A little help with mic/mixer options..

AHH!! i didn't see my computer now has a usb audio to focusrite option :) Perfect have stereo now... if only i would read the manual :)

And my mic inputs are analog 3-6 and don't have a line/mic option

AHH!! i didn't see my computer now has a usb audio to focusrite option :) Perfect have stereo now... if only i would read the manual :)

And my mic inputs are analog 3-6 and don't have a line/inst option
They don't have a mic/line option under the input settings tab at the top within the software?

Edit: My bad, nevermind.

Another suggestion would be to make sure that none of your monitors are muted in FC

Last edited:
I'm gonna play with mic placement and settings, will figure it out.. one quick question. If i start playing with a daw and eq/compression on the computer will it play what the daw is doing through the monitor ports on the 18i20?

I'm gonna play with mic placement and settings, will figure it out.. one quick question. If i start playing with a daw and eq/compression on the computer will it play what the daw is doing through the monitor ports on the 18i20?
You can. You would have to enable live input monitoring in your DAW first. Then you would hear both the DAW playback and the direct monitoring through FC. You can mute the direct signal (or single out the Software Playback (DAW) slider) and just listen to what the DAW is "spitting back out". In that scenario, you would want super low latency so there isn't a big delay from when you hit something and when the DAW processes the EQ/Compression/Reverb and sends it back out through your outputs. Hope that makes sense.

I just started fooling around with that (with reverb) and there is a bit of latency cause my computer is kinda (very) slow, but for reverb it wasn't a huge deal.

Thanks.. so far i abosulutely hate playing like this.. but i'm working on it.. it's like having half your hearing cut off.. can't hear little stuff or cymbals decaying at all.. Amost wondering if it's these ultraphones they seem to be missing all highs on everything..

Thanks.. so far i abosulutely hate playing like this.. but i'm working on it.. it's like having half your hearing cut off.. can't hear little stuff or cymbals decaying at all.. Amost wondering if it's these ultraphones they seem to be missing all highs on everything..
I started out always using in-ears from the absolute get-go, so I don't know what it's like to go from playing with nothing in your ears to monitoring drums with headphones. I know that for other things like mixing or bass playing, unless the cans are super tight, you lose a quite a bit of detail and volume with over the head headphones. In-ears are like a direct signal so you can preserve all the details, but I understand you mentioned some ear issues that prevent you from using them. I'm sure you'll be able to keep fooling with things to get it to a comfortable place for you. It takes time. Especially with a new endeavor like this, frustration is a part of the gig haha

When that happened in the beginning, I would just stop, move on, and act like I don't care. Then eventually when I returned, the solution was obvious and I was kicking myself for missing it.

can't hear little stuff or cymbals decaying at all.
If everything is set up properly, you should hear everything very clearly. Even your shoe rubber squeaking on the pedal.

Last edited:
If everything is set up properly, you should here everything very clearly. Even your shoe rubber squeaking on the pedal.

I just emailed GK and will see what they say... My old junk headphones i can hear everything much clearer they just don't isolate near enough..

I just emailed GK and will see what they say... My old junk headphones i can hear everything much clearer they just don't isolate near enough..
I meant you should be hearing every sound from the mics very clearly, and you should be able to easily deafen yourself using your setup. It seems to me your signal is attenuated. If it’s the GK headphones, then that’s a different problem.

I meant you should be hearing every sound from the mics very clearly, and you should be able to easily deafen yourself using your setup. It seems to me your signal is attenuated. If it’s the GK headphones, then that’s a different problem.

Yeah, i'm going to try my old headphones with this setup when i get home.. i didn't consider it til i was done playing around last night..

And yeah.. to get decent volume i'm having to turn the volume all the way up on the monitor port on the 18i20.. so something isn't right (i don't mean like motorhead volume...just a good decent level)

Yeah, i'm going to try my old headphones with this setup when i get home.. i didn't consider it til i was done playing around last night..

And yeah.. to get decent volume i'm having to turn the volume all the way up on the monitor port on the 18i20.. so something isn't right (i don't mean like motorhead volume...just a good decent level)
Have you used the GK ‘phones on your phone, computer or stereo to verify they are working properly?

Have you used the GK ‘phones on your phone, computer or stereo to verify they are working properly?

Yeah.. and they are missing highs.. i emailed GK this morning and got a reply within 20 mins which is awesome... he said they intentionally drop highs out due to most people buying their headphones have hearing issues already and the highs make the issue more painful.. i will get used to it is all..

how's your input gain looking? Like the knobs on the front of the interface for each mic channel? It all depends on the mic and sometimes having them at about 1-4 o' clock might be necessary to feed a decent signal. cause every interface as a different 'curve'
-----
Seeing that your headphones are based off of the Sony MDR7506's, I can empathize with the low volume issue. Looking up reviews, everyone says that they are "easy to drive" but I've always had to nearly max out my volumes with them on any interface/device. Only difference is mine have eardrum slicing highs which makes sense why GK shaved some off cause jeez

how's your input gain looking? Like the knobs on the front of the interface for each mic channel? It all depends on the mic and sometimes having them at about 1-4 o' clock might be necessary to feed a decent signal. cause every interface as a different 'curve'
-----
Seeing that your headphones are based off of the Sony MDR7506's, I can empathize with the low volume issue. Looking up reviews, everyone says that they are "easy to drive" but I've always had to nearly max out my volumes with them on any interface/device. Only difference is mine have eardrum slicing highs which makes sense why GK shaved some off cause jeez

Yeah.. i played with the levels and stuff for a few hours last night, the 18i20 is relly sensititve to changing the levels it can go from close to OMG i'm deaf when you barely move the knob... Best i have found for the snare mic is about 1/4" off the head pointing almost straight at it. which seems nuts so i will play more with that..

The kick is a 52b and seems to go from nothing to THUMP THUMP with no dynamics which is annoying, but i'm playing with it all. it's a learning thing:) i think once i get it decent then figure out how to do a DAW and compression and such it will get better.

The overheads are 37" above the snare about 3' apart i might try a X setup or glyn johns later..

I ended up just playing songs for a couple of hours last night and will work on it as i go:)

So it's getting better.... getting used to this setup, right now i have the 18i20 running into FL studio which has helped a ton.. i wish i could find a template for drums with the most common plugins and such already in there.. i don't know from compression and all that yet :)

So.. my far away sound issue is i think the overheads fighting right my close mics.. working on that..

My question today is about the SM57, i think i may have a bad one? to get decent output from this mic i'm havint to turn it to just barely under where it start clipping it's like it has a very low output. Is this normal for a 57? my overheads are giving me at least 3x the snare sound than the 57 that is 1 inch from the drum..

So it's getting better.... getting used to this setup, right now i have the 18i20 running into FL studio which has helped a ton.. i wish i could find a template for drums with the most common plugins and such already in there.. i don't know from compression and all that yet :)

So.. my far away sound issue is i think the overheads fighting right my close mics.. working on that..

My question today is about the SM57, i think i may have a bad one? to get decent output from this mic i'm havint to turn it to just barely under where it start clipping it's like it has a very low output. Is this normal for a 57? my overheads are giving me at least 3x the snare sound than the 57 that is 1 inch from the drum..
I am still new to recording but I'm pretty 80% of your drum sound comes from the overheads. I would say that's normal for any mic as close mics don't contribute very much on their own, but when mixed in with the overheads, they give you a fuller sound.

I have noticed that 57s do have a relatively low output, but I wasn't sure if it was something i was doing. They are popular, so they have to work for everyone else. I guess you have to learn how to work with them over time

thanks.. yeah it's a big learning curve... still sounds like the overheads are in a tunnel 50ft away.. will figure it out.

Back