A very special delivery from the UK...

R2112

Silver Member
This arrived at my door this week.

IMG_5270.jpg

It was packaged extremely well! After removing the many layers of tape, plastic and cardboard...I get to this amazing case.

IMG_5272.jpg

Once I opened the case, I found even more protective packaging.

IMG_5273.jpg

After removing the last of the protective packaging. I get to see what's inside. A stunning 14 x 7 Guru In-Tense Segmented Ovangkol snare. :)

IMG_5280.jpg

IMG_5279.jpg

IMG_5278.jpg

IMG_5276.jpg

As gorgeous as this drum is to look at...it's beautiful looks can't touch how incredible it sounds. My gosh what a gorgeous tone..and a sensitivity that is there at even the lightest of touch. I owned one of the Guru In-Tense Santos Rosewood snares that due to one of natures freakish anomalies began to shrink in diameter. Being the stand up guy that Andy is, he told me he would replace my snare no questions asked with a wood that is sonically very similar to the Santos Rosewood however, much more stable and stroger. Andy went way above and beyond regarding every issue during this whole process. I can't speak highly enough about Andy, Guru drums exceptional build quality and the whole Guru experience. If more were like him this world would be a better place.

Clint, thank you for your kind words.

The santos rosewood snares have proven a nightmare. They were an absolute b*&^d to build, cost more to make than we sold them for, then had to suffer a 50% failure rate. Never never never again!

Irrespective of wood species, segmented is by far the most stable & strongest of the solid wood shell constructions - actually, fairly close to multiple ply in strength / stability in comparable thicknesses.

These latest ovangkol snares are sonically absolutely stunning. Currently listed as a "guest species" in our In-Tense range, I think they'll become a permanent option :)

Sorry for the hassle Clint, but you've ended up with a supremely capable instrument, & upgraded to the latest specification too :)

Cheers, Andy.

Congrats. It sure looks nice.

SUPER !

It just seems so strange to me that we would buy such a beautiful musical instrument; and then beat on it with sticks.
I would have a hard time gigging with a Guru snare drum. I'd be afraid I might damage it.

Absolutely love it..Andy is an artist.

I can't tell you how happy I am for you - those ovangkols swept me off my feet. If I ever get a windfall ... Ooh you are so lucky!

Don't fret about your beautiful rosewood snare: I guarantee she's gone to a very loving home :D

Sorry for the hassle Clint, but you've ended up with a supremely capable instrument, & upgraded to the latest specification too :)

Cheers, Andy.

No sorries at all Andy, and you made this whole process absolutely hassle free. I'm very happy and very satisfied. :)

This drum is stunning, love this. Congrats!

Congrats. It sure looks nice.

Thanks lefty!

SUPER !

It just seems so strange to me that we would buy such a beautiful musical instrument; and then beat on it with sticks.
I would have a hard time gigging with a Guru snare drum. I'd be afraid I might damage it.

Lol, I 've thought the same thing many times. Works of art are usually spent sitting on a shelf or hanging on a wall...not beat on with wooden sticks!

I actually enjoyed gigging with my previous Guru. That snare was so light. It was such a relief carrying it around compared to my other snares and gear. I can't wait to gig this new one!

Absolutely love it..Andy is an artist.

Couldn't agree with you more!

I can't tell you how happy I am for you - those ovangkols swept me off my feet. If I ever get a windfall ... Ooh you are so lucky!

Don't fret about your beautiful rosewood snare: I guarantee she's gone to a very loving home :D

Thank you so much sweet Madge. That means a lot. I feel very blessed for sure. You're pretty lucky yourself. I love your marvelous collection of Guru's :)

Oh, I'm not worried one bit. I know she'll be taken very, very good care of. ;-)

Envious!

Andy keeps topping himself. It's really something. I love how the new strainer operates. Plus how many segmented ovangkol drums do you see out there?

I will say this, the wood matters. All my Guru snares are very different instruments, all are the same diameter and lug count and 3 out of 4 are the exact same dimensions.

Ash high, paduak medium, walnut low. My padauk is like my Goldilocks snare. Right down the middle, just right.

But of course if I got an ovangkol, that would be my new favorite snare.

And so on.

Would love to hear some updates Clint after you've had a chance to get schwifty with it. (Rick and Morty reference)

Last edited:
Congrats. What an extraordinary instrument you have there. I've ordered one or two of Andy's and Dean's masterpieces over the years and can only utter positive superlatives when discussing Andy's insistence that his clients are pleased and taken care of. No better customer service in the industry.

When I finally pick a Guru set, it's going to be stave, definitely, and probably an Origin series. I just need to get my head around wood types.

Congrats. What an extraordinary instrument you have there. I've ordered one or two of Andy's and Dean's masterpieces over the years and can only utter positive superlatives when discussing Andy's insistence that his clients are pleased and taken care of. No better customer service in the industry.

Copy that. Another superb snare and another satisfied client.

Envious!

Andy keeps topping himself. It's really something. I love how the new strainer operates. Plus how many segmented ovangkol drums do you see out there?

Thanks Larry!
I love the new strainer as well. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite strainers. Simple and easy to use, smooth operation and slim profile. Great combo.

I will say this, the wood matters. All my Guru snares are very different instruments, all are the same diameter and lug count and 3 out of 4 are the exact same dimensions.

Ash high, paduak medium, walnut low. My padauk is like my Goldilocks snare. Right down the middle, just right.

But of course if I got an ovangkol, that would be my new favorite snare.

And so on.

Your comparison sound file "challenge" post really showcased the sonic differences between the woods. That was a very cool thing to do.

Would love to hear some updates Clint after you've had a chance to get schwifty with it. (Rick and Morty reference)

That's a deal, Larry. Been having fun this week getting schwifty with it for sure ;-)

That's a knockout!
Congrats, Clint.

Thanks so much John!

Thanks Rich. Completely agree! Andy always goes above and beyond.

You've ordered one or two Guru's??? I think you mean 5 or 6...and that's just snares. I know, but who's counting right. :) I'd love to see some pics of all your Guru's together.

When I finally pick a Guru set, it's going to be stave, definitely, and probably an Origin series. I just need to get my head around wood types.

Please keep us posted when that great day comes. I'd love to see what you end up with!

Copy that. Another superb snare and another satisfied client.

Hear, hear!

Back