A vs A Custom?

HeavyDrums

I have a choice between A Mastersounds or A Custom Mastersounds. Sonically, what's the difference? My other cymbals are K Customs and I'm looking for some hats that will mesh well with them.

A Mastersounds is your standard medium top/heavy bottom (which is what I prefer) while the A Custom is medium thin top/medium bottom. I didn't like the A Customs as much because they feel rather thin to me, especially with heavier sticks. They also sound a little tinny in some situations. I personally would choose the A but I recommend trying both before buying.

HeavyDrums

Thank you. I preferred the As, but I couldn't articulate why. I play with heavy sticks and the As just felt better.

Peedy

I have a choice between A Mastersounds or A Custom Mastersounds. Sonically, what's the difference? My other cymbals are K Customs and I'm looking for some hats that will mesh well with them.
I’m confused about one thing with your post. What do you mean when you say “I have a choice between”? Are you getting a pair for free? If you’re buying them then you have lots of choices that might fit in better with either your music preferences or your Ks.

Pete

HeavyDrums

I’m confused about one thing with your post. What do you mean when you say “I have a choice between”? Are you getting a pair for free?
They are both available used at my local music-go-round. There isn't much price difference. That's what I meant by having a choice. I'm limited to buying used at the moment.

Peedy

Fair enough. Don't own a single cymbal purchased new myself.

Used retail for those HHs would be about 150-200 or so USD. I'm guessing that would get you something a bit closer to your Ks on eBay or similar. I played the Customs for 2-3 months and the A Mastersounds just once and if it were me, I would be sorry I got either one of those for my Ks. Both of those HH sets are louder and more high pitched (brighter) than the Ks.

What part of the world are you in?

Pete

I have a pair of 15" mastersounds. They do cut through a lot both in studio and live, particularly live when the acoustics obviously are happening right there on the spot. If you want something lighter and a bit more balanced I'd say the customs. But if you want to cut through well and project and have those tight rude hats, then mastersounds is ace 👌

Frosticles

Silver Member
Recently bought some 13" A Custom Mastersound's Used them briefly last weekend in Spain. Hated them. Too clangy. Sold the bloody things yesterday.

donzo74

I have 13" A Custom Mastersounds and 14" A Mastersounds. I prefer the 14" A's for most situations. They are heavier and have a tighter "chick". Basically, they are like New Beats but with the scalloped bottom hat for more sizzle and air release. I think the 14" A Mastersounds would be your best bet for all around playing.

Captain Bash

Silver Member

Might be a bit late for this but here is a link to what 13” A Mastersounds sounds like in a real live setting (they are not miked up). They cut through the mix and sit slightly above the other instruments in terms of frequencies this is useful in heavier musical settings. Also they are holding there own here against a loud 22 kick and 14 x 7 stave snare.

I am using std Zildjian 5B wood tips which is a pretty standard medium/heavy stick weight size.