A zildjian cymbal pack: yay or nay?

polarbeer1987

i am tight on money, i have destroyed hi-hats and crash so i need something soon.
is the a zildjian cymbal pack a good buy, or should i just take the longer route and save individually for each cymbal? - and just play on the busted cymbals until?
ps: the cymbals i have now are low quality, thats why the are cracked up like humty dumtpy.

I don't know how anyone could buy a cymbal, especially a pack of cymbals, without hearing them first, and playing them on your own kit. I always buy cymbals new, for instance, if I want a new ride, I'll test it in the store, then if I think it will work, I buy it, and take it home and play it for a few days, and if I like it, I'll keep it. If not, I return it and start the process over with another cymbal until I like what I have. You can't do that w/ prepacks or used cymbals.

I don't know how anyone could buy a cymbal, especially a pack of cymbals, without hearing them first, and playing them on your own kit. I always buy cymbals new, for instance, if I want a new ride, I'll test it in the store, then if I think it will work, I buy it, and take it home and play it for a few days, and if I like it, I'll keep it. If not, I return it and start the process over with another cymbal until I like what I have. You can't do that w/ prepacks or used cymbals.

Semi-agreed. I buy used online. If you play your cards right, you can resell a cymbal that doesn't suit you without losing anything but time.

Yeah, you would probably shred through that cymbal pack too, assuming they're not casted.

If your on a budjet and maybe a student- cymbal packs are a reasonable start, some are ok in use- I am not a gear snob at all and for example have a set of B8s that I use in pubs, for rock mainly because I dont want expensive stuff getting nicked or damaged. In a noisy pub they do just fine and sound good all round for that type of music. For more refined gigs like jazz and blues I have a really expensive set that all added up cost me over a thousand pounds, the flat ride alone was three hundred! So I guess they have a place at times- I wont flame the cheaper sets people buy them for reasons.

Do you play metal? That's what zcustoms are used for...mostly.

Yea - I don't think you could go wrong with the A Zildjian's - they're great for all types of music and - as with anything concerning drums - you'll save a lot of money buy buying everything together. Plus, I've seen some 14/16/20 sets where they thrown in a free 18" A Crash. That's like another $200 bonus right there.

i am tight on money, i have destroyed hi-hats and crash so i need something soon.
Usually, the cymbal pack just "prolongs the misery". You shovel your hard earned dough into inferior products, stuck in the "it's all I can afford" year after year. If you can live with your ride, get the best set of hats you can afford. Start building a foundation. I bought a set of 15" Paiste black label 2002 hats used, played on them for 15 years, and sold them for what I paid. 15 years good service and didn't loose a dime. Good cymbals should last you a lifetime.

Usually, the cymbal pack just "prolongs the misery". You shovel your hard earned dough into inferior products, stuck in the "it's all I can afford" year after year.

Zildjian also makes cymbal packs for their high-end series. I for one am very happy with my A Custom value pack :)

I once got from Zildjian a Steve Gadd Custom Pack - 18' Ride, 18' Crash, 16' Crash + Hi-Hat. The quality is absolutely what it should be and i think, there was no special Drummerworld treatment. So nothing bad to say for me about Value Signature Cymbal Packs from Zildjian.

Bernhard

I'ver purchased both A Zildjian and Armand Zildjian cymbal packs and I have been completely satisfied with both. And they were a savings over buying cymbals individually.

Agreed. Buy good quality used cymbals. Sabian HH, HHX, AA, AAX etc, Zildjian Avedis or A custom, K or K custom.
Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this.. but a used crash in excellent condition is less likely to crack than a brand new one. This is the case because the older crash has lived through that period of time where manufacturer's defects shine through.

Great prices can be had too.. I got an amazing sounding pair of Avedis 14" new beat hats for a little over $100 usd.

Back