A night in the woods

A J

Encouraged by some Utube videos, I decided to spend a "solo overnight in the woods". I had only one rule: everything had to be packed in with one trip. Wife was fully supportive, wanting to get rid of me for an evening. So off I went to our "back 40"; thickly wooded land in northern Michigan. My site was on a small hill overlooking a creek.

Actually, it was kinda fun. I grilled two huge pork steaks over the fire and burned three large onions in a skillet. A small bottle of bourbon found its way into my pack as well. Heavenly!

I kept a fire going all night long to keep black bears away. I didn't sleep that well and didn't bring a gun (confident that Jack Daniels would protect me). I was on the ground on a thin yoga mat. It was still a pretty cool experience and I plan to to it again some time.

Next time,I will do a better job of preparing the site ahead of time and getting out there earlier.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
I'll bet the weather was perfect?

sounds like how I am going to spend my Thanksgiving Break and the week after Christmas

except I wont be in the beauty of Michigan....it will be in a State Park somewhere here in Ohio.

I hope we have some snow

C. Dave Run

Gold Member

sounds like how I am going to spend my Thanksgiving Break and the week after Christmas

except I wont be in the beauty of Michigan....it will be in a State Park somewhere here in Ohio.

I hope we have some snow
Allow me to stimulate your appetite:

20220224_094850.jpg
20220224_094843.jpg
20220224_094833.jpg

We actually got a bit of snow last year. It looks creepy, I dig it.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Mine too. The peacefulness is my draw. Everything here just feels better.

yep, that is why - as mentioned over in the lottery thread - I would spend mmy winnings on facilitating this, and not a ton of material things

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
yep, that is why - as mentioned over in the lottery thread - I would spend mmy winnings on facilitating this, and not a ton of material things
Totally.

I have found that since buying the house and moving here, our (wife and i) desires have changed. The house pretty much guarantees security. We no longer talk about "nice house, nice car, nice income" blah blah blah. Now its "let's make a rock walkway", or "we should put some Lilys over there" or whatever.

Reactions: A J

cbphoto

Diamond Member
I’m still scratching my head about @A J using a yoga mat to lay on. WTF. There’s are better ground mats with much better insulation (no chill from the ground).

Reactions: A J

A J

I hope we have some snow

It was a little warm, but no rain and no bugs. So overall, it was as close to perfect as you can get.

Hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving and Christmas excursions. Please let us know how they turn out.

A J

I’m still scratching my head about @A J using a yoga mat to lay on. WTF. There’s are better ground mats with much better insulation (no chill from the ground).

That's all I had. My wife's teal yoga mat didn't quite fit in with my "manly" assortment of camping / survival gear.

When I was in the Army, I had a whole closet full of field gear. A big move and downsizing caused a lot of that stuff to disappear. I probably gave most of it away.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Totally.

I have found that since buying the house and moving here, our (wife and i) desires have changed. The house pretty much guarantees security. We no longer talk about "nice house, nice car, nice income" blah blah blah. Now its "let's make a rock walkway", or "we should put some Lilys over there" or whatever.

yeah...that is also what I want too. If I wasn't married, it would be a Tiny house, built on a huge plot of land in the middle of nowhere

but to just have space and solitude would be the dream. And a place to build mountain bike trails...