A few snare drum questions (Cozy Powell/Dave Lombaro content)

tryggdahl

Love the solid crack these guys got out of their snares. Cozy, especially on Rainbow Rising and Dave Lombardo on South of Heaven. Dave's snare sound on that cd really pops. Almost like a knocking sound. Does anyone have any info on their choices of snare drums?

Last edited:

Alex949

Not sure on the exact snares on those particular albums but if memory serves me right Cozy usually used metal snares (brass, alluminum, bronze) and Dave liked Tama piccolo's

PaiceFan

If you are talking about Cozy's snare on "Rainbow Rising" That was back when he was playing the Red Sparkle Ludwig Kit. I'm thinking he had a 6.5" Supra back in those days. He did not switch to Yamahas until "Long Live RocknRoll" which was around 77' .Cozy had tremendous sound back in those days. And his playing on Rising is nothing short of spectacular in my opinion. His playing had Major Attitude.

mind_drummer

Platinum Member
If you are talking about Cozy's snare on "Rainbow Rising" That was back when he was playing the Red Sparkle Ludwig Kit. I'm thinking he had a 6.5" Supra back in those days. He did not switch to Yamahas until "Long Live RocknRoll" which was around 77' .Cozy had tremendous sound back in those days. And his playing on Rising is nothing short of spectacular in my opinion. His playing had Major Attitude.

Agree, Cozy is too much forgotten IMO.

Anchein Vouivra

Pioneer Member
I don't know if it's the one he used to record Rainbow Rising, but if you look at the booklet of their live album "On Stage" (which I think was about the same period of Rainbow Rising) their integrale material is described.......from Cozy's splash to their neon tubes decorating the stage!