A New Journey

Since I'm still on summer break (I'm a Science teacher), I will begin medical leave effective 8/6. I will then be officially retired September 1.... another new journey - God help me! :)

Science teacher, eh? New journey? Maybe some Stranger Things are in order?

Attachments

• HawkinsAVclubLoRes1.jpg
    HawkinsAVclubLoRes1.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 463
I know by the forum rules that this probably has no place here on DW, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

On July 18 I was informed that I have metastasized melanoma cancer in my liver, spleen, and vertebrae. Needless to say, I don't feel much like playing much right now. I just wanted to share what will be the beginning of a new journey for me.

After a Pet Scan next week, I will begin a series or treatments involving immunotherapy. From what little I know about it yet, the results appear to be good.

If allowed, I will keep those interested with occasional updates.

Take care,

Mitch

Edit: Sorry for the downer info.

No need to be sorry for the info. I sincerely wish you the best of luck on your treatment(s) and hopefully to be cancer-free!

A teacher-friend of mine from my high school days was diagnosed with cancer (don't remember which), and was given a set-time to live. She retired from her profession, and her husband retired, and they started traveling the world. It's been over 30 years and I still get postcards from wherever they are in the world. So attitude has a lot to do with too! But I'm sure you already knew that.

I’ll be counting on that Madge!!

Me too, chicken.

Just tell me when to start baking.

You're one of my best DW friends, and I can't wait to meet you.

... another new journey - God help me! :)

He will!

I'm a stage 4 cancer survivor for over 10 years. My oncologist told me, "The first thing you do when you wake up in the morning is to check the bottom of your feet for an expiration date. If you don't see one, LIVE!"

You need to (in no particular order):
Trust your medical team;
Absorb the positive energy from those who love and support you;
Stay positive, no matter how you feel;
Trust God/Creator of the Cosmos, that no matter the outcome, things will be fine;
Don't believe that you will be healed, KNOW IT;
Give back at least a little love to everyone you contact;
Remember to live every moment as if it were your last, because cancer or not, sooner or later you'll be right.

Love, hugs, positive energy, prayers to you, Mitch. You WILL be fine.

John

Well there you go! Awesome post Smoke and Im so glad ur a survivor!! Lets all follow Smokes lead and shove our foot straight up cancers arse! Stay strong Mitch and all my peoples, we got drumming to do! The music needs us...

Still pulling for you Mitch, I always will be. You are very much in my thoughts.

You must be thinking about stuff you've never thought about before. I can't even imagine. You're not alone. We love you.

You must be thinking about stuff you've never thought about before. I can't even imagine. You're not alone. We love you.

Yeah, you can, UL. As we get older, the thought of our mortality goes from blurry to a bit more focused. The Big C. puts mortality under a microscope - with stage lights! Things start getting real. But in fact, they always should be - healthy or otherwise. We all need a will; we should have an up-to-date road-map to all of our banking, business stuff and investments - for our survivors, because someday we'll have survivors. Why leave them in the dark in the middle of a mess?

Mitch's tough luck can be a catalyst for future planning for the rest of us. Why wait for a life changing event to "get our affairs in order?"

Looking back, what strikes me as most surprising after given the news, is not so much what was on my mind, but how much time it occupied. If not actively engaged in a task that required complete attention, my life and all it's trappings were right there in the front of my mind - bidden or unbidden. Funny to think of now...

He will!

I'm a stage 4 cancer survivor for over 10 years. My oncologist told me, "The first thing you do when you wake up in the morning is to check the bottom of your feet for an expiration date. If you don't see one, LIVE!"

You need to (in no particular order):
Trust your medical team;
Absorb the positive energy from those who love and support you;
Stay positive, no matter how you feel;
Trust God/Creator of the Cosmos, that no matter the outcome, things will be fine;
Don't believe that you will be healed, KNOW IT;
Give back at least a little love to everyone you contact;
Remember to live every moment as if it were your last, because cancer or not, sooner or later you'll be right.

Love, hugs, positive energy, prayers to you, Mitch. You WILL be fine.

John

Very wise and sage advice Mr. Smoke! You both will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Docs don't know everything I come from a long, long, long line of physicians-about 8 generations. Uncles, Dad, my wife, etc. I remember when we first moved to the small southern town I grew up my parents had rented a house. The owner used my Dad as a physicians and he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer-back in the 60s it was a sure death sentence (still is). My Dad told him so, try a treatment but to get his affairs in order. Well that just pissed off this gentlemen. He did none of the above-lived ten years and only died then of a heart attack. The mind-body connection has always been at play-studies show a strong connection with our immune system. My uncle did so with his prostate cancer and "willed" it to stay at bay for years with no treatment (course it's a slow progress disease)-he died of a heart attack too. Not saying ignore any medical advances (just the opposite I did a post-doc with hematologist/oncologist whose discovery has led to immunotherapies) and there have been significant advances. But good eating habits and good mental health-positive can really make a difference. Just like the negative and stress can give you a heart attack.

Mitch - the immunotherapy drugs are a game changer in treating cancer. My wife was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer 6 months ago. She has received five chemo treatments so far that include Keytruda. A scan done one month ago revealed that three tumors are now gone and the remaining three are dramatically smaller. The oncologist said she is in remission. She has at this point had no symptoms of the cancer and very little side effects from the chemo.

One bit of advice would be to not take much stock in statistics regarding life expectancy with your type of cancer. Those statistics are derived with population samples from years ago before advancements in treatment and contain a large sample of people of varying ages and health conditions at the time of diagnosis. As said above, trust your doctor and your treatment plan. Do not listen to well-wishers that are convinced you should see another doctor or look into another treatment type - they mean well but the effect is to undermine your confidence in YOUR plan. Best wishes and we look forward to your posts a decade from now and more!

Docs don't know everything I come from a long, long, long line of physicians-about 8 generations. Uncles, Dad, my wife, etc. I remember when we first moved to the small southern town I grew up my parents had rented a house. The owner used my Dad as a physicians and he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer-back in the 60s it was a sure death sentence (still is). My Dad told him so, try a treatment but to get his affairs in order. Well that just pissed off this gentlemen. He did none of the above-lived ten years and only died then of a heart attack. The mind-body connection has always been at play-studies show a strong connection with our immune system. My uncle did so with his prostate cancer and "willed" it to stay at bay for years with no treatment (course it's a slow progress disease)-he died of a heart attack too. Not saying ignore any medical advances (just the opposite I did a post-doc with hematologist/oncologist whose discovery has led to immunotherapies) and there have been significant advances. But good eating habits and good mental health-positive can really make a difference. Just like the negative and stress can give you a heart attack.

Well thats f'n great to hear! Coming from someone in the know, that is truly encouraging. Thanks Art, you seem to be the perfect blend of silly and brainy, thats pretty dang cool!

Checking in Mitch. To see if you're posting. My thoughts are with you man.

We'll be here, count on it.

Checking in Mitch. To see if you're posting. My thoughts are with you man.

We'll be here, count on it.

Yep, still posting. Thanks!!

I meet with the oncologist this afternoon. I should have some more concrete information on what's going to take place soon.

So sorry to hear your dealing with this damn disease Mitch. Stay strong, It appears you have a good treatment plan lined up. Prayers to you and family and beat this cancer.

Checking in again Mitch. Keep us apprised if you can.

Back