A little story

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
After 8 years, this rare little beauty is coming home. The first of only 3 steam bent English ash Origin series kits in existence, and a kit used in numerous sessions + video appearances. It's been in the highly capable hands of Dave McKeague since retiring from Guru demo service. It's seen a lot of gig action, but it's still in sound overall condition.

It might not be in my possession for a while yet, but when it does come home, it's getting a bare shell up restoration to showroom condition, including the ovangkol segmented hoops.

20" x 12" - 14" x 12" - 12" x 8".

classic1.jpg
Origin Dave.jpgOrigin Michele : Yolanda.jpg

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
The Cappuccino kit? I thought that was sold!

How is it that you are getting it back?

Grea and I are the proud owners of the other 2 ash steambents. Yea, that's a brag.

My ash kit has never left my house.
Yes, one in Australia, one in the USA, & one in the UK - this one being #1.

I thought it was sold too, but after hearing it was available again due to specific circumstances, I couldn't let it pass.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Do you guys find that ash is a pretty bright, piercing-sounding wood?
I wouldn't say that. Piercing is definitely not a word I'd use to describe ash. I feel maple is brighter. My ash kit is pretty much right down the middle as far as the bass/treble balance goes. I'd describe it as being about halfway between maple and walnut more or less.

I'm thinking that you had a traumatic experience with ash that left this impression on you.

BTW, I LOVE your new avi.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I thought it was sold too, but after hearing it was available again due to specific circumstances, I couldn't let it pass.
That's cool that you are getting it back. I feel bad for the original owner. I'm curious if the initial owner lost money or made money on the deal. This could be the only private sale of Andy era Guru drums that I'm aware of

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
That's cool that you are getting it back. I feel bad for the original owner. I'm curious if the initial owner lost money or made money on the deal. This could be the only private sale of Andy era Guru drums that I'm aware of
You're right, there is no precedent for this, but both the original arrangement and subsequent arrangement were / are in specific circumstances, so not relevant to general commercial values, whatever they may be.

I'm happy for you Andy, but I hope no one died for this to happen.
Nobody died - thankfully.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I’d die to have one LOL. Glad your baby is returning home-the prodigal drum kit has returned. The waiting part sounds dreadful but anticipation is good- so Carly Simon says. Can’t wait to see the kit shine again.

NouveauCliche

After 8 years, this rare little beauty is coming home. The first of only 3 steam bent English ash Origin series kits in existence, and a kit used in numerous sessions + video appearances. It's been in the highly capable hands of Dave McKeague since retiring from Guru demo service. It's seen a lot of gig action, but it's still in sound overall condition.

It might not be in my possession for a while yet, but when it does come home, it's getting a bare shell up restoration to showroom condition, including the ovangkol segmented hoops.

20" x 12" - 14" x 12" - 12" x 8".

View attachment 98630
View attachment 98631View attachment 98632
Very cool!!!! Can't wait to see more and hear more!!!

Jasta 11

Andy, What's the future plan for this kit? I could always offer my services to road test and review this kit! Normally I'm expensive but in the interest of the drumming community, I will undertake this effort free of charge...

madjack956

That kit would look awesome painted blue metalflake with black hoops. o_O
Congratulations on the new acquisition! I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I wouldn't say that. Piercing is definitely not a word I'd use to describe ash. I feel maple is brighter. My ash kit is pretty much right down the middle as far as the bass/treble balance goes. I'd describe it as being about halfway between maple and walnut more or less.

I'm thinking that you had a traumatic experience with ash that left this impression on you.

BTW, I LOVE your new avi.
I have a hollow-log ash kit that makes me wince every time I hit the 10” Tom. I think it might be extra-dense since the wood is from Canada. Plus, I tend to overreact to unexpected loud sounds. Lol

My avatar is my youngest son, Gary. He’s 7 months now.