A New Very Happy Member Of The Guru Owners Family!

What is special about it? What makes you love it so much?

So I could (and often do) go on and on about it but I'll try to keep it brief as I don't want to steal R2112's thunder.

1. The tone is rich, complex and unique. Overtones vary according to tuning but always blend beautifully with the fundamental. I play this drum every day and while I've always loved practicing, this makes it super easy to spend the day in the woodshed. Granted, there aren't many times I have a full day available but the point is, it always leaves me wanting more.

2. It's super responsive, whisper to roar. Ghost notes have a tiny little pocket of tone under them and the drum never chokes when I'm slamming backbeats at the end of the fourth set. My experience is that the responsiveness actually makes the drum a bit more difficult to play because, to my ears, variations in velocity and positioning translate into wider sonic variations. Kind of reminds me of how some people say direct drive pedals are a little too responsive. Hopefully that makes sense.

3. The tuning range at which the drum sounds great is extra, extra wide.

4. It's freaking gorgeous!

And so much for being brief. I'm gonna go home and play my drum.

So I could (and often do) go on and on about it but I'll try to keep it brief as I don't want to steal R2112's thunder.

1. The tone is rich, complex and unique. Overtones vary according to tuning but always blend beautifully with the fundamental. I play this drum every day and while I've always loved practicing, this makes it super easy to spend the day in the woodshed. Granted, there aren't many times I have a full day available but the point is, it always leaves me wanting more.

2. It's super responsive, whisper to roar. Ghost notes have a tiny little pocket of tone under them and the drum never chokes when I'm slamming backbeats at the end of the fourth set. My experience is that the responsiveness actually makes the drum a bit more difficult to play because, to my ears, variations in velocity and positioning translate into wider sonic variations. Kind of reminds me of how some people say direct drive pedals are a little too responsive. Hopefully that makes sense.

3. The tuning range at which the drum sounds great is extra, extra wide.

4. It's freaking gorgeous!

And so much for being brief. I'm gonna go home and play my drum.

Not stealing any thunder at all Spleen :) I always enjoy any descriptions of feelings or questions, ideas and comments. Especially ones as genuine as yours. You gave a completely accurate description that mirrors exactly how I describe my Santos Rosewood. Especially the brief part ;-) I could go on and on about this drum! I've never owned or played a drum that I would do that with.

I've never owned or played a drum that I would do that with.

2. It's super responsive, whisper to roar.
I'm reading these responses with utter joy. When someone "gets" what you've engineered into the instrument, devoid of solicitation, it's such a validation hit :)

All these elements are feeding into some damn special new stuff, & I had the pleasure of testing one design out today. Blew myself away - & some :)

I'm reading these responses with utter joy. When someone "gets" what you've engineered into the instrument, devoid of solicitation, it's such a validation hit :)

I've often put the sticks down and just sat there lightly tapping the head in different places with my finger. Amazed at the responsiveness and beautiful tone of the shell even at the tiniest of input. Smiling the whole time :)

these elements are feeding into some damn special new stuff, & I had the pleasure of testing one design out today. Blew myself away - & some :)

Wow! I can't wait to find out what all your coming out with next!

I've often put the sticks down and just sat there lightly tapping the head in different places with my finger. Amazed at the responsiveness and beautiful tone of the shell even at the tiniest of input. Smiling the whole time!

...and I thought I was the only one who did that!

I've often put the sticks down and just sat there lightly tapping the head in different places with my finger.

...and I thought I was the only one who did that!
We're developing the fixation / addictive behaviour group therapy section of our website. We'll let you know when it goes live ;)

Wow! I can't wait to find out what all your coming out with next!
It's not good for your health - or mine!

We're developing the fixation / addictive behaviour group therapy section of our website. We'll let you know when it goes live ;)

(X) Recurrent failure (pattern) to resist impulses.

(X) Frequently engaging in those behaviors to a greater extent or over a longer period of time than intended.

(X) Inordinate amount of time spent in obtaining the object of addiction.

(X) Preoccupation with the behavior.

Andy, I'll PM you my insurance information.

sweeet snare congrats, although coming from Andys personal collection there was most likely a film of stale beer on the batter head and and chocolate fingerprints on the sides. along with the potato chip crumbs on the inside, he snacks during assembly, that thing must need a steam cleaning.

sweeet snare congrats, although coming from Andys personal collection there was most likely a film of stale beer on the batter head and and chocolate fingerprints on the sides. along with the potato chip crumbs on the inside, he snacks during assembly, that thing must need a steam cleaning.

No, no...I asked Andy about all that. He said those weren't stains on the head at all. Andy said that was a special one-off head from Evans that came looking like that. He said it adds to the unique sound. He also told me the "chocolate stains" on the shell aren't chocolate at all. They're unique grain patterns that are super rare. I guess Dean looked through 100's of boards and only found one. Oh, and Andy said the "potato chip crumbs" were actually left over wood shavings that he likes to keep with the drum to allow the owner to get a real sense of the hard work that went into making it. Andy sure goes the extra mile!

What is interesting though is the strong smell I get of Guinness and fine Swiss chocolate every time I play it. Hmmm.... ;)

I recently was able to play my new Guru snare at church for all 4 services. The church's house kit and snare were built from a custom boutique builder out of California. He builds kits and snares with similar woods, bearing edges and styles from vintage 60's drums. The church's house snare is a 14" X 8" mahogany / poplar 3 ply drum with maple rerings. A big boy! I told both of the church's sound engineers that I was bringing in something special for them to hear. I wondered what they would think due to the Guru's smaller depth. Both of the sound engineers stood mid stage and asked me to play the church's snare first, then switch to my Guru to get a true comparison. As soon as I switched and played the Guru the look on their faces was priceless! The head sound engineer said, "dude, that snare sounds amazing...oh ya, we're definitely using that this weekend!" They immediately came over and began checking it out and asking questions about it lol. During rehersal both guitarists as well as the bassist and our worship director all commented on how awesome the Guru sounded. The Guru was a smashing success!! :)

Attachments

• IMG_copy.JPG copy.jpg
    IMG_copy.JPG copy.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 163
Congrats on the new snare-it's beautiful. All these good folks getting their Guru-ve thing on is killing me. Man it must be St. Patty's day cause color me green with envy.

Attachments

• Real-life-leprechaun-dog.jpg
    Real-life-leprechaun-dog.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 132
excellent picture behind the kit, nice tight looking setup. that man in the space suit is rumored to make pretty good stuff.....

Hallelujah!

Lol, amen!

Few snares are good enough for the Lord. This one clearly is.

Ha, I couldn't agree more :)

It was really great to hear it in that big room where it was able to breathe. It sounded so much bigger than it's size.

Congrats on the new snare-it's beautiful. All these good folks getting their Guru-ve thing on is killing me. Man it must be St. Patty's day cause color me green with envy.

Lol!! That's awesome!

excellent picture behind the kit, nice tight looking setup. that man in the space suit is rumored to make pretty good stuff.....

Thank you! Ya, not sure about his taste in work attire but he certainly knows how to make an incredible drum that's for sure ;-)

Back