A Jazz Drummer's "Stickitis"

I very frequently try out new stick experiments. I have discarded or given away more sticks than many of you have used.

I still haven't found what I'm looking for. [cue soundtrack]

Waiting on delivery of latest "experiment": Vater Sugar Maple Classics Big Band - Round Nylon Tip

I like fairly light sticks. I like a full 16" or more. I very late in life discovered I prefer Maple or Hickory. Who knew? I really prefer a round tip to an oval. Yet, I prefer nylon to wood tips, which really throws a wrench in it all.

I use different sticks based on genre and venue size. The louder the music and bigger the venue, the larger and heavier the stick I use.

Vater Sugar Maple bebop 500 for bebop and for big band in smaller venues.

Vater Sugar Maple 7A for big band in most venues and for praise and Worship.

Promark hickory 7A for blues/rock in small venues.

Vic Firth Keith Moon hickory for blues/rock in most venues.

Vic Firth 5A for anything in large venues and outdoors.

A pair of each stays in my bag all the time.

Here's my current crush: Vic Firth 7a Freestyle sticks. These sticks are 17 inches long, with an acorn tip. Wonderful. At least for right now!

In my late teens, while playing and touring in a rock and roll band, I got sticks willy-nilly. And I didn't care. I'd have a pro-mark in one hand, a Ludwig in the next. I had Buddy Rich Slingerlands, Ludwig Roy Haynes. I never even thought about it.

Sticks get about as much thought as my pedals, meaning the bare minimum.

Tuning is my big distractor

These things are just distractions that we fall for

My preferred stick is a 55A, sometimes using a stick like that, sometimes using a 5B or a 5A. Now I am using a 5A because I am now playing in a small church. I have been considering a stick a bit smaller than a 5A to help me keep the volume reasonable. Peace and goodwill.

Sticks get about as much thought as my pedals, meaning the bare minimum.

Tuning is my big distractor

These things are just distractions that we fall for
Well I play Jazz, Blues, Country and light Rock so I use different stick weights and oh yes wood rods. I saw one post that said 5 weight covered it all. Not for me. When in a small venue and backing a vocalist I use lighter sticks and hit with less intensity. I guess if I was strictly a Rock
drummer in a big loud band i'd stick with one stick
(pun intended) So I believe the music and venue should determine the stick. I also have both Hickory and Maple, bare and Nylon tips for different sounds in cymbals.
Just sayin'

I'm so glad I'm not the only one doing this! When playing rock stuff, I'm all about regular Vic Firth 5B. But as soon as I play anything more delicate, its like I need to try several different types of stick every month.

I was on the SD4 combos for a bit, AJ2s aswell, but for the last few weeks have been absolutely loving the Vater Sugar Maple 7A Manhattans. Wonderful feel and sound, but I'm sure I'll switch again in 2 weeks time

There was a while when I was VERY set on using maple sweet rides for jazz and phat rides for louder music-- cymbals were all K Cons. The strange thing is that since I've switched to the Paiste Masters cymbals I don't like the maple models at all. The hickory Phat Ride gives better definition on those cymbals, though I've got a bunch of 5as of various sorts. Everything sounds pretty great on those cymbals. So I HAVE been experimenting since the cymbal change, but I definitely don't swap during the gig unless the style of music has changed.

I've been working out a close mic sound. Those Birdland and maple 5A that I liked so well don't sound so great to the mics. Too much stick click. I got some Pro Mark Shira Kashi (white oak) and they are kinda nice. A little short but sound good. They are taking some effort to be able to control my volume, but it's good practice and these sticks last forever.

I've been all over with sticks too, a few different models of varying sizes and lengths from each company.

Started out with Vic Firth, tried Pro-Mark, went to Regal Tip, checked out Vater when RT pretty much became non-existent, and now back to Vic Firth. Really digging the old classic 7A, especially the DoubleGlaze version. Pretty darn close to the RT lacquer finish.

The Vaters I tried didn't stick. [pun intended]

The stick I have spent the most time with happily has been Regal Tip Jazz Nylon. But, I have bailed on them because of the lack of availability - or people willing to answer my email. I am now in the middle of a run with Promark Jazz Nylons. I am liking them very much.

Back