A or B

someguy01

Platinum Member
A: Pork Pie USA 13x7 brass patina
B: DW 14x5.5 BNOB
Adding to the snare collection, it's one or the other. Make your case.
Thank you.

I suppose it would depend on how many and what you already have...and I don't know what BNOB is...so there's that.

I suppose it would depend on how many and what you already have...and I don't know what BNOB is...so there's that.
Black Nickel Over Brass.
I have: 14x5 Premier XPk, 14x6 DW perf maple, 14x5 Acrolite.

My case will be weak (and completely arbitrary), so prepare yourself.

I like the look of brass patina, but I'm not into 13" diameters or 7" depths. A 14"x5" is my ideal, and because the DW shell is within that range, that's the one I'd select if limited to the models you've presented.

Per your list of current snares, however, the 13"x7" would be an interesting addition.

Is this where I say "well, none of 'em are Pearl so just forget it" (?)
I keep looking for a good deal on either a free floater or a brass sensitone.

Based on sound, I'd go with the Pork Pie because the last 13x7 I played sounded awesome and it is a size that I don't currently have. I've got a bunch of 14x5.5s and I'm guessing you probably do too.

Aesthetically, I'd go for the BNOB DW because the artificially patina'ed (is that a verb!? Haha!) brass shells don't look very pretty to me.

Based on sound, I'd go with the Pork Pie because the last 13x7 I played sounded awesome and it is a size that I don't currently have.
This is what led it to be a choice. I'm intrigued by the size as I've never owned a 13" snare.

I keep looking for a good deal on either a free floater or a brass sensitone.
Pearl's Sensitone line is truly excellent. I played a Sensitone aluminum for a number of years before transitioning to wood snares full time. If you can find a deal on a Sensitone, don't hesitate to seize it, even if you pay a tad more than intended. You won't regret the extra expenditure.

To make things interesting and to sway @C.M. Jones there is now a 14x5.5 brass sensitone in the mix that just became available. I'm leaning pretty hard in that direction.
The Pearl is also firmly in the middle of the prices. Less than the Pork Pie but more than the DW.

Back