AAAAAAARGGGHHH!!!!! (cracked cymbal...)

drumhedd

Well, my 18" Paiste Alpha rock crash has decided to celebrate its first birthday with a 1cm crack along the outer edge. F@#k.

So, I need to make this thing last a couple more months until I can amass the required $$$ to replace it. Any drilling or cutting tips?

Thanks!

Steamer

Platinum Member
Show us a picture of how the crack looks at present and we may be able to offer some repair advice on the best approach to proceed with a fix.

Leadfoot

Drill a small hole (1/8") at the very end of the crack. Use a sharp bit and be careful, this should prolong the life a little while.

Steamer

Platinum Member
Okay that picture helps. Put the cymbal upside down sitting flat at the outer edge on a work bench or if you are lucky a drill press and drill a small hole at the EXACT end of the crack heading up from the cymbals edge. Debure the hole next with a small round file after drilled. This is very important step as it as it stops cracks from starting off a sharp and rough fresh drilled hole. This is the same procedure {deburring} for drilling rivet holes.

The last thing to do is to obtain a thin flat double sided jewellers file and make a small chanel from the edge to the new stop crack hole seperating the 2 broken sections from rubbing against each other and this should buy you some extended life with your cymbal.

Good luck!

drumhedd

Thanks so much guys! One thing though, what exactly is "deburring"? Do I need a special tool for it?

Steamer

Platinum Member
Thanks so much guys! One thing though, what exactly is "deburring"? Do I need a special tool for it?
A round file is all that is needed drumhedd. Deburring is the process of taking off the rough sharp edges off a freshly drilled hole {both sides} with a small round file to stop cracks from extending off the hole down the road. Standard practice for rivet holes for cymbals and in this case a cymbal crack repair hole.

drumhedd

A round file is all that is needed drumhedd. Deburring is the process of taking off the rough sharp edges off a freshly drilled hole {both sides} with a small round file to stop cracks from extending off the hole down the road. Standard practice for rivet holes for cymbals and in this case a cymbal crack repair hole.
Ok cool, thanks Steamer! I'll let you know how it goes.