A list for beginners and those wishing to come back

Liam

I have noticed that there are quite a lot of beginners that come on the forum asking for advice on what kit or cymbal to buy in __ price range. Therefore I ask you fellow members what do you think about making a resource for people wishing to buy drums and cymbals with the best gear to buy in a certain price range?

Jeremy Crockett

I have noticed that there are quite a lot of beginners that come on the forum asking for advice on what kit or cymbal to buy in __ price range. Therefore I ask you fellow members what do you think about making a resource for people wishing to buy drums and cymbals with the best gear to buy in a certain price range?

I understand the request but I don't think a consensus would ever be reached. I mean, this little fella starts internecine wars:

YSC.jpg

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
I think it would be better to have a fair list of kits in same range and then forum members experience with the kits from list. Real life experience with any given kit good, bad, or ugly. Maybe cymbal Pack reviews-warn against some if nothing else.

Liam

I think it would be better to have a fair list of kits in same range and then forum members experience with the kits from list. Real life experience with any given kit good, bad, or ugly. Maybe cymbal Pack reviews-warn against some if nothing else.
I think that could also get worked in

Drumdame

Silver Member
I was thinking that I would gather a list of options in a certain price range and then put them in a poll so that whatever option receives the most votes wins.
That sounds like a fantastic idea. When I became a member of this forum I asked tons of questions about sticks, cymbols, heads all kinds of things that would be a great idea.

JimmyM

Platinum Member
You know, even my Ddrum Diablos made of basswood and cheap hardware sounds pretty good with good heads and tuning. I’m probably going to sell them soon, but I’m not saying that because I’m selling them, but because I have a Ludwig Classic kit now.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
Perhaps it would be easier to make a list of issues of beginner gear. For example, if numerous people reported that the tom mounts slip on (insert kit here), that would be an issue worth noting.

We all have our likes and dislikes about everything. Keeping those out of the list would be somewhat difficult, especially if it is coupled with problems. Example: Not liking a specific spur. If the drums slide, one might be inclined to blame the spurs because they dont like them, not the tile floor the drums are sitting on.

wraub

Gold Member
As a fairly recent beginner, I have had two drum sets. I found them locally through online sales ads, and paid what I thought were good prices. Looking back, for one I paid the general going rate, and for the other, my current set, I paid less. This why I like buying used. Plus, there's no way I could afford a MIJ Yamaha drum set without going used.

I have used the same method for guitar and bass gear. Buy older higher end gear used and save money. Plus, you get better gear, cheaper. :)

roncadillac

Maybe a "thinking of ____? Get ____ instead" format?

For example, while I know there are a few people here who have/had a Ludwig breakbeats kit, I can guarantee you the universal response would be "get a pearl midtown instead". Or when people ask about budget cymbals, "get used A's instead".

Drumdame

Silver Member
Maybe a "thinking of ____? Get ____ instead" format?

For example, while I know there are a few people here who have/had a Ludwig breakbeats kit, I can guarantee you the universal response would be "get a pearl midtown instead". Or when people ask about budget cymbals, "get used A's instead".
Yeah I don't see anything wrong with buying used I got the deal of the day when I bought the Zildjian A's Custom.20220709_110554.jpg

Drumdame

Silver Member
Wow, cool pic! Nice set up and I dig your drum room!
My late husband made it his workshop/music room. It's only a cellar but am I glad to have it... I'm sure my neighbors are happy they can't hear me! LOL Here is a front view of my rig. 20220618_121626.jpg

Last edited:

GruntersDad

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
I got my drum set, Gretsch Renown , about a week old, for $650. when new it was $1200 or more. I found a guy leaving town in a hurry and it had to go. Nothing wrong with used, it is well cared for. Save a ton of money for cymbals, heads , etc. Making a list of new in different price ranges is OK but that's what retail stores are for. Look for what you consider to be a good brand and look for used. Money is whacky these days.

roncadillac

I got my drum set, Gretsch Renown , about a week old, for $650. when new it was $1200 or more. I found a guy leaving town in a hurry and it had to go. Nothing wrong with used, it is well cared for. Save a ton of money for cymbals, heads , etc. Making a list of new in different price ranges is OK but that's what retail stores are for. Look for what you consider to be a good brand and look for used. Money is whacky these days.
Very true and at the end of the day an object's value is simply a combination of how much a buyer is willing to pay and how much the seller is willing to let it go for.