A Slingerland kit on "Pawn Stars" TV show

jayblazeff

Gee, who knew.....a jazz kit....is any kit with 1 rack tom.

Gee, who knew.....a jazz kit....is any kit with 1 rack tom.

LOL right ya learn something new everyday..I wonder what a Heavy metal kit is? BTW I doubt he is going to get $700 from anybody for that kit.. I thought $500 was pretty decent

Glad to see the guy hung on to it and didn't get hosed. I can't watch that show...I want to punch that loser chumlee in the face for some reason.

Those guys are knowledgeable on a lot of things . . . . drums AIN'T one of 'em!
We all know the "go to" config for a "rock" kit is 1up2down these days- usually 12-14-16 with either a 22(usually) or 20 bass drum, depths dependent upon manufacturer and their philosophy. This guy is a douche bag. I HATE those guys- when I DID watch the show, it was for historical info and interesting stories of how it all came into whomever's hands- these guys run a PAWN SHOP, they are bottom feeding scum whose entire business (INDUSTRY!) is based on buy it for 10% of its worth(based on a fraction of street price), lying if needed to get the price lower, and selling at 80% of retail.

aHEM . . . . end of tirade on soapbox. sorry if ihurt your ears . . . .

Wish I would've been there. I would've bought them for $700...

Those guys don't know WHAT they're talking about. Holy cow. Never seen the show, and I think it would just be frustrating for me if I did, knowing that they are a couple of arrogant "know-it-alls" (but don't really know much).

Those guys don't know WHAT they're talking about. Holy cow. Never seen the show, and I think it would just be frustrating for me if I did, knowing that they are a couple of arrogant "know-it-alls" (but don't really know much).

That pretty much sums up all of the reality TV crap. I can't stand any of it.

so if they're sketchy on the drum info it should make you wonder how accurate they are on other stuff they buy and sell. ...a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

yes, i HATE that 'act-like-i-know-what-i-am-talking-about' huckster guy. complete BS hucksterism. they act like they know what they are talking about so they can low-ball you on prices. "yeah...it only has one tom, so it's a jazz kit...i can't sell it...the drums that move are the rock kits....so here is my low-ball price." what an a$$-hole. we all know that single tom rock kits are big right now...WTH. ever heard of bonham...WTF.

at the end, i wanted to call the show...call the douche-bag & get the guys contact info & make him an offer of 1K. i wonder if that happened.

so if they're sketchy on the drum info it should make you wonder how accurate they are on other stuff they buy and sell. ...a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

To be fair they usually have an expert come in and tell them the worth in front of the seller before they make an offer.. Not sure why they did not do that on this.

Personally I do not like the look or sound of old slingers but thats just me.

Also they are making a living like most other people, and they do provide a service. if you need money than just pawn it and buy it back with interest rather than sell it. I know nice word for loan shark but thats capitalism and banks are not much better. I bet craigslist has put a dent into pawn shops.. I will have to ask the one in town next time I am in there. BTW I have found a few nice drum deals at pawn shops, don't dismiss them.

To be fair they usually have an expert come in and tell them the worth in front of the seller before they make an offer.. Not sure why they did not do that on this.

Also they are making a living like most other people, and they do provide a service. if you need money than just pawn it and buy it back with interest rather than sell it. I know nice word for loan shark but thats capitalism and banks are not much better. I bet craigslist has put a dent into pawn shops.. I will have to ask the one in town next time I am in there. BTW I have found a few nice drum deals at pawn shops, don't dismiss them.

Right on, and to be even MORE fair, the seller says when the guys come in, "I'm lookin to sell my jazz kit". So he put's "jazz kit" in their heads. If the seller had been a little more knowledgeable about what he had, he would probably gotten a fair deal. Bottom line on pawn shops is that they're there to make money. I've seen the guys on pawn stars give people MORE money then the seller first asks for because the seller doesn't know what they have. Probably something they did just because it's on tv and good for business...... but still, they seem to generally shoot pretty strait with people.

True, on them finding the experts and making a living. But, they do provide a lot of info and details on stuff and I'm just saying you can't believe EVERYTHING they say.

BTW, I like the show and that's coming from someone who doesn't like much on TV.

I too watch that show sometimes mainly to see some of the cool historical stuff that comes in. However, though those guys have a right to make a living, but I absolutely despise the low life dishonest trickery!

What I mean by that is on every show someone brings something in that they want to sell, the bald headed guy brings in his 'expert', the expert tells both of them the item is worth say, $10,000! Now they cut to the bald headed guy talking to the camera saying he's got to have that item because he knows he can sell it for a bundle. But, when the guy starts negotiating with the customer he tells them there's no way he can get close to $10,000 for that and he'd be lucky if he could even sell it! (totally contradicting what he just told the viewers on camera), that's when he offers a friggen rediculous $200 to the customer.

Then after convincing (conning) the customer into selling the item for a fraction of what the expert just told them it's worth he has the balls to brag to the camera about how much profit he's now going to make, what a dick! Sure, that makes the customer a bit of a sucker but at the same time I'm sure the customer is assuming the shop owner has some thread of morality (a mistake) and isn't going to go to stooping beneath low balling him to actually lying to his face in front of the camera.

Maybe the customer should have watched the show first.

Last edited:
I too watch that show sometimes mainly to see some of the cool historical stuff that comes in. However, though those guys have a right to make a living, but I absolutely despise the low life dishonest trickery!

What I mean by that is on every show someone brings something in that they want to sell, the bald headed guy brings in his 'expert', the expert tells both of them the item is worth say, $10,000! Now they cut to the bald headed guy talking to the camera saying he's got to have that item because he knows he can sell it for a bundle. But, when the guy starts negotiating with the customer he tells them there's no way he can get close to $10,000 for that and he'd be lucky if he could even sell it! (totally contradicting what he just told the viewers on camera), that's when he offers a friggen rediculous $200 to the customer.

Then after convincing (conning) the customer into selling the item for a fraction of what the expert just told them it's worth he has the balls to brag to the camera about how much profit he's now going to make, what a dick! Sure, that makes the customer a bit of a sucker but at the same time I'm sure the customer is assuming the shop owner has some thread of morality (a mistake) and isn't going to go to stooping beneath low balling him to actually lying to his face in front of the camera.

Maybe the customer should have watched the show first.

Well I am sure that is an exageration on your part. something they can sell for $10k and only offering $200 is both ridiculous and stupid. I have seen an expert tell them that the item is worth $5k for example and they offer $2,500 and may end up at $3k..If the guy feels like he can sell it himself for what the expert said than why would he sell it less to the pawn guy? I mean the expert just told the seller as well as the pawn owner so why blame the pawn owner when the seller can just walk away? Not to mention just because an item is worth so much does not mean there is a big market for it.

Maybe they take advantage of people needing money badly but banks and everyone else that will loan you money does the exact same thing and you have to fill out 3 days worth of paper work. I don't have a problem with this at all. The only problem I have with Pawn shops is they are a fencing source for alot of stolen goods (most of them know it too) but the law is slowly catching up to this.

LOL right ya learn something new everyday..I wonder what a Heavy metal kit is? BTW I doubt he is going to get $700 from anybody for that kit.. I thought $500 was pretty decent

Same thought here - too many parts missing. Also, the guy was trying to make himself out to be"a cut above" by marketing it as a Jazz Kit, thus implying that it was something more than it was.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw

These people don't usually have a clue what they are selling is worth, and they are going to a pawn shop in Las Vegas and usually need money for gambling or something else. You don't go to a pawn shop to get a fair price on what you are selling, you go there to get quick cash. If they wanted fair price they would put it up on ebay and wait, or wait until an auction.

That being said, he is trying to make money like everybody else, and lowballing is his trade. Every time I see that show I want to go around and visit some pawn shops and see if I can find any good deals.

You guys do know that that kit was a rewrap.500 was more than fair as he May get a not too knowledgeable soul to buy them for 700.In that condition 450 retail would be fair.

You guys do know that that kit was a rewrap.500 was more than fair as he May get a not too knowledgeable soul to buy them for 700.In that condition 450 retail would be fair.

I didn't know it was a rewrap. How did you know? Regardless, I thought $500 was a fair price as well, the pawnshop has to resell it and I doubt they would have gotten much more than what the guy originally wanted.

IMO, Rick wasn't THAT far off the mark with his comments. In general, jazz kits usually do have one tom up and employ a smaller size kick drum than rock kits (which up until the last few years) generally have had two toms up and a larger kick drum. He also did offer $500 for the kit which may not have been quite full market value but wouldn't have been straight thievery either. Besides, a good businessman always wants to buy low and sell high.

I've seen a number of the Pawn Stars episodes and Rick's strategy is to ask the seller how much he/she wants to get for the item and then offer either somewhat less or quite a bit less depending on the item. He never makes an offer first and seems to have a pretty good idea of how low a seller may be willing to go and how much he can sell the item for.

Barry

Back