A & F drums!!!

Not played one in person yet, wouldn't know where I'd find one, but from what I've heard online some of them are pretty cool.

I'm really not looking and it would take a lot for me to invest in a new snare right now. There are 3 snares mainly used on kit and 2 mainly used for orchestral work. I'm pretty happy and since I don't do gigs(I do very few gigs in generrl where I need anyting else, there's no real point in using my other snare other than just variation for fun.

I'm not counting a future A&F out completely, though.

Last edited:
Their solid shell wood drums sound great also. I'll try to post a vid once mine arrives.

Cool if you can post a vid of your new A&F - I also like the story behind their drums, I've never played one, but they sound great online...

in the 30's to 50's A Hipster/ Hepster was a girl originally so I don't know what the beards are all about. And why do they wear their Dad's Clothes. Don't believe me? Check the lyrics to Train Kept a Rollin' Way back a Hipster drank from a Hip Flask! Now it is the Knowledgeably Aware I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

you don’t want to use those shitty plastic straps on that beauty anyway

The throw off and butt plate have slots that the string goes into and is held in place by knots, It's super fast to change out the wires once you have another set ready to go with it's own set of strings, You can have several different sets of wires set up and ready to go. A real plus in the studio. I sure there's a learning curve so I made sure I had enough string. LOL

Attachments

• string.jpg
    string.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: TJK
in the 30's to 50's A Hipster/ Hepster was a girl originally so I don't know what the beards are all about. And why do they wear their Dad's Clothes. Don't believe me? Check the lyrics to Train Kept a Rollin' Way back a Hipster drank from a Hip Flask! Now it is the Knowledgeably Aware I believe.

Cool. Thanks for the info!

I spent a lot of time with this drum yesterday and am really impressed. I set up a cast brass drum next to it and took them both from high to low and the A&F has a little more bite, mid and low end than the cast drum. The weld is invisible on the outside of the drum and super smooth on the inside.

I didn't experience any of the things that Nolly talked about. Drum tuned up nicely. Held the tuning and I got an even pitch on both heads without any variation. The throw off and tension adjustment works fine. I'm very happy with it and will probably by another in the near future.

I spent a lot of time with this drum yesterday and am really impressed. I set up a cast brass drum next to it and took them both from high to low and the A&F has a little more bite, mid and low end than the cast drum. The weld is invisible on the outside of the drum and super smooth on the inside.

I didn't experience any of the things that Nolly talked about. Drum tuned up nicely. Held the tuning and I got an even pitch on both heads without any variation. The throw off and tension adjustment works fine. I'm very happy with it and will probably by another in the near future.
As the proud owner of a new A&F snare drum, you are legally required to grow a handlebar mustache and wear skinny jeans.

Now that I've had some time to live with this snare it is really killin it. Glad I got it!!

That’s what the Cerwin Vega rep told me. “If I don’t get kicked out, I’m not doing my job.” I can only imagine it was the same with them. Kinda the any publicity is good publicity thing.
Kinda weird to think getting kicked out is good publicity, considering the cost they pay to get floor space at NAMM. Even with A&F, they were kicked out by Saturday, so they only missed Sunday, and by then most of the business is done anyway.

I think that same year, Taye Drums sold their entire floor inventory on FRIDAY MORNING! They were partying for the rest of the weekend. Good for them!

I think getting kicked out of NAMM is kinda cool. The rebel in me says hell yeah!!!! They sold out this year BTW. Ordered another A&F snare. The brass one I got last month is killer. I have over 20 snares. I play that one the most. Got a Bronze one coming. Yay!

I think getting kicked out of NAMM is kinda cool. The rebel in me says hell yeah!!!! They sold out this year BTW. Ordered another A&F snare. The brass one I got last month is killer. I have over 20 snares. I play that one the most. Got a Bronze one coming. Yay!
Glad you like it! Buying a 2nd snare is a great endorsement I'd say, even if it's not my cup of tea.

Do you think the Bronze snare will sound much different than your Brass snare?

They are different metals to be sure. Shane from Drumcenternh calls it a mystery metal. Most of the iconic snare drums are bronze. It has this darker low end vibe that brass doesn't have. I will find out next week for sure. LOL

I think getting kicked out of NAMM is kinda cool. The rebel in me says hell yeah!!!!

As a NAMM regular trying to actually hear what something sounds like or having a business conversation I can't agree (whatever the rebel in me says). This January show was completely unbearable. A&F are not alone, but they certainly doesn't help..

Back