A funny one to share from last night's gig.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
New venue for us, actually, a very cool gigging room with a raised bar & lounge at the opposite end to the stage. Around 400 audience, funky retro music decor & a plenty of stage room. We finished the night, & we'd all walked off stage, when the owner runs up to me & offers an extra $200 for another 30 minutes. We agreed. Band gets back on stage & fires up a new number. We're 8 bars in, at the point the vocals come in, & we suddenly realise we haven't got a vocalist! Because of the stage lighting, we sort of missed that little fact. Anyhow, we keep playing a loop, the guitarist layers a solo over the top & we give it a jam feel. After about 2 minutes, the singer comes running through the crowd & stumbles on stage. He's trying to button up his jeans whilst finding the "on" switch on his radio mic. The ensuing fumbling in his groin area is noticed by the crowd & everyone has a good laugh. The song is finished without further incident. Thank god he didn't end up with a "map of India" on his jeans, lol!

PreppieNerd

Silver Member
Sweet. Your tunes must really make people want to drink. 200 for a half hour. May I ask what the initial pay was for perspective?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
"And now for this next number... I'd like to bring out an old and dear friend of mine"

o.0
Hahaha, I'll have to remember that one!

Sweet. Your tunes must really make people want to drink. 200 for a half hour. May I ask what the initial pay was for perspective?
Our rates start at $700 USD for the smaller venues, plus travelling expenses & free drinks for band & crew. We're not money heads. It's a straight "bums on seats" calculation. As for the extra offered, there was circa 400 audience. If each one buys just 1 extra drink, that's paid our extra 4 x over. A no brainer for the club owner.

We get several times that fee for bigger stuff, but think about it. That gig represented 10 hours work for each band member, that's from leaving to getting home again, & each member takes an average $100 from the smaller gigs. $10 an hour ain't much when you consider we travel with & maintain $40,000 worth of stage gear.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
He can be thankful he had to fumble to turn the mic on after he'd sought relief.....better than leaving the thing turned on while he was otherwise indisposed. Not the first time someone's suffered that indignity.

A

audiotech

This is what makes wedding receptions and corporate parties so lucrative.

Dennis

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
He can be thankful he had to fumble to turn the mic on after he'd sought relief.....better than leaving the thing turned on while he was otherwise indisposed. Not the first time someone's suffered that indignity.
Haha, yes PFG, taking the radio mic into the urinal isn't a great idea.

Dennis, what do you mean, being offered more money to play longer? We don't do corporate or wedding gigs, although we'd consider it if it was the right vibe (i.e. a rock audience). I agree though, the money paid for such gigs, & club level tribute act gigs, is far greater than the standard pub/club circuit. Our band bucks the pub/club trend big time. We get over double the going rate for the scene. The reason is simple economics, we bring the punters in! As an example, this was the first time at this pub/club venue. We went down really well, especially considering the crowd hadn't seen us before. We were booked on reccommendation from another venue management (btw, we don't use an agent). After the gig, we negotiated a new year's eve deal for $3,000 plus accomodation & all expenses. That sounds like a lot for a pub/club with a 400 capacity, but the numbers really add up. New years eve, the venue will make a $8/head cover charge. That pretty much covers our cost. Then they'll take an average of $30+/head over the bar, so that's a $12,000 night gross. Drinks margin is 50%+, so the venue will take minimum $6,000 less staff costs of around $1,000.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Ha! Nice tale, Andy. Imagining the thoughts going through your singer's head (the big one) while he's standing at the trough ... WFT? OMG! He must have felt like Austin Powers, wondering if the stream would ever stop ... c'mon c;mon c'mon ...

10 points for enthusiasm and dedication, charging out there before doing up his fly. Whatta guy!

Oh, and could you please explain this strange "map of India" concept in vivid detail so this poor little protected innocent from downunder can understand?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Ha! Nice tale, Andy. Imagining the thoughts going through your singer's head (the big one) while he's standing at the trough ... WFT? OMG! He must have felt like Austin Powers, wondering if the stream would ever stop ... c'mon c;mon c'mon ...

10 points for enthusiasm and dedication, charging out there before doing up his fly. Whatta guy!

Oh, and could you please explain this strange "map of India" concept in vivid detail so this poor little protected innocent from downunder can understand?
Hahaha, yes, the vision of him panicking as he hears the band fire up, then the point where the vocals come in & he's mid flow, lol!

"Map of india", think of the shape on the atlas Pol.

A

audiotech

Haha, yes PFG, taking the radio mic into the urinal isn't a great idea.

Dennis, what do you mean, being offered more money to play longer?
Yes. There's rarely a time that it doesn't happen. So were usually all prepared to be at these events an additional hour or two from what's stated in the contract. It makes sense since were already there and everything is set up.

Dennis

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. There's rarely a time that it doesn't happen. So were usually all prepared to be at these events an additional hour or two from what's stated in the contract. It makes sense since were already there and everything is set up.

Dennis
Ah yes, I couldn't agree more. When you consider we mostly get paid for travelling & humping gear, getting extra to do something you ordinarily do for free is a great bonus. Not that usual outside of the private function arena though, as local authority time limits typically prevent playing later, at least in the UK.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Dam dude, you guys get paid well. Andy, your drumming endeavors are ever escalating, your playing is steadily improving w/ every vid I see...(that 2nd fill on your "cock up" vid was quite the treat, very nicely done!) You're building that drum set...Plus here, you are the very first one to listen to anyone's vids and are so encouraging to the new members...I can feel your drumming presence growing by leaps and bounds even from across the Atlantic. You are among the biggest assets here, and I just wanted to say how much I enjoy all you offer here. Look up classy guy in the dictionary and there's a pic of you.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Dam dude, you guys get paid well. Andy, your drumming endeavors are ever escalating, your playing is steadily improving w/ every vid I see...(that 2nd fill on your "cock up" vid was quite the treat, very nicely done!) You're building that drum set...Plus here, you are the very first one to listen to anyone's vids and are so encouraging to the new members...I can feel your drumming presence growing by leaps and bounds even from across the Atlantic. You are among the biggest assets here, and I just wanted to say how much I enjoy all you offer here. Look up classy guy in the dictionary and there's a pic of you.
Thanks Larry! That new year's deal doesn't represent the norm. NYE gigs are special for the club owners, & also for the acts they book. It's that one time in the year everyone's guaranteed to pull in the punters to capacity, & those punters are going to spend money big time. Damn, even most pubs make a cover charge without putting any entertainment on whatsoever. We also do gigs for free occasionally. Our roadie's wedding this Saturday being an example (although exceptional, we don't do weddings).

As for your other very kind remarks Larry, I'm lost for words! I can feel my playing's improving a little each time, mainly because I'm blowing away decades of cobwebs. Not there yet, but there is steady improvement. If only I practiced! Actually, I'll be fixing that soon. As for taking part in the forum, I just enjoy it so much, & like anything you enjoy, you put a bit more in than perhaps you should. I admire both the mix of characters and the skills contained in this forum. I know my place, & that enables me to both help out guys starting their journey, & also learn a lot from the guys here who really know what they're doing. This is indeed a cool place with some cool people, & non more sub zero than you Larry.