A Great New App: DRUMGURU...check out...

Bernhard

Founder Drummerworld
Staff member
My friends at Hudson Music developped a new app for i-phone and i-pad: DRUM GURU.

You can download it for free with some samples (also free) and then you can also buy lessons by Steve Gadd, Mike Portnoy, Steve Smith, Chad Smith and then soon much more for a very moderate price.

In my opinion the app is so easy to handle and just great. You can watch the lesson and also start practising in different speeds....very clean, simple and easy....

Important to know: All fresh lessons, nothing from the existing Hudson DVD's....

We would be very interested in some feedback - what do you think should be improved and changed, or some suggestions??

Please check out and download the free samples of Steve Gadd, Chad Smith......let me know.....

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/drum-guru/id508081854

Thanks

Bernhard

Attachments

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Bernhard, unfortunately, I don't have a device to use these on, but it does sound like a great way of delivering quality lessons in a portable format. Good luck with the program.

Of course, I was brought here by Guru ;)

MaryO

Platinum Member
Just downloaded the ap. checked out a few of the lessons in the sample pack. Will definitely get one of the beginner packs and see how I like the lessons but from what I've seen so far, it lloks great!

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Guru Drums, Drum Guru??? It's not fair to confuse an old man. I will check it out.

Well 25 minutes has gone by and I have watched three of the sampler pack and must say I like the idea of simple lessons, slo-mo, written notation.
I don't think that 4 dollars for 8 lessons is too expensive as long as they update the catalog frequently. Some learn faster than others and will want to move along.
Others, me, will need to play them over and over to get them proper. I would also like to see the app on my iMac so that i don't have to stare at my iPhone for too long.
The portability is nice but a larger screen would be great.

Last edited:

MaryO

Platinum Member
I downloaded to my iPad with no problem. I just ordered the basic fills pack and can't wait to get to work :)

MaryO

Platinum Member
okay, just have to add one more comment. Just worked for about an hour on the basic fills back. LOVE it! My favorite being the little shuffle fill that Steve Smith shows. It's simple but works beautifully!!! This is just the type of thing I've been looking for .

It must have worked because when I came back upstairs after trying a few fills in with some songs, the boyfriend looked at me and said "who was that playing down there, they sure sounded really good!" He he, it was ME! With just a few of these techniques I'm already showing marked improvement on my fills.

One minor change I would like to see though, at least on the fill pack...In practice mode, it would be nice if they would play the beat with the fill instead of just looping the fill. Other than that...it's all pretty good.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
I have no iPhone, iPad or iAnything :)

So this kind of modern technology is not useful for me, maybe it's time to get up to date with some of today's applications.

Drums558

I am not getting sound with the sample pack on my IPad. Do I need to use head phones/ear buds with this app or do I have a problem with the download?

MaryO

Platinum Member
I am not getting sound with the sample pack on my IPad. Do I need to use head phones/ear buds with this app or do I have a problem with the download?
You must have a problem with the download, I put mine on my iPad with no problem. I would try removing the ap and reloading.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Guru Drums, Drum Guru??? It's not fair to confuse an old man.
I know, I know, what's a man to do :)

I would also like to see the app on my iMac so that i don't have to stare at my iPhone for too long.
The portability is nice but a larger screen would be great.
I agree with that Grunt. On my iMac would be great, & I can't see why it shouldn't be. Is it technologically that different?

Rob Wallis

"El-Jefe-Hudson Music"
I want to thank you all for your comments about Drum Guru. I have been working on this for 2 years and are very interested in your comments, ideas, suggestions etc.

There have been a few cases of download problems. This is because I have tried to keep the video quality as high as possible and because of this, the file is very large and the download takes some time. If there is an interruption in the download, the audio or video will not play back properly.

The fix is to delete the App and re-install it. If you bought a lesson pack, you always have a "re-installl option" so you will never loose anything you've paid for.

I value you feedback and have a lot of ideas as to where we can go with this in the future. Thank your for your support. It is very much appreciated.

Regards
Rob Wallis

N

nhzoso

Any way to get it on the more Modern and technically advanced Androids? : )

Hfxshark

Drum Guru works great on my latest edition iPad. (iPad 3). I've purchased lesson packs already, as well as checking out the freebie files.

I think this is a great product. Surely Hudson must be looking towards the future with DVD sales in general on the decline. Also, as someone who owns every Hudson DVD, I have to wonder if they are struggling (for lack of a better word) with creating fresh and new concept DVDs.

My main concern is the price. For the cost of 3 or 4 Drum Guru lesson packs, I'm spending $12.00 to $20.00. Compared to a quality instructional DVD, at approximately the same price, I feel these Drum Guru 'mini lessons' are falling short.

Surely with Hudson saving on all the related packaging & distribution costs (etc). ... they should be able to provide these packages at a much more reasonable cost to their legions of drumming customers.

If my comparison to a 2 or 3 hour hard copy DVD isn't enough of a comparison, or is less than convincing, then lets look at the incredible value of eDrum lessons and master classes offered by a spectacular online company like DrumChannel.com. For $5 per month, you have a lifetime of valuable lessons, and FULL ACCESS to all past and future features.

I'll continue using Drum Guru with hopes for lower pricing and more in- depth lessons for all levels of ability (currently the lessons appear to lack any advanced level training, though I suspect that will change as they expand their library).

rustyfingers

I know this is an old thread but here's a quick take from a beginner'ish drummer.

App was quick to download/install on my IPAD. Picked up the Peter Erskin pack and it was awesome and I learned quite a bit from lessons.

But...

You can't print the transcription and that, to me, is a show stopper. I was about to get one of the Steve Gadd packs but changed my mind because I knew I couldn't print the transcriptions. If they ever get that going then I'll pick up some more lesson packs.

Dennis

dboomer

I loaded it and ran through some of the sample videos. Seemed pretty good. Then I paid for a couple more and was completely dissatisfied. There' s no way to know exactly what you are paying for without actually committing.

I don't mind paying for something useful. But the money I spent was a complete waste. I'm done with it!