A great rehearsal alternative!

aydee

Platinum Member
Maybe I'm the last person on earth to discover this, BUT:

I'm working on playing in a second band, with a couple of guys who are having a hard time meeting up for rehearsals.

The usual time & space constraints...

SO... we started exchanging mp3s instead.

The bass player would put his part down, mail it to the guitar player and then to me.

Now my home kit isn't rigged up to record so I was at a loss to contribute to the tune.. till my 12 yr old pulled out his Mac pro (me, a PC man, meself ), dragged the mp3 into the garage band program & recorded me playing along to the mp3 with the buit -in mic.

Easy & painless as pie.

The drums don't sound great but they don't sound terrible either. Certainly good enough to get ideas across to the other two.

'tis a miracle , IMO..

If there are some other knuckleheads like me, cribbing about the hassles of meeting up to make music..

here's a really simple way out.

mrchattr

Gold Member
Maybe I'm the last person on earth to discover this, BUT:

I'm working on playing in a second band, with a couple of guys who are having a hard time meeting up for rehearsals.

The usual time & space constraints...

SO... we started exchanging mp3s instead.

The bass player would put his part down, mail it to the guitar player and then to me.

Now my home kit isn't rigged up to record so I was at a loss to contribute to the tune.. till my 12 yr old pulled out his Mac pro (me, a PC man, meself ), dragged the mp3 into the garage band program & recorded me playing along to the mp3 with the buit -in mic.

Easy & painless as pie.

The drums don't sound great but they don't sound terrible either. Certainly good enough to get ideas across to the other two.

'tis a miracle , IMO..

If there are some other knuckleheads like me, cribbing about the hassles of meeting up to make music..

here's a really simple way out.

Yup...it's a great little trick. I actually was once hired to record drums this way for a demo...I was sent the MP3 files, plugged my electric kit in (which he said was fine, since it was a demo), and laid my tracks. It was for an artist who I have never met in person, who lived in Houston, TX (I live in Central PA). The bass player he choose laid his tracks in Los Angeles.

aydee

Platinum Member
Yup...it's a great little trick. I actually was once hired to record drums this way for a demo...I was sent the MP3 files, plugged my electric kit in (which he said was fine, since it was a demo), and laid my tracks. It was for an artist who I have never met in person, who lived in Houston, TX (I live in Central PA). The bass player he choose laid his tracks in Los Angeles.

The E kit would sound heck of a lot cleaner, I'd imagine..no external mic if you're plugging in... but you're right, it really works.

Class A Drummer

Pioneer Member
Thats a cool little thing to do. But i dont think it beats a good ole rehersal with the whole band... but you probably already knew that.

burnthehero

Pioneer Member
I was praying this thread wouldn't be about Rock Band.

Anywho, that sounds like a lot of fun. Slow, but fun.

aydee

Platinum Member
I was praying this thread wouldn't be about Rock Band.

Anywho, that sounds like a lot of fun. Slow, but fun.

No worries there, BTH.
The good thing that seems to be happening is instead of 3 rehearsals to nail down a couple of tunes, we need just 1.
Thats because everyone knows not only their parts better, but also knows what exactly the other guys are doing. Its good prepwork, and we're a lot more together when we begin a real rehearsal.

D

DamoSyzygy

I use this method often aswell. Its great for helping with arrangements for songs without burning up valuable studio time trying to figure out how to put a song together.

Drummer Karl

KARL MEMBER
I`m a bit sceptical about this kind of rehearsal.
I think that rehearsing really needs the live experience. Eye contact is so important, to react on each other in a live situation is an essential base for a rehearsal.

Though I think that it`s a nice idea to record yourself and send it to the next one. We often did that when we had song ideas. Our guitar player recorded herself, sent it to the singer so that we had a melodic base for first. It`s a good practice in a few ways. It`s great to develop ideas and to get familiar with an arrangement.

I just don`t believe that it`s an effective method of rehearsal. I think that being together there is very important.

Just my opinion...

Karl

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
Before the digital age I was using this method using cassettes, lots of ping ponging. LOL
MP3's are a great way to collaborate on music and like you said, it's more or less a hobby band.