A new idea for drum construction?

Like a segmented shell?

Right, but built like a stave. I'm not big on stave personally. The note is too short to my ear. I'm wondering if it would be a hybrid sound. Something between a stave and a segmented. A stave drum with horizontal grain is what I'm envisioning.

Wouldn't horizontal grain make the shell much more unstable?
I don't know. My guess would be the same amount of stability, but I don't actually know.

I would think the pores would be exposed more in a horizontal stave, making for better glue joints. That's just a guess.

Wouldn't it be like a hollowed out log, which I've read somewhere aren't stable. I have not idea, I'm not a wood worker, nut I have a distant memory reading something about this in Modern Drummer back in the 90's early 2000's.

Andy would know the answer to this.

Wouldn't it be like a hollowed out log, which I've read somewhere aren't stable. I have not idea, I'm not a wood worker, nut I have a distant memory reading something about this in Modern Drummer back in the 90's early 2000's.

Andy would know the answer to this.
l a hollowed out log is still vertical grain. Yes, not the most stable of builds. Canopus solved that issue by milling an arc on the outside of the shell.

I'm not sure if anyone has ever constructed a horizontal grain stave shell. Wait, that can't be. Someone must have done this prior. I never had an original thought my whole life.

Buy a steam bent shell. Cut it horizontally into 1 inch sections and then glue it back together. Horizontal stave. LOL!!

Buy a 2x6 (or whatever width) and kerf the crap out of it and bend it. This idea is so dumb it just might work lol.

Built exactly like a stave shell, except the grain is horizontal.

Thoughts?
Found on another site ......

"As far as reasons.
Cosmetics, sound, strength, and ease of build are the main ones..."

"Segmented shells are made of "rings" of blocks, usually staggered for strength.
A stave usually has the grain running vertically for better glue joints. End grain is not the best for strength. However, I have seen stave drums with horizontal grain. The reason a segmented drum can get away with the end grain joints is because of the rings and staggering, like a brick house."

How about a stave drum made out of plywood? I always thought this was a hilarious idea.

So you mean upright staves, but they’ve been cut across planks of wood so the grain runs sideways.

I think they’d be prone to snapping/bending under pressure. And I’m not sure how the bearing edges would hold up.

How about a stave drum made out of plywood? I always thought this was a hilarious idea.
That's a Tamburo Opera drum, the older versions didn't even have bearing edges on the shell, they were stave shells made from plywood staves with flat edges and some sort of plastic attached on top and bottom to make contact with the heads.
I've heard many italian drummers say they were absolutely great sets, the pinnacle of italian drum craftsmanship and so on, but the idea seemed so backwards to me that I never went out of my way to try one out.

Built exactly like a stave shell, except the grain is horizontal.

Thoughts?
This is probably pendantic, but slightly changing how wood is cut and arranged before it becomes a circle doesn't awaken any sense of curiosity or wonder in me.

If we're talking about new ideas, I get excited about fresh takes with synthetic or metallic materials.

Back