A Drummer's Treat : Beware Mr. Baker

For all you folks out there, Young and Old, do yourself a favor and watch the Amateur Video aired by Showtime, Beware Mr. Baker. Ginger Baker, that is.... Whoa, what a Character , a strange personality. May he RIP. The master of Syncopation. Cream, Blind Faith ("Do What You Like" - a must Listen ), and then into African style music.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
We've all seen this, its been out for years at this point and its very famous in the drum community. Its very well-known.

I like Ginger's playing, but he's such a douche.

mrthirsty

I found it pretty sad when he called his own son a hack as a drummer, the comments about John Bonham seemed to come from a place of bitterness and anger.

I agree what an a**hole as a person.

ToneT

Breaks the directors nose with a cane! Jeez!
Quite a combustible personality!
Wish I was there when Jack threw his bass at him!
He was screwed over by a lot of people during his lifetime.
I have the DVD, and do get a copy of his autobiography.
He had nine lives!

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Am I the only one who doesn't really always like the choices ginger typically made? Could just be a personal dislike of mine but I usually find his style a little too loosey goosey or something, or like he's shoehorning rhythms in that don't fit even though the concept is kinda interesting sometimes? IDK... It's not important but I seem to be alone in that.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Am I the only one who doesn't really always like the choices ginger typically made? Could just be a personal dislike of mine but I usually find his style a little too loosey goosey or something, or like he's shoehorning rhythms in that don't fit even though the concept is kinda interesting sometimes? IDK... It's not important but I seem to be alone in that.
You're not alone Doc. I never cared for G Bake. Just didn't think he was very good. Watched the documentary as addressed in this thread and was enlightened to his "Get off my lawn!" personality. I love the fact that he spent time in Africa "learning" tribal rhythms. Something I'd love to do as well. There's just something about playing as you feel in a moment of.....I don't know what to call it. Bunch of people playing heads with sticks and dancing around in a state of rapture. I mean....I think I'd like it. Be worth experiencing anyway.

fabiodrummy

MAX ROACH.dr ,.TONY WILLIAMS.dr ,..GINGER BAKER.dr.. ''PERCUSSION SUMMIT'' ..&..M'.Boom.Re.Percussion..Ensamble.. Live in Verona ,,Italy ,1995. t.1hour ,32'minutes .. Well , once again another 'RARE'' live concert with THREE great giants of the 'Drums History'.. First time all together only for this Live Jazz Festival in the ''Arena of Verona'' ..

- ,, ,, -

opentune

Platinum Member
Ginger Baker studied African rhythms long before living there, in the early 60's pre-Graham Bond. I won't comment on his awful anti-social personality but you have to admit nobody sounds like Ginger Baker, whereas some drummer names do sound alike. Ginger is very unique in rhythmic choices he makes, his tom-work deriving from the African stuff.