A Vinnie Solo for you all....

Terry Branam

Official DW Chief Transcriber
Hey everybody,

I can't remember if I shared this here, but here is one of my favorite Vinnie solos to play through. This is an old transcription of mine from the "archives". I heard this track for the first time in a while, and thought a few folks here would dig it.

Enjoy!

Terry

udsolo1.jpg

udsolo2.jpg

Attached is a clip of just the solo section. The song is from an Eric Marienthal record called "Crossroads" Check it out, It's a good one.

Sorry if it's a repost!!

I just realized that I don't think I attached the Mp3 to the last post.

Here we go....

Attachments

• Upside Down Solo.mp3
    701.3 KB · Views: 355
Thanks TB....
Don't know how to count some of it tho...

Are those 5's quintuplets against the quarter note or is that just for groupings?

Hey man, I have to ask you this:

How in the world do you transcribe these things? I mean... common... This is freakin insanity!

Like: how do you get the stickings without video? And the rhythms? All those crazy groupings and artificial note values... all this Vinnie-crazyness.

Transcribing JoJo (what I did) is a piece of cake compared to this. I tried to transcribe Vinnie before (I wanted to try out the modern-drummer festival version of "I'm tweaked") and gave up after the first three bars because it's just so ******* difficult, it's ******* ridicoulous.

Any insight on how you approach this would be greatly appreciatet and would lead to more accurate and precise transcriptions from my side.

Hey guys,

Thanks for checking it out. Glad you enjoyed it. I know I got a lot from attempting to transcribe it!

LinearDrummer,

Yeah, the opening phrase is pretty crazy. I tried to write where I heard those notes coming in...yes they are quintuplets! The best way I can describe it is that to play five even notes over two beats. If you do it right the second beat lands in between the 3rd and 4th subdivision. Then start that on beat 3. I know that sounds crazy, but it IS Vinnie right?! Hope that helps!

Lutz,

Thanks man. It was a really tough one to decipher. I used to listen to this solo all the time before I tried to even transcribe it, so I guess some of it soaked into my subconsciousness through osmosis! Anyway, As far as the stickings, I guess that's what Kind of made sense to me when I was trying to play through it. Sometimes I can sort of visualize him playing the stuff when I hear it. It's strange.

I have to say that of some of the Vinnie stuff I've done, this one is up there, but not the toughest. I did Oz Noy's "Evidence" for MD last year. That one was insane!! I'll see if they'll give me permission to share it. You would like that one. Great track!

By the way, your Jojo transcription is great. I wouldn't exactly think it was a piece of cake!!

Terry

Lutz,

Thanks man. It was a really tough one to decipher. I used to listen to this solo all the time before I tried to even transcribe it, so I guess some of it soaked into my subconsciousness through osmosis! Anyway, As far as the stickings, I guess that's what Kind of made sense to me when I was trying to play through it. Sometimes I can sort of visualize him playing the stuff when I hear it. It's strange.

I have to say that of some of the Vinnie stuff I've done, this one is up there, but not the toughest. I did Oz Noy's "Evidence" for MD last year. That one was insane!! I'll see if they'll give me permission to share it. You would like that one. Great track!

By the way, your Jojo transcription is great. I wouldn't exactly think it was a piece of cake!!

Terry

I'd love to check out the MD one - maybe you can share it in a PM??

How did you get MD to publish one your transcriptions? I'd love to get that opportunity once in my liftetime...

I have more questions: which programm do you use? Sibelius? Finale? Something else? And do you use other programms to slow things down or eq things differently to hear the BD better for example?

Thanks that helps.
When I see pretty advanced stuff like this I usually just pick out a couple of bars like 21 & 22 that I can understand and learn them as a fill in time with straight backbeat.

I am going to try and post this again. This would be a fun jam to try and transcribe.

Attachments

• Jam # 2 with Tom Lily and Kris KolflatEdit.mp3
    6.8 MB · Views: 198
Back