A drumshop no longer....

mikyok

Platinum Member
I'd kill for my old drum shop to rise from the dead.

A little upstairs shop in Wolverhampton called Drum Attic. I miss the convenience and owners who knew what they were selling and wouldn't flog you any old shite.

They used to have some amazing 2nd hand stuff too.

Shout out to John the Drum in Brum too which became Birmingham Drum Centre. MX in Brum used to have some great stuff.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Seminole Music and Sound. Great little neighborhood store, great staff, all musicians, lessons, always packed for clinics. Manager was the best, a drummer. Owner decided to retire and raather than sell the business, decided just to shut down. Sad day.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Owner decided to retire and raather than sell the business, decided just to shut down.
The owners of the shop I mentioned (husband & wife) tried to sell the biz but they failed. They wanted a 3-part sale: inventory, biz name, back line rentals. Two local drummers (and long-time customers of the shop) acquired a loan to cover the purchase, but the owners waffled on the sale of the rentals (very lucrative, more so than the shop) and the deal fell through. They ended up selling inventory to collectors and other shops around the country. It was upsetting to see ‘cuz most of us lowly weekend warriors were hoping the shop would survive.

pocket player

petrez

Around here (Norway, Scandinavia) most of the physical music stores has been gone for many years, to survive you have to do it mainly online, or be right in the center of a big town, seems like only the capital is big enough as most of the other towns I've visited have no such stores left. Sad, yes. If it were good business I might very well work in a music shop myself. Only a select few stores keep their head over water here though. And I am by no means without blame for it either, I order most/everything of my equipment online. Living out in the rural district, work/family/little time, and the knowledge that I can order whatever I want from a big online store, they have it (usually) in stock so I get it in just a few days, and for the best price. Unless there was a music store right by where I live with good enough price and fair enough delivery time, I can't see that will change for me ever. When the closest shop is 1,5 - 2 hours of driving, and they most probably don't have what I'm looking for in stock (which happens all the time when I happen to stumble into those shops maybe once a year), I stick to online shopping.

Sorry for rambling though.... My first kit was used, second I inherited from my father (who probably bought it in a store that has closed down). From then on, mostly all my kits was bought online.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
With the exception of Pro Drum in Hollywood, all of the local shops that I frequented in L.A. (and Phoenix) are gone...

Skagg's Music, Bill's Music, Arizona Music, Lederman Music, Seigel's Music, Drum City, Valley Arts, North Hollywood Drum, Valley Drum Shop, West Coast Drum Shop, Ontario Music, Westchester Music, Marshall's Music, West L.A. Music...

:cry:

pgm554

Platinum Member
With the exception of Pro Drum in Hollywood, all of the local shops that I frequented in L.A. (and Phoenix) are gone...

Skagg's Music, Bill's Music, Arizona Music, Lederman Music, Seigel's Music, Drum City, Valley Arts, North Hollywood Drum, Valley Drum Shop, West Coast Drum Shop, Ontario Music, Westchester Music, Marshall's Music, West L.A. Music...

:cry:
Like a priest taking a vow of poverty when you get in the drum shop biz.
Most of the independent music stores in the bay area went tips up.
Drum World in San Mateo,California Percussion in SF,Addato's moved away to Oregon.
We have a new one in Dublin CA that seems to be on the mend after Covid,but GC is all over the place.
Tough to fight their pricing.
Just picked up a new Yamaha Custom Session bop for $230 bucks.
That's gotta be cost or below.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
The owners of the shop I mentioned (husband & wife) tried to sell the biz but they failed. They wanted a 3-part sale: inventory, biz name, back line rentals. Two local drummers (and long-time customers of the shop) acquired a loan to cover the purchase, but the owners waffled on the sale of the rentals (very lucrative, more so than the shop) and the deal fell through. They ended up selling inventory to collectors and other shops around the country. It was upsetting to see ‘cuz most of us lowly weekend warriors were hoping the shop would survive.
That's a shame. Maybe the owner of the shop near me had heard war stories and decided just to sell everything off. Had a two month sale and kept reducing prices untill it was all gone. No bickering with some know it all.

KirbyM

Rhythm City in Atlanta, GA. The owner, George Luther sold the store to Guitar Center, and they moved the store to a completely different part of town. George had a long two-tier riser that held new drum kits. My first drums (Ludwig) came from Rhythm City in 1966. Rhythm City was not just a drum store - it had everything, and lots of it!

Also - Drums 101 in Gainesville, GA. The store was owned by two brothers, who actually made their own drums and sold DW and Zildjian.

Last edited:

Thin Shell

Atlanta used to have a ton of music stores.

Of course there was Atlanta Pro Percussion. That used to be my Saturday visit but there were so many that I would usually hit several on a Saturday. I bought an entire Tama Superstar Super Mahogany Neil Peart spec drum kit at Atlanta Pro one piece at a time after I got my first job.

There was another Drum only music called Atlanta Drums and Percussion i-85 on the other side from Guitar Center that didn't last long.

Other stores I remember were Music Mart, Rhythm City, Wallace Reed, Millers Music, Atlanta Discount Music, . There was a Mars music for a while that eventually closed and became a Sam Ash and there were a couple of others that all disappeared once Guitar Center moved to town.

There is really not that much left other than Guitar Center, Atlanta Discount Music, Sam Ash and one or two smaller stores. I used to go to Atlanta Pro when I was in town, but with that gone, there isn't much worth dealing with the horrendous traffic for.

Thin Shell

The old Long Island Drum Center was a Paradise.

Dennis is still going in a smaller location and he still gets top players for clinics so it's not all gone.

But the glory days were something else, around 10 kits set up, full cymbal selections, and every wall covered with drum posters.

I'll never forget it.
Atlanta Pro Percussion probably had 50 or more new kits on the floor at any given time. Although they weren't setup to play and they were crammed in there tight. The only drum shop I have seen that is bigger was one I visited in Chicago a few years back that has since closed.

Bozozoid

LIDC with Dennis Ricci is still around. I just bought a pack of heads from him yesterday.
No way!...im going to find the letter Dennis sent me via pony express and send him the copy. We talked for an hour! on the phone over thick..thin..birch..beech..support vs non..etc etc. He sent me thee coolest letter I've ever received. I gotta! Get it copied and tell him I'm still beatin the tubs. Unreal.

The old Long Island Drum Center was a Paradise.

Dennis is still going in a smaller location and he still gets top players for clinics so it's not all gone.

But the glory days were something else, around 10 kits set up, full cymbal selections, and every wall covered with drum posters.

I'll never forget it.

I remember it well ! As well as the Sam Ash in Hempstead Long Island NY. The place had everything! Sam Ash still here In westbury off old country rd( and other Long Island locations) but a far , far cry from the Hempstead store !
And spent a fair amount of time in matthews music in Roosevelt field shopping mall .

Last edited:

s1212z

Got my Gretsch kit in the mid to late 80s at the wonderful Creative Music in Wethersfield, Connecticut (and saw Bill Bruford put on a clinic there). I believe it's been gone since around the turn of the century, sadly.
I remember going there in the mid 90s, my drum teacher at the time brought me. Very cool drum shop, they fixed my pedal for free and saw BG around the shop…felt like a real drummer’s clubhouse which I never saw before that time. Jaimoe (from ABB) was known to frequent.

moodman

Drum Center of Indianapolis (Harry Cangany's store) is where I bought my Noble&Cooley CD Maples w/SSClassic snare. Ryan Payne helped me decide on sizes and depths, I rented several of Harry's kits while they were being made.
After the store closed I got a Black Beauty from Harry, who did some biz at his house.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Before I lived in Arkansas i lived in upstate NY. My local music store was The Only Guitar Shop. Got my lessons through there, as well as tons of consumables. I found out today, because of this thread making me curious, that it closed in 2006.