A mistake that turned out okay

Stroman

Diamond Member
I was swapping heads on my old 1950's Slingerland Radio King student model, wanting to try a reverse dot Evans that I had laying around. There were some nasty stains on it from these red window clings I once used for gels, so I thought I'd clean it up first. Sprayed it with 409, and it took the coating off! I knew alcohol would remove the Evans coating, but I didn't know 409 would.

Anyway, I mounted it up, and it sounds great! Even sounded okay with brushes. Plus I get to see the almost-70-year-old mahogany inside. 😁

Attachments

• 20231207_150151.jpg
    20231207_150151.jpg
    681.2 KB · Views: 16
I vaguely remember someone used to sell spray cans of head paint. Lo and behold, here's a thread on the very subject... rewinding the DFO time machine to 10 years ago ........ 🕰️ ...... and, cue Bermuda....

Last edited:
I vaguely remember someone used to sell spray cans of head paint. Lo and behold, here's a thread on the very subject... rewinding the DFO time machine to 10 years ago ........ 🕰️
Very interesting. I'm not in a hurry to coat this one, because it sounds fine, but it's good to know it's doable.

Maybe an experiment for another day. 😊

Interesting, I use 409 on my coated heads occasionally if they’re starting to look a bit dirty but are otherwise okay. I only use Remo heads and the 409 doesn’t affect the coating at all. So that must be an Evans thing.

Interesting, I use 409 on my coated heads occasionally if they’re starting to look a bit dirty but are otherwise okay. I only use Remo heads and the 409 doesn’t affect the coating at all. So that must be an Evans thing.
Oh yeah, definitely an Evans thing! I've used 409, alcohol, whatever on the Remos and they're fine.

I put a clear batter head on my 6.5 X 14 snare drum. At the first gig it drove me crazy!!!! Being able to see through it to the bottom of the drum messed with my eye/hand cordination and my snare playing dynamics suffered. If I did not look at the drum while I played it I had no problem.

So I lightly sanded the head so that I could not see through it. That fixed the problem.

Last edited:
I put a clear batter head on my 6.5 X 14 snare drum. At the first gig it drove me crazy!!!! Being able to see through it to the bottom of the drum messed with my eye/hand cordination and my snare playing dynamics suffered.

So I lightly sanded the head so that I could not see through it. That fixed the problem.

Did that change the sound any? Was it a blend of coated/clear or anything?

Did that change the sound any? Was it a blend of coated/clear or anything?
No not that I noticed. But I was playing loud rock songs.
I just lightly sanded the underside of the head with 400 grit sand paper so that I could not see through it to the bottom of the snare drum.

Back