A & F drums!!!

? I wonder if they got kicked out on purpose for the publicity. It's not like they'd get kicked out after the first complaint. They'd have to ignore the warnings repeatedly.

Sounds like back-handed marketing to me, haha.

No - I was there with Tristan Kelley like literally as it happened.

Ramy was shocked and upset...I know he spun it later as a cool thing - but what else are you going to do really?

But it wasn't a staged thing - those booths are SO EXPENSIVE to be shut down - especially for a company that was in it's first year at NAMM which was the year it happened.

I personally love the look- the new vintage style hardware is super cool too.

A company with an aesthetic this strong is going to draw lines between people and for everyone that doesn't like it - there are certainly people that love it. I've never actually seen a company go from zero to completely ingrained in the drum world this fast. I remember the first IG post to now and it's just insane.

Personally I don't own any of their drums because I think they sound their best in the following conditions:

1. Tuned very low
2. In a studio setting

I live my life:

1. Tuned very high
2. Live

And I low key need modern hardware features like bass drum mounted toms, etc - so while I completelyyyyyy understand their vintage appeal and I would love to own a set as a studio queen one day - I haven't pulled the trigger on any from them yet. I might pick up a smaller snare - one of the rude boys or the 4x6 that I can integrate into my sky high ranges for drums.

Love the look, but the boutique pricing turns me away. Even their leather wrapped drum key is $35 (but I'll probably still get one because it's meant for a key ring).

Personally I don't own any of their drums because I think they sound their best in the following conditions:

1. Tuned very low
2. In a studio setting

I live my life:

1. Tuned very high
2. Live

After living with one of the snares for a couple months I don't see the tuning range any different than any other quality snare. Mine has gone from high to low and sounds awesome. YMMV

After living with one of the snares for a couple months I don't see the tuning range any different than any other quality snare. Mine has gone from high to low and sounds awesome. YMMV

It's less the snares than the whole kits over all - I'll probably pick up a snare or two which I mentioned in the part you didn't quote.

My second A&F snare. This one is bronze. Now I gotta chill for a bit.

Attachments

• a&f bronze.jpg
    a&f bronze.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 18
I recently recorded a couple of videos of a A&F snare, steam bent 14x5.5 together with a Leedy bass drum 28 inch. Please check it out.

It's been a little over three years since I started this thread, My A&F collection has grown a bit. During that time my snares have performed perfectly. No issues, parts failures, or any problems at all. I play with 5Bs and never even had a tension rod loosen. On average I play about 10 hours a week.

Mostly I play a heavy shelled brass (4.8mm ) 6.5 X 14 main snare and a thin shelled (2mm) 6.5 X 12 brass side snare. They sound great together. The 12 is cranked. It was a custom order and took 8 months to get. A&F seems to be very busy.

YMMV

"Are they Vintage yet ? They been out a few Years"...

;')

Last edited:
I recently recorded a couple of videos of a A&F snare, steam bent 14x5.5 together with a Leedy bass drum 28 inch. Please check it out.
Love the marching snares, and wicked playing. The snare in the first video, however, had so much dampening on it that it was impossible to assess the sound. A budget snare would sound no different with that much tone-robbing muffling. I understand that there is a desired sound for that sort of thing in some musical settings, but it just detracted from what is probably an amazing drum.

Reactions: kdh
Back