A video comparing double ply Aquarian, Evans, and Remo clear heads

AModestRat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJiVrS0eiVU

Saw this on Instagram today. A company called DrumTunePRO tuned three drumheads from the three big companies - an Aquarian Response 2, Evans G2, and Remo Emperor (all clear) - to the same note and tested them out on a Ludwig rack tom.

I always wanted to hear something like this done, and though there are lots of videos on the internet that show this, IMO this video shows the small differences between the heads. To me, they all sounded similar, not enough to warrant a "brand A is definitely better than brand B" deal - that's mostly based on QC for me.

If I had to rank them, I'd put Aquarian first, then Remo, then Evans. The rankings mostly based off of the quality of the note and overtones. Being a Remo guy, it surprised me that Aquarian came first with its pleasing overtones and solid note. Remo came second, I felt that it had more overtones but was still pleasing to the ear. Evans came last because I felt that the note was solid but "thunk"-y with minimal overtones.

All are solid heads to me, I guess just pick one or all and go with it!

RIneuron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJiVrS0eiVU

Being a Remo guy, it surprised me that Aquarian came first with its pleasing overtones and solid note. Remo came second, I felt that it had more overtones but was still pleasing to the ear. Evans came last because I felt that the note was solid but "thunk"-y with minimal overtones.

All are solid heads to me, I guess just pick one or all and go with it!
Speaking as a psychologist, this needs to be done with the listener blind to brand. Then there would be some real surprises I bet...

G

Ghostnote

Speaking as a psychologist, this needs to be done with the listener blind to brand. Then there would be some real surprises I bet...
I would have a hard time telling the Aquarian from the Evans, but I would be able to tell the Remo from the other two.

hippy chip

Silver Member
The Remo has the least boing of the three by a very small amount---all of them sounded great to me, but the Emperor wins by a hair---and the Suede version (I prefer black) is even better!

Stroman

Platinum Member
This confirms what I have thought for a long time - it really doesn't make any difference. Yes, I can hear the subtle differences with headphones, but the moment you put the drum in context with music, those differences will be undetectable, IMO.

Gottliver

This confirms what I have thought for a long time - it really doesn't make any difference. Yes, I can hear the subtle differences with headphones, but the moment you put the drum in context with music, those differences will be undetectable, IMO.
I agree. So similar, I would never hear the difference in a band setting or even a lively practice room.

WallyY

Platinum Member
This video has been talked about here previously, but I'll repeat my prior comment.

It's doesn't matter what a head sounds like when new because the head hasn't conformed to the bearing edge yet. It needs a few days to settle in on the shell.

If the test is done at different ages of the head it makes a better indication of sound and longevity of the different brands.

Even if the heads sound very similar under a mic, they might sound different to your ears.

If I play my drums 60% of the time alone while practicing, I want them to sound best to me without the band playing.

Only experience with different brands and your own playing style can tell you what sounds best to you. Try them all eventually, and if you can, try them all more than once.

el roso

Another way to look at this might be that they all sound relatively similar because they were all using the same resonant head.

Would be interesting to see a similar video with a constant batter head and see what impact changing the reso has on the sound.