fairly hard to make them open. The more experienced I get, the more I prefer crashes that open easily. The other musicians I play with like my AAXpolsion crash. The AAX Dark Crashes are nice too. At church I play an AAX 16" Dark Crash with an AAX 18" Studio Crash; they are wonderful for all volumes. I ocasionally hit them as hard as I can, and they can take it. So I recommend checking out the AAX Stage, Studio, Xplosion, and Dark Crashes. Good luck.

S

sticks4drums

I USED to have a 16" Stage Crash, but it did not work at low volumes. I play music that has a wide dynamic range, so I traded it in for an AAXpolsion Crash, which works at all volumes.

Yes, the Studio Crashes are thin and open very quickly/easily. The Stage Crashes are thicker and have to be hit fairly hard to make them open. The more experienced I get, the more I prefer crashes that open easily. The other musicians I play with like my AAXpolsion crash. The AAX Dark Crashes are nice too. At church I play an AAX 16" Dark Crash with an AAX 18" Studio Crash; they are wonderful for all volumes. I ocasionally hit them as hard as I can, and they can take it. So I recommend checking out the AAX Stage, Studio, Xplosion, and Dark Crashes. Good luck.
Buddy. The 16" AAX Stage Crash is my favorite cymbal I have. You can have all my others, just don't take that one. :) To me it is the perfect cymbal.

PeteN

Silver Member
This might be off topic but I just purchased some 16" ,17" and 18" AAX X-plosion fast crashes and I really like them a lot. I'm guessing the AAX Studio line would be closer to the fast crash line?

S

sticks4drums

This might be off topic but I just purchased some 16" ,17" and 18" AAX X-plosion fast crashes and I really like them a lot. I'm guessing the AAX Studio line would be closer to the fast crash line?
Great cymbals. Thin and fast. Have a great sound. I also have the 16, 17, 18. No one buys them or talks about them. I like them much better than the X-Plosions.

PeteN

Silver Member
Great cymbals. Thin and fast. Have a great sound. I also have the 16, 17, 18. No one buys them or talks about them. I like them much better than the X-Plosions.
Sticks...are you talking about the fast crashes or studio crashes?

On another note I'm also waiting for my new 21" AAX raw bell dry ride ;-)

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Buddy. The 16" AAX Stage Crash is my favorite cymbal I have. You can have all my others, just don't take that one. :) To me it is the perfect cymbal.
That is cool. The 16" AAX Stage Crash I had sounded good, and it blended well with my AA 17" Thin Crash. However, at low volumes it did not really do anything. If I only played in a rock band, I would have kept it. But I play in many different situations and many different volumes. Peace and goodwill.

piperdoog

Silver Member
Just putting in my two cents, I play mostly rock, and the aax fast x-plosions are the best sounding cymbals for my taste. They are almost like a big splash big sound with a bright fast decay, which I like, I'm not a fan of a long drawn out ring. The last album we did I used a 16, 18, 19 fast x-plosions, and a 18aa fast china, they sounded great. I recently just picked up a aax fast x-plosion 11' splash, and it's AWESOME, very highly recommend.

Everyones tastes are different, these just sing to my needs.

cymbalholic92

They are both pretty good. I own a 16'' Stage Crash, its a great cymbal, but only really suitable for heavier music. I used to rent Studio Crashes at the studio, and they were good as well. A bit more versatile than the Stage Crash, but, I prefer the sound of the Stage crash.

Hissig Gompen

Years ago I had an AAX Stage crash and splash that I regret selling.

Is there a drum store near you? If at all possible you should go to the store and try the actual cymbal you're buying, the sound will differ from one piece of bronze to the next. Much more off an issue with handmade cymbals though.