A la Brann Dailor, anyone use, or have tried, suspension mount variants at the *bottom* of the drum rather than the top?

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I did that on a Mapex kit I used to own. I did it to help the toms sit a little higher but other than that I didn't notice any positive or negative benefits to mounting them that way.

Lee-Bro

I can't comment about about how it affects the tone of the drums, but having done with on a different kit w/ RIMS mounts, you do see more of the drums, meaning the shells aren't as obstructed by hardware.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Didn’t Sakae do this on some of their lines?
On all their lines.
does it change anything in term of balance or pressure?
About seeing more the shell, I guess it depends on the mount, for the starclassic pictured, it’s the same.

mrfingers

I did this on my Sonor toms to make mic attaching possible at the front/ top of the tom hoops which are blocked by the suspension brackets. Didn’t change the sound, tho.

mkelley

Looks janked up and I did this on a couple of kits but never looked right. I finally ditched RIMS and went to INDe BR-3 mounts instead.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
About physics, though I like the idea of suspension from the bottom; it seems more logical, in term of movement when struck, to hang the toms from the top.

Last edited:

Lee-Bro

The deeper your toms, the more potential for wobble and the lower your tom stand height will be. The kit I tried this on was my Granstar II kit that has 1" under power toms. I have a 15" x 14" tom and wobble was way too much. The 14" x13" was also questionable. My 10" and 11" toms were fine though. In the end I went w/ cradle type setups for the 15" and 14" toms.