A Fun Jam

aydee

Platinum Member

Exactly that. A fun afternoon. Brandon Ross, monster musician on guitar, Jeff a 19 yr old kid on Bass, and VInny, another peachfuzzed kid on keys, and ol' man me trying to keep up with this crew.

Small rehearsal studio, with one of those ZOOM H something jobees, with stereo condenser mics in the middle of the room:

View attachment Four Sins.mp3

View attachment Wank.mp3( appropriately named, because I start out at a tempo I cant hold up. Soon, I lock up, collapse into half time, and Brandon has pity on on me, slows it down.. and we train wreck it together.. )

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Alright! OMG I love this track Abe. You really set the mood just right w/ your drum part. (As did your mates) It moves along so smoothly, really spot on meter/tempo feel, nice nuances, good listening to the others, tasty little flourishes and fills placed just right and executed w/ confidence. You were definitely in the groove on that one. (As well as the whole band). The way the song went out at the end where you got to shine through a little more....I wanted it to keep going. How long have you been playing? Damn fine stuff.
Wank is pretty progressive to my ear. You're a damn fine player dude. Is that all original worked out stuff or just made up on the spot?

aydee

Platinum Member

Thanks much for the very kind words, Larry.

This was just Brandon playing on-the-spot riffs, then we'd work out the chords and a groove...and hit the record button after 10 minutes of figuring it out. Not rehearsed at all, and all original.

Me, I been playing on & off for 15 years.. with a huge sabbatical in the middle.

Last edited:

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Im sorry Abe but that's just not Jazz! That's watered down crap! Elevator music!
Ops, Wrong thread, Sorry, LOL!

I loved it, Great job! I saved it in my iTunes files.

aydee

Platinum Member
Im sorry Abe but that's just not Jazz! That's watered down crap! Elevator music!
Ops, Wrong thread, Sorry, LOL!

I loved it, Great job! I saved it in my iTunes files.
Cheers, Bob, I can feel the love : )

naw, thats not jazz...... which is probably why you liked it. Thanks !!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry Abe, just seen this thread. Totally superb stuff my friend. Especially like the four sins jam. Really spot on interpretation plus a lot of left hand skill. That's certainly a prog fussion band happening right there. Great vibe and no holding back on the fills. Do some more of this, really, do lots more.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Bob's right. Damn, that Four Sins tune is a perfect cover for Kenny. Hey, he could dub some soprano over it and ... hey presto! Instant fusion cred!

Very cool fusion drumming. No idea how you can be so tight with so little preparation. You were in fine form. I don't blame you for petering out in Wank - it was cooking.

aydee

Platinum Member
Sorry Abe, just seen this thread. Totally superb stuff my friend. Especially like the four sins jam. Really spot on interpretation plus a lot of left hand skill. That's certainly a prog fussion band happening right there. Great vibe and no holding back on the fills. Do some more of this, really, do lots more.
Thanks Andy, glad you liked it. We ran the recorder on a couple more tracks. I'll see if I can upload those as well...