A first

Not sure if I'm the only cop on here, but I'll reply anyways. First, it's really frustrating when someone commits a crime and the cops get blasted for doing what were sworn to do. If you did this job for one week you would realize that it is extremely hard to deal with. People yell at us and cuss us out, but are the first one's to call when they need help and then they complain when were not there within 1 minute. Like cops or not, if there were no one to enforce the laws (whether you agree it should be a law or not) this world would be more out of control than it is. Needless to say, there would be total chaos.

Some might say that cops should turn there heads to certain things, but we have people calling all the time telling us that there are certain activities going on here or there and "why aren't we doing something about it". It's really a no win situation. As to how the cops treated you, I can't comment cause I wasn't there, but I do deal with drunks and beligerent people all the time and I am a very patient, nice person, but sometimes you just have to be a little forcefull or people will just walk all over you. Also concerning Miranda, everyone thinks as soon as your arrested that you need to have your rights read to you. NOT TRUE... Miranda is for custodial interrogation, I can arrest a person and take care of all paper work without asking you any incriminating questions and if I do ask questions after your in custody, then those statements are not admissable in court.

And for the person that commented "Pigs suck", I hope you never need a cop because someone steals your drumset or assault's you or hits your car and leaves the scene or steals your identity ect., ect.. Just remember, we do alot of good things besides just writing tickets and harassing people for smoking dope.

Man, I never thought I would have to deal with people degrading cops on a drummers forum but I guess thats the world we live in :) I know more people than not truly respect the job that law enforcement does, but hearing from the ones that don't really hurts.

I'm not complaining about anything, I'm relating a story. I know law enforcement have their jobs to do. It is unfair that the people who live in another state can do it though. I don't do double standards well. And I never disrespected anyone that night. I generally don't do that.

IDK if I was an officer arresting someone for something completely non violent I would treat them with a little compassion at least. But I don't expect that. It's just that you don't hear this story much, getting hauled away at a gig. I couldn't not share this here, this is where all my buds are.

I have no hate for the officers. I'm sure they don't hate me. It's just business. That's a big income generator for their particular business. I understand that. It's not that the substance is actually harmful, the law is much more harmful to the people than the actual substance. I know the rules, however damaging they are, and I accept the consequences. Just a bump in the road.

Abraham Lincoln stated that a prohibition law strikes at the very heart of the principles on which this country was founded. It didn't work in the twenties and it's not doing any good now either. The Declaration of Independence and the Constitution have been deballed. People really need to stop governments from micromanaging it's people and concentrate on getting this country back on track. The US imprisons the highest percentage of it's citizens out of any country. And it's like 75% herbal. Land of the free lol. I will voice my discontent with that until it is changed.
I believe in the right to make your own choices, as long as they are not morally wrong.

It's the law I hate. I absolutely despise that law, and would destroy it if I could. The people who enforce that law are caught in a bad place IMO so I don't blame them for anything. But the law needs to go away. Too many otherwise law biding, productive, good people get negatively branded while the drunk just ran over a kid with a legally purchased known killer. I just don't understand where right and wrong went.

It's the law I hate. I absolutely despise that law, and would destroy it if I could. The people who enforce that law are caught in a bad place IMO so I don't blame them for anything. But the law needs to go away. Too many otherwise law biding, productive, good people get negatively branded while the drunk just ran over a kid with a legally purchased known killer. I just don't understand where right and wrong went.

Using your judgment counts for a lot. If you are smoking weed in public (and an alley counts), you're basically begging the police to bust you, even if they'd rather look the other way personally.

good point dmc.

i got pulled over, had a warrant for failure to appear on a ticket for a muddy license plate(on a delivery vehicle at the end of a stormy mud day)...didn't go to court, got a warrant unknowingly. later i got stopped for expired plates(had new ones in car)...but because of warrant, got cuffed and spent two nights in jail because it would've cost $1000 to bail out. the coolest thing was that, it didn't matter if i was a rapist or had mud on my plate-they treated everyone like a piece of dog shit with no questions asked. and you better not be asking any. and i'm pro-cop! i'm just sayin what's goin on is this political correctness thing where everyone's afraid to show any sign of humanity lest there career be knocked out from under them in one lick. not stealin the thread. and my wife is three and a half years older than me...

As to how the cops treated you, I can't comment cause I wasn't there, but I do deal with drunks and beligerent people all the time and I am a very patient, nice person, but sometimes you just have to be a little forcefull or people will just walk all over you. .
And there's where I think your attempt at positive PR backfires. You know for an iron clad fact that you have a good number (not a few but a good number back home in the US) who would turn everything Larry described into a belittling game that would go far beyond anything remotely professional. Your own profession likes to say again and again "where there's smoke there's fire." But amazingly when smoke exists from one side of the station house to the other you want to point the finger in the other direction or ignore it entirely, while tying in some negative personality insinuation for good measure.

And I'm saying that to all you good cops too who represent the overwhelming majority. Part of the negative rep that you personally might not deserve doesn't always come from people misunderstanding you as much as your zeal to cover for your own right or wrong. That "I can't comment because I wasn't there" chestnut is the oldest gimmick in the book when you absolutely know personally colleagues who would do precisely what Larry described. Besides, you weren't here in this case either but you're here now chiming in with no problem at all..

Finally, you always make this speech like you're doing the gig for free or that the whole thing is being thrown on you. I've never gotten that.

I come from the American South where more than a fair number of especially rural cops behave way over the top and with no common sense...prepared to give you a physical issue just for walking down the street after eleven with a pair of drumsticks in your hand. And yeah there are plenty of the petty kind who will follow you on a club parking lot from one side to the other, when you all you wanted was some fresh air on your break, and even if your name is on the sign his plain wrapper is hiding behind.

Yep, most of you guys are great. But until there's some acknowledgment regarding the existence of your bad apples, this kind of antagonism is going to be there like it or not.

DMC if they outlawed your wine, would you stop driniking it?

Yep, most of you guys are great. But until there's some acknowledgment regarding the existence of your bad apples, this kind of antagonism is going to be there like it or not.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying that there aren't bad apples, but judge them instead of lumping us all into one barrel. There are bad apples in every profession. I treat all people with respect until they want to cuss me out or challenge me to fight them, then you have to become more aggressive or you could end up getting hurt or killed.

I have tons of people in my city that started out smoking weed and now are overdosing on heroin, not saying everyone that smokes weed will end up doing heroin, but thats why certain things are illegal cause people don't know when to stop. And I agree also that smoking weed inside your own house is less likely to get you in trouble than smoking it outside in a public area. You guys don't realize how many anonymous tips we get about everything you can imagine and those people expect us to respond or else were labeled as lazy and crooked.

I'll stop my rant now, just hate being disrespected. Sorry for any idiot cops you may have dealt with, were not all out to get ya.

I am not saying those guys were bad apples at all. I don't want anyone getting that impression. The arresting officer only was unduly hardassed IMO, definitely inconsiderate in refusing my request to inform my wife, and a little disrespectful regarding comments directed at the frequency of mine and my wifes sex life. And he didn't set a very good example that a person in the position of authority should project considering the way he drove while I was unbelted. (It was difficult to steady myself handcuffed while he whipped around the corners). I'd like to think he was a good guy but IMO he definitely acted immature for a person in his position. I felt like I was in a high school locker room while I was being processed. Like they wanted me to overhear how cool they all were. Not professional at all. That's no crime, but I do find it a bit sad that there was no concept of professionalism, common courtesy, or projecting a mature image I kind of expect from people in a position of authority.

On the other hand, if he kept and consumed what I had then he is a hypocrite double standard scumbag. I'll never know, so he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Technically the place was a public place. In reality, he had to use binoculars possibly w/night vision to see me, that's how unseeable it was. Hey, he's allowed, I'm the one who's acting illegally. It's just a hurtful law whose days are numbered.

I wonder if the people who despise this substance now will still despise it after it is decriminalized or legalized. Meaning... is the fact that I consumed this villified substance the bad thing, or is the bad thing the fact that I broke a law? Would love some opinions on that.

Larry,

You're unbelievable. Acting like the cops were immature and acting inappropriately. Justify this any way you want but you broke the law. Maybe you should lay off the stuff and you might see things more clearly. It's not legal. You broke the law and were caught. Grow up and accept the responsibility.

Have a good day.

DMC if they outlawed your wine, would you stop driniking it?

Drinking wine in public is already outlawed in the US in most jurisdictions, except for special permits for outdoor events, bars, etc.

So I don't drink where prohibited. If I did chug a beer in an alley, I would expect to be arrested. So I chug the beer in the bar. If wine were illegal everywhere, I would be sure to drink only in a private place with permission, to reduce the chances of getting caught. That's just common sense.

bigd, help me out here. I have to know, is it the substance itself you don't approve of or the fact that I broke the law. Please give me a clear answer I am genuinely curious.

Drinking wine in public is already outlawed in the US in most jurisdictions, except for special permits for outdoor events, bars, etc.

So I don't drink where prohibited. If I did chug a beer in an alley, I would expect to be arrested. So I chug the beer in the bar. If wine were illegal everywhere, I would be sure to drink only in a private place with permission, to reduce the chances of getting caught. That's just common sense.

If it's illegal everywhere, who has permission? So you're saying that you have more of an issue with me getting caught than actually breaking the law. Because you just said you'd break the law too. With permission. I don't understand that part. I'm pretty sure that's still breaking the law, drinking in private when it's illegal. So OK I'm stupid for getting caught. My bad. But it must be OK with you that I broke the law, because you just admitted you would too. Is that right?

Well you can't smoke pot in a bar, so that doesn't work.

I get what you're saying, Larry, you're not saying that the police were wrong (maybe the one was a little rude) but were just sharing a story about an unfortunate time.

People jump to conclusions that you're criticizing cops for doing their jobs...but you clearly were not. People in general are way too sensitive.

I do believe I was unfairly accused of blaming the officers by some here. I'm not. I suppose one could infer that from what I wrote. They do other really tough stuff and I support them as people. I don't happen to agree with this particular law, but I seperate the law from the officer. The law is wrong, the officer deserves full cooperation and the truth. Which I gave. Any negative things I said about them were earned by them. As always, I call them like I see them. I'm not making this up to prove a point or anything. It does make an interesting debate topic though and I am interested in getting some very specific answers to some questions. I do think that they didn't have to treat me like a scumbag though. I was dressed nice and I could have been his Dad. I answered every question he asked truthfully, cooperatively and without attitude with one exception, where I exercised what rights I had that still remained.

People jump to conclusions that you're criticizing cops for doing their jobs...but you clearly were not. People in general are way too sensitive.

I wasn't concluding that from Larry's post, I think he was only criticizing one or two that he dealt with, not all cops in general. Now if you read all of the comments, you will find other people that absolutely seem to despise all cops, such as the comment "pigs suck".

To answer your question Larry, I would be against marijuana even if it were legal, but I'm against alcohol too. Used in moderation these things may not be a problem, but people can't seem to control there use. Right now in Ohio there are products that are legal like K2 which is a product similar to marijuana and the rising use of bath salts, just google the affects of using bath salts to get high and it's frightening. Not trying to get off topic, it's just that I see the bad side of all of these products. I guess I'm just not sure why people feel the need to get drunk or high. My personal choice not to.

I vote we get back to something we all love and agree on...DRUMS!

Thank you for that.

I wasn't concluding that from Larry's post, I think he was only criticizing one or two that he dealt with, not all cops in general. Now if you read all of the comments, you will find other people that absolutely seem to despise all cops, such as the comment "pigs suck".

To answer your question Larry, I would be against marijuana even if it were legal, but I'm against alcohol too. Used in moderation these things may not be a problem, but people can't seem to control there use. Right now in Ohio there are products that are legal like K2 which is a product similar to marijuana and the rising use of bath salts, just google the affects of using bath salts to get high and it's frightening. Not trying to get off topic, it's just that I see the bad side of all of these products. I guess I'm just not sure why people feel the need to get drunk or high. My personal choice not to.

I vote we get back to something we all love and agree on...DRUMS!
Good follow up post to your last one. I don't drink or smoke anything, because I don't like how it changes me and others around me. I had two twits at the RUSH concert the other night that were drinking beer, one after another, and didn't care who they stood in front of, and did not shut up all night. Very distracting. I finally tapped them on the shoulder and told them that they were missing a good concert. They both looked at me and mumbled no were not. I know when I smoked drugs in grade eight, I didn't get very much homework done, and I ended up staying back while all my friends went to High school. Drinking makes most people aggressive, and think they can have everyone else's wives. My uncle is an alcoholic and it has controlled him his whole life. Pot just makes you lazy, easy going, and want to eat Kraft Dinner all night :) Smoking cigarettes is just a plain waste of health and money. Sorry for the rant :)

Back