A&F drums

I live in Texas

I’ve been to the showroom

The metal kits I played sounded fantastic, and
I already have nice drums to compare them to. Cost aside, they sound much much better to me than sone other major brand kits I’ve heard.

I have never heard any complaints about fragility, so that’s news to me.

If I were in the market for an expensive boutique snare they would be on my list. But I already have other expensive boutique snares so that makes these unnecessary.

I don’t hate them. It’s just a drum.

Was not impressed with Nolly’s vid, slightly more impressed with Beatdown’s vid, but neither has me saving my pennies for one. For a brass snare, I would rather save a whole lot of cheddar and get a Black Beauty, which IMHO greatly outperforms the A&F snares. There’s a difference between heavy sounding and harsh, and the BB is heavy without being harsh.

Sometimes I see internet pile-ons and wonder why, but this one I get, especially since these are supposed to be exquisite handmade drums. For that kind of money, they should be unquestionably higher quality in every way. But you can get limited range, harsh tones, and gloppy welding out of snares at a tiny fraction of the cost these snares.

love the look, never played one or seen one in person, but if the biuld quality isnt up to par with the price tag, then IMHO its not worth it.

i want a snare that can withstand my finesse of playing but also withstand being absolutely bashed and thrashed when i get overexcited xD

I'm a little confused about some of you talking about how fragile these snares are. I can't speak for the thin shelled wood drums or drum sets. My snares are metal. Brass, copper, bronze and steel. I play with 5Bs, 3As, and sometimes 2Bs. I've never had any part fail and I play rock. I play rim shots a lot. I have worn the finish off the top of the hoops where the rim shots land but the hoops are like new other than that.

The weld on the drummers review was pretty bad. but none of my drums look like that. I also don't find the tuning range to be limited. I usually run reso heads at 400hz and batters from 240 - 350HZ. No issues.

I have Cravs, N&C, Keplinger, DWs, Ludwig, 4 Cast bronze snares and a few others.

A&F makes two different thicknesses in metal. 2mm and 4.8mm. I saw a used AK copper drum on reverb listing for $2500, My new A&F copper was $1350.

I suspect some of you are looking at the heavier A&F shells and comparing them to the thinner shells by other MFGs.

I happy with mine and that's all that matters.

YMMV

I'm a little confused about some of you talking about how fragile these snares are. I can't speak for the thin shelled wood drums or drum sets. My snares are metal. Brass, copper, bronze and steel. I play with 5Bs, 3As, and sometimes 2Bs. I've never had any part fail and I play rock. I play rim shots a lot. I have worn the finish off the top of the hoops where the rim shots land but the hoops are like new other than that.

The weld on the drummers review was pretty bad. but none of my drums look like that. I also don't find the tuning range to be limited. I usually run reso heads at 400hz and batters from 240 - 350HZ. No issues.

I have Cravs, N&C, Keplinger, DWs, Ludwig, 4 Cast bronze snares and a few others.

A&F makes two different thicknesses in metal. 2mm and 4.8mm. I saw a used AK copper drum on reverb listing for $2500, My new A&F copper was $1350.

I suspect some of you are looking at the heavier A&F shells and comparing them to the thinner shells by other MFGs.

YMMV
Glad you are happy with your AF drums in the end that’s what’s important.
You get what you pay for .
But there are noticeable differences between an AK and an AF. So let’s talk about that.
First and most important the one on reverb is way overpriced, that same drum from Adrian today is 1900 dollars.
Second buying an AK at that price gets you the following features hand made by one man who is a goldsmith as well as a drum maker. The craftsmanship is impeccable.

1-piece AK copper or brass shell (“brushed patina” finish / oil sealed) hardware finish: “polished brass” (raw)
10 AK class. tube lugs
AK Standard throw-off & butt plate
AK 4mm SB hoops
AK brass t-rods & washers
hand engraved initials or logo.
AK 12str. class. Snappi Snares
Remo heads
AK drum key & high-quality drum carrying bag
All the hardware can be chrome or nickel plated your choice or raw brass if you so desire

Kind of like comparing a summer peach to a durian fruit, technically both fruit but…
Oh , and 12 years in on my oldest AK. haven’t worn the finish off the hoops yet.
I think it’s easy to see where the value is.
YMMV

Was not impressed with Nolly’s vid, slightly more impressed with Beatdown’s vid, but neither has me saving my pennies for one. For a brass snare, I would rather save a whole lot of cheddar and get a Black Beauty, which IMHO greatly outperforms the A&F snares. There’s a difference between heavy sounding and harsh, and the BB is heavy without being harsh.

Sometimes I see internet pile-ons and wonder why, but this one I get, especially since these are supposed to be exquisite handmade drums. For that kind of money, they should be unquestionably higher quality in every way. But you can get limited range, harsh tones, and gloppy welding out of snares at a tiny fraction of the cost these snares.

I have to say, after owning cast shell snares for a few years, they’re almost all I use, unless it’s a super-quiet gig. Cranked coated batter head, so it’s both dry and sensitive.

YMMV
You are 100% correct, I support your choices, you shouldn’t give a rat’s ass if anyone else likes them if you’re happy, and I am sure you sound great with them. But there’s a lot of musicians making great music and sounds using gear I wouldn’t want, and I’m sure my gear choices aren’t everyone’s top choices, either. I have a Danelectro Longhorn bass from 2009 that most consider the worst ever, and that thing has been a joy to play on gigs and recordings.

But it was only $190 ;)

I have to say, after owning cast shell snares for a few years, they’re almost all I use, unless it’s a super-quiet gig. Cranked coated batter head, so it’s both dry and sensitive.
Ya, after getting a little experience with different snare construction types, I’m pretty sure I have no desire for anything but cast if I ever decide to get a metal snare.

Ya, after getting a little experience with different snare construction types, I’m pretty sure I have no desire for anything but cast if I ever decide to get a metal snare.
Except for the weight. Its realy why I sold the cast bronze models and went to alu models.

I still wouldn't mind to own one if I had extra cash of course, but as main used snare they were just not it for me.

Except for the weight. Its realy why I sold the cast bronze models and went to alu models.

I still wouldn't mind to own one if I had extra cash of course, but as main used snare they were just not it for me.
You can get cast aluminum snares ;).

Back