A little CM love

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I do love Classic Maples...

Gotcha!

CM Jones, First of his Name, Ambassador of Pearl, Defender of all that's Good, Keeper of the Drummerworld Light...

Gifted to me a like new 22" Remo Coated PS3 Bass drum head, that was hit...from my estimation...less than 300 times with a hard felt beater.

I'm guessing it was a Pearl felt beater that was attached to a Pearl Eliminator pedal from the late 2000's ha ha.

On a lighter note, I've come back full circle to Remo heads. I tried enough of the other offerings and I am looking back to whence I came. It's like coming home, only sonically. Plus there's that distinctive Remo smell :)

Anyway, the target drum for this PS3 head is my beloved, betrothed, begotten Guru 22 x 16 segmented walnut bass drum with the maple hoops. She would be the YO! in Yolanda (the full kit name).

Full disclaimer: I am absolutely in complete bliss and endearment, and am so taken with the sound of this Guru bass drum. Dripping wet, supremely toneful and Mike Tyson punchy. A punch in the subsonic gut. That's with the coated Emad 1 with just one T shirt in it. Tall order to top, in my mind.

So I get CM's bitchin drum head, which is in perfect shape, and autographed in invisible ink, (he's so unassuming!) down to the studio to take off the EMAD 1. So I proceed to take off the coated EMAD 1 head. To my horror, there was a KING SIZED BEDSHEET in there. I haven't been in there since about late 2017 and I plum forgot. This laundry is a major quandary for me.

SO...It wouldn't be an apples to apples comparison because for now, I have to get all that laundry out. It's freaking me out. I LOVED the sound with the bedsheet in it. But I can't bring myself to put it back in. That's just plain wacky I know. This really is rocking my world and it's such a dilemma.

But I did put the PS3 head on of course. I also put three T shirts in there. It tuned up right away first time, boom. The drum plays more of a pure pitch with just three T shirts...compared to the more non-pitched punch in the gut with the bedsheet in there. I do like it for sure, how it is now. It's controlled by just the right amount. It is different. If I put the bedsheet back in, I don't know that I would hear a difference. I think the huge sheet is making it sound how I love. I just want to try it like it is, the PS3 with three T shirts in it, on my next few gigs. I will see how I like it from the throne and I will listen to the recordings on the ride home. Then I will know more about how I feel about the sound of it in the audience, my main target. Hey if I don't prefer it with the three T shirts in it, I may put the bedsheet back in and still use it. It looks better than the EMAD with that goofy foam holder thingy

My studio is not a good room for me to evaluate bass drums because of the 12 x 20 dimensions and the 6' 8" ceiling (366 CM x 610 CM x 205 CM). My next gig on the books are in January. That's where I really can properly evaluate it. (I'm just really paying CM back for taking soooo long to post his Pearl Music City snare drum review :p)

Seriously, CM, thanks a lot. Free shipping and everything. This forum has definitely improved for me since you've been here. You're an asset to this community.

This concludes the original post.

Last edited:
I'm just getting to know the regulars on here, and I am impressed at how eager they are to share their knowledge and how non-judgmental of different styles and different style drums they are. And CM's been right there helping me adapt to this crazy world that I abandoned shortly after my teens to play bass and guitar mostly and picked up about 40 years later a month ago.

Have not tried the coated, but I tried the clear on an 18" Yammy bass a couple days ago, and it kicked. Threw a whole monkey wrench into the whole Ambassadors on everything vibe I want when I get a better set of toms and bass drum.

This forum is a really great place filled with a lot of wonderful people. As someone who’s been a member here for quite a few years (I don’t post much but I read here daily; great stress reliever), I must say how cool it was for CM to send Larry that head, on the house. Many of us have witnessed Larry’s generosity over the years, giving away a snare drum and several other items as well, I believe. And now, that generosity has circled back to him; really great to see. Maybe there’s hope for the human race after all; Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Last edited:
Larry, I really have no idea what to write at the moment. I'm pleased beyond expression that you like the bass head and will be putting it to productive use, and I'm grateful to have been able to pass it on to you. As for the spirit of tribute with which you've courteously crafted this thread, I lack the machinery to do it justice with words. I have great fun in the forum, I've learned a lot during my time here, and I hope my posts, in one way or another, have been relevant (or at least entertaining) to those who have read them. I'm wholly unworthy of recognition, however. Many members here make valuable contributions, and I place the highest worth on their insights. I'm just a participant like everyone else. This is an exceptional community, an oasis amid an Internet desert of gloom and desperation. I'm privileged to have been admitted to this domain. That's a sufficient reward for me.

"I'm guessing it was a Pearl felt beater that was attached to a Pearl Eliminator pedal from the late 2000's."

You aren't far off. It's a Pearl P-930 pedal that I got last year -- wonderful performance and feel. I don't use the stock beater though. I prefer Pearl's B-300F solid-core felt beater, which ships on its Demon Drive pedal. It has a relatively soft attack, with emphasis on lower frequencies. Here it is:

Pearl B-300F Bass Beater.jpg

"I'm just really paying CM back for taking soooo long to post his Pearl Music City snare drum review."

Ha! I have to blame you guys for that one. I needed to garner comprehensive knowledge of the snare prior to posting my thoughts on it, so I spent a few weeks in the sound lab before reporting. Gear evaluations are taken very seriously around here. I just wanted to be thorough.

Again, Happy Thanksgiving to all of Drummerworld! Our ability to exchange ideas here gives us much to be thankful for.

Last edited:
Piling onto the CM love here. About a year ago, CM posted on here that he would be giving away one of his Zildjian S series crashes after he upgraded his cymbal collection to A Avedis. He wanted it to go to a deserving person without the disposable income to buy a cymbal like that for him/herself. While I didn't need it, a very good friend of mine who is a drummer and who owns a recording studio certainly could. My friend is one of those guys who never has a ton of money to spend on gear because he always pays his staff first, and there's usually little money left over for him at the end. Plus he always gives 1,000% extra on every project he works on, often underbilling and/or overworking himself to ensure happy clients. In short, he was the perfect recipient for CM's generous gift.

And generous it was! On the day he shipped the cymbal, he informed me that he decided to ship two crashes to my friend—16" and 17" S series thin crashes. Even when I offered to pay for shipping, he refused. All this going to someone he's never met or even conversed with online.

That shows the kind of character CM has. I hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving and I'm looking forward to playing those crashes next time I visit Texas.

My friend is one of those guys who never has a ton of money to spend on gear because he always pays his staff first, and there's usually little money left over for him at the end. Plus he always gives 1,000% extra on every project he works on, often underbilling and/or overworking himself to ensure happy clients.
Yes, independent studios are often up against it financially. It's a labor of love whose operating costs can exceed profit margins. Glad the cymbals have been of use to such an enterprise. I'm sure some great work takes place there.
I hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving and I'm looking forward to playing those crashes next time I visit Texas.
Same to you, and I hope to make it down to the studio at some point, either just for a tour or to record there as well. Preferably, you'll be present so we can meet in person.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, I just wanted to express my gratitude to CM as well. I'm new here, and new to drumming, and he's been one of the highlights of my experience.
Glad you're here, and I've enjoyed your posts too. What makes this forum work so well is that we have players who represent a diversity of backgrounds. Beginner, intermediate, advanced, part-time working drummer, full-time working drummer -- they're all present to give us distinct perspectives. I've learned as much from brand-new drummers as I have from those of us who have played for decades. Beginners especially force us to see things freshly, reconsidering what we sometimes take for granted. Thanks for all your input so far.

Last edited:
Larry you cut me to the bone I'm a huge fan of Evans emad one. I bought some high end Yamaha's in 2009 and both bass drums came with PS3 heads. I ended up putting aquarian SK1 heads on them, recently I've been enjoying the emads. I understand about you going full circle though I've been thinking about buying some remo pinstripes for my old Yamaha's that's what came on them in 1988. PS CM Jones is a cool dude
😁😁😁

Yes, independent studios are often up against it financially. It's a labor of love whose operating costs can exceed profit margins. Glad the cymbals have been of use to such an enterprise. I'm sure some great work takes place there.

Same to you, and I hope to make it down to the studio at some point, either just for a tour or to record there as well. Preferably, you'll be present so we can meet in person.
Let me know if you ever plan on going. I don't make it back to Texas much anymore, but I'm sure I'd be able to arrange a trip if I knew you'd be there. My mom constantly bugs me about visiting home, so she would be thrilled if I actually went there for once.

Larry, I really have no idea what to write at the moment. I'm pleased beyond expression that you like the bass head and will be putting it to productive use, and I'm grateful to have been able to pass it on to you. As for the spirit of tribute with which you've courteously crafted this thread, I lack the machinery to do it justice with words. I have great fun in the forum, I've learned a lot during my time here, and I hope my posts, in one way or another, have been relevant (or at least entertaining) to those who have read them. I'm wholly unworthy of recognition, however. Many members here make valuable contributions, and I place the highest worth on their insights. I'm just a participant like everyone else. This is an exceptional community, an oasis amid an Internet desert of gloom and desperation. I'm privileged to have been admitted to this domain. That's a sufficient reward for me.

"I'm guessing it was a Pearl felt beater that was attached to a Pearl Eliminator pedal from the late 2000's."

You aren't far off. It's a Pearl P-930 pedal that I got last year -- wonderful performance and feel. I don't use the stock beater though. I prefer Pearl's B-300F solid-core felt beater, which ships on its Demon Drive pedal. It has a relatively soft attack, with emphasis on lower frequencies. Here it is:

View attachment 110701

"I'm just really paying CM back for taking soooo long to post his Pearl Music City snare drum review."

Ha! I have to blame you guys for that one. I needed to garner comprehensive knowledge of the snare prior to posting my thoughts on it, so I spent a few weeks in the sound lab before reporting. Gear evaluations are taken very seriously around here. I just wanted to be thorough.

Again, Happy Thanksgiving to all of Drummerworld! Our ability to exchange ideas here gives us much to be thankful for.

Just ordered that beater to try out :) Looking for something between a bomber and a hard felt

Wow Larry. I get you into NAMM and he just sends you a bass drum head?

I see how you are.
I was hoping to withhold this information, but the bass head I sent Larry has mystical kinetic properties, not unlike a magic carpet. Next year, he can fly to NAMM on it. Also, when he rubs it, he can wish for the drums and cymbals of his choice, and they'll appear before him instantaneously. He may not need to go to NAAM again at all.

Wow Larry. I get you into NAMM and he just sends you a bass drum head?

I see how you are.
You're right. I gave you nothing in return. I feel like such a tool!

(hits forehead with palm) Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

I'm real sorry for my caveman manners.

Here's something...If you like lounging or sleeping in oversized T shirts, I could send you a large sized, never used, Ace Electric T shirt as a kind of a personal thank you.

They are very rare. There's less than 75 in existence. They have a pocket. They are black. 100% cotton. With a logo custom designed by my artist sister.

The best part? It would be the furthest any of my rare Ace Electric T-shirts have ever traveled in the US. So you would have that going for you too, not to mention the years of comfort you will certainly enjoy. Think of it. A tradesman's shirt from PA! And you're in California!

(twirls moustache, raises eyebrows) So what do you say? Hmm? Hmm? Hmm?

Last edited:
Back