A good source for aluminum hoops and lugs?

Steve30907

I have an old acrolite I stripped and decided I'd like to go all aluminum. I intended to hit it with grinder like the AVH signature but after polishing, it looks too good as is. I can't find 14" 8 hole aluminum hoops. I'm considering the no flange claw type. Also looking for aluminum tube type lugs.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
To the best of my knowledge only Yamaha makes aluminum hoops, and those are only made as a die cast-type hoop. I'm not aware of any single/double/triple flange aluminum hoops currently available. Flanged aluminum hoops would not be very durable.

As for lugs, I'm also not aware of anyone making aluminum lugs, and I would not want them. Again, aluminum is not a very durable metal and using it in high-stress applications is just introducing unnecessary failure points into the drum.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
If you find TF aluminum hoops, let us know. Aluminum lugs are a bad idea. You probably can't get them either.

Steve30907

Odery has some beautiful hoops but I think they only come as a custom option on their drums. I decided to put off buying parts to pickup a bop kit. I think I'm gonna just pickup a new gibralter/dunnett throw and use the original lugs. They cleaned up pretty nice after some white diamond.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
If you're looking to replace the throw off I'd suggest Inde. It's a lot more low mass, lighter, and an awful lot more attractive than the boat anchor Dunnett calls a throw off.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
There are plenty of sources of aluminum lugs, I googled it and this was the 4th search result:

Aluminum lugs

just scroll about halfway down.

If you want aluminum hoops, you’ll probably need to find them on eBay.

Steve30907

There are plenty of sources of aluminum lugs, I googled it and this was the 4th search result:

Aluminum lugs

just scroll about halfway down.

If you want aluminum hoops, you’ll probably need to find them on eBay.
I should have specified I was looking for in the raw unchromed. But I'm saving my money for a kit I wanna pickup. I'd be about 300 into the acro that's 1/3 of the price of the kit. I used to hate bowties but they're not too shabby polished up against the raw shell. I'll pickup that inde throw and call it good.