A good snare drum etude for me?

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
I need to start learning a snare drum etude to apply to humber college in the next month or two. I like to think I have pretty good technique, moeller, one handed roll stuff, work on marching and snare drum work when dealing with new orleans and latin grooves, so I havent worked on this type of practice in years. I love marching drumming, but only stuff like you'd find from new orleans, with a bit of a "lilt" to it. I'm guessing every snare etude is straight and.....boring? ANyway, if someone could recommend a difficult piece, please do! Thanks

johanisu

"The Charley Wilcoxon Modern Rudimental Swing Solos for Advanced Drummers"

There are loads of solos in there, I would say they are more marching than swing, as the title suggests.

autonomos

Wilcoxin, Delecluse, Cirone, are all standard solo snare drum etudes.
My favorite is Cirone's Portraits in Rhythm. Etudes are supposed to help you develop specific techniques and they all do that... but I like the Cirone book the best, just personal preference. It suggests that you look at a snare drum etude as something bigger, a piece of music in itself. If I remember correctly, there's a brief introduction and performance suggestions written before each etude.
I think the Wilcoxin is a bit more rudimental in nature.
I have the least experience with the Delecluse but can remember struggling with it and being reminded that it requires a different approach than the American stuff I was practicing at the time.
All three are good and all three will challenge you in different ways.

bigd

Silver Member
I'd say Delecluse if you can handle it or the Cirone. My 15 year old is working in the Douze etudes book and it's quite tricky.

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
i got the advanced delecluse piece. But I have one question about number 11. It says for the tempo...half note = 80

Since its usually a crotchet equals 80, does this affect the temp at all, or is it still played at 80bpm??