A Little Happier with my Left Hand

Stroman

Diamond Member
Here's a quick video of me playing variations of a pattern on the practice kit. I feel like the work I've been spending on the left hand is showing some results.

I have a long way to go before it can do anything my right can, but the function feels better.

Last edited:
looks like regular sticks but doesn't sound like reg sticks
you got lawn clippings in them thar drums kinda early for mowing isn't it?

whats up ere..

looks like regular sticks but doesn't sound like reg sticks
you got lawn clippings in them thar drums kinda early for mowing isn't it?

whats up ere..
Evans Soundoff mesh heads.

Trying to avoid eviction. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: jda
I like how you play Brother (y)

Looks good. What are some of the exercises, resources, etc. you used?

Looks good. What are some of the exercises, resources, etc. you used?
Thank you. Most of the resources were the kind people here! I posted a little video previously and got many suggestions, and I tried most all off them. I also got Tommy Igoe's 'Great Hands for a Lifetime' and use that for an exercise base.

Some of the things that got the biggest results were the things that focused me on the fulcrum. I found it was wandering unintentionally. Double stops were suggested, and I started doing those in a mirror, which helped a lot in seeing just when my fulcrum would try to switch. I got lots of suggestions to use more wrist in the left hand, and that helped. I had this weird thing going on where I'd inadvertently switch from a grip with a proper fulcrum to a grip like swinging a hammer. The hammer was fine for backbeats, but I was having to switch up to play any ghost notes or quiet doubles.

One of the weirdest and most useful things came from a question about a clicking sound that a couple people heard. At first they thought it might be the sticks hitting together, but it was my ring. I have just learned to tune it out. Once I became aware of it, though, I find it was a really useful clue as to when I was slipping into what I call my cheater grip. The stick only hits my ring when I am throwing technique to the wind and relying on force of effort to play what I intend.

Another unexpected question was about whether I went cold turkey with traditional grip, and I wasn't. I find it so hard not to slip back into trad for intricate stuff! Resisting that urge has helped with matched grip progress, though.

At this point, I am using the mirror each time I practice, and now that I know more of what I'm looking for, I can quickly pick up when I'm slipping into old bad habits.

My goal is for the meme to no longer be true! Lol

Attachments

• 2023-07-18-1.jpg
    2023-07-18-1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 7
Sounding great Stroman-despite the mesh heads. I've been doing similar trying to bring my left hand to life. It feels really good when it gains more dexterity and independence doesn't it-everything starts flowing.

Since my left hand has gained it's own voice I've been experimenting with getting paradiddles going between kick and hats (that quick double on hats is tricky-but once you get it going it's sort of autopilot with both feet going) and then playing different rhythms with my hands on top of it-really screws with my brain if I think about it. It's a cool exercise I saw another drummer on Facebook DW do-I adopted and modified it-you can play paradiddles between any two limbs and then add other limbs doing something different is what this fella was doing. I'm starting with my feet first doing the paradiddle first because it's something I was already doing when I practice rudiments.

You have probably already watched this, but just in case. I really like Rick Dior and his lessons:

Back