A re-statement of the obvious

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Just wanted to put this out there, but this forum seems to be the anomaly on the internet. Everyone here is nice to each other, or if disagreements come up, they are worked through. There's no general animosity towards others, etc.,....

I say this because it's shocking whenever I visit a drum group on Facebook, or on another forum site, how mean people can be. I keep waiting for the rest of society to catch up to Drummerworld on how to interact online. People out there will just say "So and so" sucks, or "how can a guy like that get a gig like that when he doesn't play very well?" It's like ignorance is just blatant everywhere else on the internet. Of course, photography forums, guitar forums, etc.,...behavior on those is alot worse.

What is it with people, anyway?

And every time someone tells me the space aliens are out there, I always say, "we're not ready for them anyway", they think we're too stupid. It's the same reason the whales and dolphins won't talk to us. We're too stupid.

I haven't been on here long, or posted much, but I've already noticed how nice everyone on this forum seems to be! Even compared to another well-moderated forum where I regularly participate, this one seems to have avoided all the petty problems that emerge elsewhere on the internet.

It's like a parallel universe, and I thank the members and mods for keeping it that way.

Could it be that the average age is 85 here :)

I’m on a car forum with a culture very much like DW. The age group varies greatly depending on model and regardless, the group is very respectful of each other and very helpful. I’ve been on tons of forums where the opposite is true and it’s just downright hostile. One was so bad, by my third post (question) I was called a troll and told to go %@#&$!

I got all my questions answered on a different forum. Moderators have a ton to do with the culture. I also feel the post your gig pics, your playing, your pic, etc. threads make it more real. Kinda tough to hide behind just an avatar. Certainly no obligation to post, but it does help keep things real.

I have a rule I follow on forums and that’s to be who I am, regardless. I’ve got my feathers ruffled and definitely ruffled some. In both respects they were 100% unintentional. Things happen and you can be misinterpreted when not speaking face to face. It’s just a risk on forums, but DW is very good about keeping it real.

On most forums, it’s all about what you know and what you can prove. What I’ve learned on this forum after 35 years of playing is how little I actually knew when I signed up with DW. I say knew, because the needle has moved to the right of E (empty) to where the E is now blatantly clear. That’s it. There’s just far too much to learn and experiment here to ever get full!

I think that and tight moderation keeps people from getting too full of themselves. Those who have have, experienced “the hammer!” :)

I think it's a combination of several things:

moderation
no religion

and the acceptance by most of us here that while DW may be the king, there are many other brands, woods, heads, and styles that are perfectly acceptable instruments (sometimes even preferred).

A couple of acoustic guitar forums I used to frequent completely disintegrated over which wood was great and which sucked as guitar components, Then they also threw in politics and religion. Things became explosive in a hurry!

I think much more fun had here!

Ultimate Guitar forums are absolutely brutal. I will post my opinion on this site because it will usually be met with respect. On UG it will usually be met with anger and name calling that you wouldnt believe.

I'll be 85 by the time I finish watching all the videos and posts available on Drummerworld!

Last edited:
I think membership sets the tone. Often when people come on here and they are negative, the general membership seems to stop the negativity. If it is directed toward a certain poster the membership tends to stick up for the original poster. Not only does the moderators do a good job keeping things civil, but the membership takes a hand in it as well.

DW also benefits because it is still fairly small. A lot of forums have begun that way, but due to growth have basically gotten to the point where the original membership couldn't combat the negativity anymore and have just left.

There are other music forums that I have been a member for as many as 19-20 years, but I barely even go on there anymore. Sometimes because one post will have 4 pages of responses in less than 1 day, or the negativity and bashing has just gotten to the point where it isn't worth it anymore. I'm glad that DW continues to stay above board and be a great place to come and ask questions and share experiences.

Edit: And I'm 35, so far from the average age of 85 I guess. Maybe by then I'll actually be good at playing drums.

Just wanted to put this out there, but this forum seems to be the anomaly on the internet. Everyone here is nice to each other, or if disagreements come up, they are worked through. There's no general animosity towards others, etc.,....

Don't know where Doc Watso is, so indulge me while I stand in.

F-off, Bo! You bleeding wanker! Why do you mean, "no animosity?!?" Are you f-'en blind or just not paying attention?!?

There, I said it.

Space aliens? They never shut up. That's why I wear my tin-foil hat most of the time. Many of them play drums and are posters here in DW. You'd be surprised. Like I always say, Klaatu barada nikto, brothers and sisters!

Let me zip my skin back up... Nah, DW really IS a nice place! Thanks for pointing that out, Bo! Love, Smoke. ;-)

Agreed, Bo. I've only joined one Facebook drum group, one that many of my local drummer buddies is on (as well as many big name drummers, which is kinda cool), and occasionally it gets a bit off the rails. I have seen comments turned off occasionally, so someone does watch it upon occasion, it's just a shame that it has to get to that point.

I'm afraid this phenomenon is only going to get worse. Society in general is devolving, with more and more people not giving a damn how they treat people.

My go-to phrase lately has been "Idiocracy, not just a movie, but a prophesy."

Good moderation and a solid core of members who display compassion, knowledge on a wide variety of subjects, and little tolerance for the usual interwebs buffoonery.

The inclusion of so many notable pros, and a very clear list of forum rules to which the mods scrupulously adhere, are also appreciated.

I never would have learned of Wailin' Smash without this forum, either!

Feels good to be amongst good people! Class acts around here, the elder members have definitely set the tone for respectful, intelligent discussion. Y'all are a pleasant part of my day.

Good moderation and a solid core of members who display compassion, knowledge on a wide variety of subjects, and little tolerance for the usual interwebs buffoonery.

Strongly agree on these specific points. I've been a member for under a year, and I definitely felt as though I had to conform to the "culture" around here, which has generally been courteous, respectful, etc. Basically, there is no suffering of fools.

Another drum-related forum I frequent is reddit.com/r/drums, and I've been growing bored/annoyed with it lately. I much prefer the organization of DW and the wealth of knowledge from members, past and present.

This is the only thing on the internet I belong to. People in general don't know how to act anymore, and I really have no tolerance for it. This is a nice place to go and learn. You can actually ask a legitimate question without a bazillion people telling you how stupid you are because you didn't already know the answer. The rest of the internet should take notice and adjust accordingly.

I'm glad DW exists. Otherwise I really don't have anyone to talk drums with anymore.

and the acceptance by most of us here that while DW may be the king, there are many other brands, woods, heads, and styles that are perfectly acceptable instruments (sometimes even preferred)....

Go stick it where the sun don't shine - then get off my lawn.

LOL

This is the only thing on the internet I belong to. People in general don't know how to act anymore, and I really have no tolerance for it. This is a nice place to go and learn. You can actually ask a legitimate question without a bazillion people telling you how stupid you are because you didn't already know the answer. The rest of the internet should take notice and adjust accordingly.

I'm glad DW exists. Otherwise I really don't have anyone to talk drums with anymore.

Ditto..................

Could it be that the average age is 85 here :)

HAhahahaha!
#1 asked question: What's the lightest hardware available now? haha!

I agree with Smoke too.

I haven't been on in quite a while, but it's nice to return and find it still a cool group of wankers and wankeretts.

Back