AAX or HHX for rock?

i was mainly looking at the HHX but while looking around i have heard the are a better jazz cymbal then anything else. I am looking for rock/ metal cymbals that will sound good being hit hard or being hit soft closer to the bell. I am planning on buying a pack of them so if you could reccommend what 1 kind is best. thank you

MikeM

Platinum Member
Tomas Haake uses HHX and it's hard to get more metal than that. Ray Luzier uses a fair amount of AAXs in his setup too.

I use both AAX and HHX Xplosion crashes because I think they're bombdiggity. I have more Zildjians in my collection than Sabians, but those two lines are great, IMO.

Not really sure about the blanket statement that all AAX are rubbish since there are a lot of cymbals in that line...

A

audiotech

If it was me, I'd probably start looking at the AAX series first and then branch out.

Dennis

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
i was mainly looking at the HHX but while looking around i have heard the are a better jazz cymbal then anything else. I am looking for rock/ metal cymbals that will sound good being hit hard or being hit soft closer to the bell. I am planning on buying a pack of them so if you could reccommend what 1 kind is best. thank you
I don't subscribe to the genre specific cymbal thing. Each line has features that suit you or not. Both these lines are good cymbals. Depends on what features you need. AAX is typically brighter with greater cut, HHX is typically darker & more complexed but still with good presence. HHX 20" china is epic!

ENRICO

Silver Member
I was giog to say hhx irde and aax hihat and crashes. but you sais you ar going to buy a set , so I'd go with the aax , adn if you don't like one cymbal of the box you can always sell it and get another

Biscuit

The only one that's best is the one you like. Just because other people say HHX is better suited for jazz doesn't mean they couldn't be used for rock. Alot of Rock/Metal drummers use HHX cymbals. Give them both a try, pick the ones that you like and then your set! But don't just limit yourself to Sabian there are gems to be found in other cymbal brands as well. Good luck!

i want a good hit on the edge with also a nice bell sound. ive been leaning towards hhx but their both expensive so i'm gunna think about it. thanks

Solaris

Silver Member
Both:

[img}http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35925&stc=1&d=1284714762[/img]

AAX and HHX go great together. AAX is tonally brighter and HHX gives you some nice dark contrasts.

johnny f

I actually used a full set of AAX's on a gig (No Mics at all) On U tube go to decorummusic. The sound quality of the video isn't brilliant but one thing you cannot miss is the cut that these cymbals have. You can see how far the camera is away from the band. As I said they are all AAX. Of course with all these things it is personal choice but I have played AAX (the same ones) for 6 years and they have never let me down.

Ainulindale

Gold Member
there are some great HHX rides that would work for rock or metal

"Power Ride" - the name says it all, its a heavy cymbal with a dark, monsterous bell that could start an apocolypse, awsome ride for dark metal, but dont try n crash it - you might just break your sticks

"Raw Bell Dry Ride" - a nice dark, moody tone, sounds good when played hard, sounds nice and smokey when played softly, a dark, but cutting bell, you could play anything with this ride, reacts well to different sticks

"Groove" - this is a shimmering, smokey, sizzling ride, think shadows dancing as its wash and the crash is just gorgeous, not a bad bell either, it has a nice ring to it, if you want a crashable ride - this is the one, imho its also the best ride cymbal Sabian makes, but thats just me

these three, depending upon your exact style/sound, are all worthy of a listen, hope this helps man, happy hunting!

HOUSTON 94

I would be more concerned about your hats and ride. If it is rock, unmiced, AAX is going to cut better. As far as under a mic and in a studio, HHX could do just as well as AAX. Once you find your perfect pair of hats and a ride, start mixing your crashes to your liking. The AAX X-celerator hats are a good start, I just bought mine Monday.

redsky20

I would be more concerned about your hats and ride. If it is rock, unmiced, AAX is going to cut better. As far as under a mic and in a studio, HHX could do just as well as AAX. Once you find your perfect pair of hats and a ride, start mixing your crashes to your liking. The AAX X-celerator hats are a good start, I just bought mine Monday.
I totally agree, played a gig with a friends AAX X-celerator hats and AAX stage ride and they really did cut well, probably just due to the brightness of them. This was without them being mic'd whatsoever so I was impressed! Will probably need to get my own soon instead of constantly stealing my friends, haha.

chathamight

i use one aax ride and two hhx rides in my setup. i also play mainly hard rock music. i've had my hhx's for awhile and needed higher tones for contrast. so after hearing the aax memphis and how it fit into my setup, i bought it and never looked back. make your own labels. who says hhx's are better for jazz than anything else? listen to your cymbals and get what you need, for your own sound. who cares what some joe says whether these are better for that and nothing else...

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/album.php?albumid=705

HOUSTON 94

Back on my point of the cut of AAXs, I would go with AAX for your hats and ride. You really want that clear, bright but for those. But, dark accents sound just as well as bright accents in terms of crashes. But hey, if you think an HHX ride sounds better than AAX, go for it. It's your sound.

i havent heard aax cymbals yet in person but i have haerd hhx so i have to look into it more. mmy music store out here i go to doesn't has many aax i think.

DRockSteady

The one Sabian cymbal i do use on my kit is a 17" AAXplosion Crash and I love this thing it has a lot of attack and the bell is just sweet. I cant really speak on HHX cause i havent really played them. I have mainly zildjian except for that aax and like i said i dont leave home with out it.

redsky20

My drum teacher actually uses HHX Xcellerator hats on his secondary setup (behind his Zildjian A master sounds), and I do really like the sound, very nice and crisp, dark sloshy sound when played open however I've never heard them played in a live situation so I'm unsure if they can cut through a full rock band.