AAX Hats vs X-Celerator for X-Hat Setup

Silver’n’Smac

I already have 14” AAX Stage hats for my predominant side and I’m now wanting to get an X-Hat setup for double bass play. To change it up a bit, I’m looking at 13” instead of 14” and either the X-Celerators or another make of Sabian’s AAX line (fast hats, xplosion, etc). Recommendations appreciated!

Also, is it a waste of money to get hi quality cymbals like that, only to leave them in the closed position all the time (for the X-Hat side)?

I need help as this is really new to me!

I like all genre’s of music, I predominately listen to metal and rock (Rush, Epica, Sabaton and everything in between).

Thanks in advance!

C.M. Jones

I don't play a two-hat setup, but I wouldn't say that leaving one set of hats closed all the time is wasteful. It really depends upon the purpose of your auxiliary pair.

Any of the hats you've mentioned will be fine for the genres you've cited. My opinion is that genre isn't as important as the sound you want to convey.

If you want Sabian hats, just listen to as many as you can, narrow the field down to two or three, and listen closely again. Your ears will guide you to the proper pair.

Good luck!

Silver’n’Smac

Thanks C.M. Jones! I'm not in a band so I won't be playing "live" anytime soon. I mainly practice on my own and don't get the opportunity to play with others more than a couple of times away. I'm leaning towards 13" Sabian AAX Stage hats but I wonder if that's overkill for an auxiliary pair of hats in a "studio" environment. Based on what you said above, it sounds like while those hats may be on the "loud" side, they should still sound great. And yeah, the right thing to do would be for me to listen to a few in person but I've mainly been using Youtube as my source (obviously not the same).

Thanks again.

C.M. Jones

Thanks C.M. Jones! I'm not in a band so I won't be playing "live" anytime soon. I mainly practice on my own and don't get the opportunity to play with others more than a couple of times away. I'm leaning towards 13" Sabian AAX Stage hats but I wonder if that's overkill for an auxiliary pair of hats in a "studio" environment. Based on what you said above, it sounds like while those hats may be on the "loud" side, they should still sound great. And yeah, the right thing to do would be for me to listen to a few in person but I've mainly been using Youtube as my source (obviously not the same).

Thanks again.
If you want to sample several pairs of hats, YouTube can sometimes be the only way to do it. While it's always better to hear cymbals in person, online recordings will give you a pretty good sense of cymbals' tones and characters. Have fun searching.

Peedy

I’m thinking you should look for something that’s a half step sound wise away from your current set up. 12in hats, maybe Paiste Sound Edge or similar.

Pete