A Drum Shop Database Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Can we get a drum shop list as a reference tool similar to how a phone book used to show? If someone has a shop to add to the list they could do this somehow.

Have this as a sticky in the general discussion forum.

They would be listed by country - USA / Canada / U.K. / Australia et al.

my contribution:
Memphis Drum Shop
2112 Percussion
Rupp’s Drums
Drum Center of Portsmouth
Cymbalism Music
Philadelphia Drums and Percussion
Steve Weiss Music

Good idea, listings should be concise with just the necessary info:

Store name / City, ST, Country / web site

Dedicated drum shops only, and full-line or chain stores with exceptional drum departments (such as the Hollywood, CA Guitar Center and adjacent Sam Ash stores.) I suppose online stores count as well. :)

A single post reflecting the submissions could be assembled/updated from member posts.

#Bernhard ?

I could create a Google Drive spreadsheet, adn we could sticky the link somehow....

Not sure a spreadsheet can be displayed in a thread, or if it's really necessary. A simple 'laundry list' of shops (in order by country I assume) should be sufficient. If the list becomes so long that the page needs to be searched, it's a simple browser function (usually ctrl+F for Windows.)

I've run it by Bernhard and the other mods, and volunteered to oversee it. Let's see what happens. :)

I could create a Google Drive spreadsheet, adn we could sticky the link somehow....

Not familiar with all of the Google functions, but if it's easy to access and navigate, that could be cool. Is it possible to sort/order entries by a particular field (such as state, country, etc.) as a database does?

Google Spreadsheets are similar to excel but with less functionality, you would be able to sort the fields alphabetically or numerically.

If you are trying to post the sheet, you can use a link that anyone can see or, embed it on a website.

Last edited:
Good idea!

Bentleys Fresno, CA.

I’m curious as to how the spreadsheet looks when it’s presented. Is it going to be a static directory?
Would there be a master user with few sub users or will the spreadsheet be updated by anyone and everyone?

Primarily .xls are what I recommend as I am more comfortable with the layout, security, and support.
Google sheets is just as functional, just a bit different as it promotes communal data inputs. This measure is less secure as one can easily update the spreadsheet in a live environment. Good thing about G sheets are, there is an audit functionality that will color trail the last users edit activity.

Both xls and G sheets will allow you to lock cells or protect worksheets so no overwriting takes place, securing the worksheets integrity.

(My profession requires me to live in spreadsheets and use both with high proficiency)
————————

What about a ‘link within a link’ page kinda like drum archive. Where you select the logo link and it takes you to their site?

Mabey add a page to the drummerworld website with the list of stores, also a search feature for city/town would be useful.

The wedsite for eash cite should have a map. Keep it simple. Store name, City, website, should handle it.

I also prefer the simplicity of each listing, the web site will have their additional necessary info. Still not sure that a spreadsheet is an advantage though. I would expect maybe 150-200 listings tops, and those will be simple enough to view by country (and state state/province where applicable) on a 'laundry list' of stores. That also helps keep clicks/navigation to a minimum. Much simpler to have their site listed in the post, rather than clicking to open another page/site, just to see the same link there.

Not familiar with all of the Google functions, but if it's easy to access and navigate, that could be cool. Is it possible to sort/order entries by a particular field (such as state, country, etc.) as a database does?
Yes Google sheets is almost just as computational as Excel. They both centralize data very well for tracking and what not.

G sheets have mostly the same types of calculations, filters and sorting sequencing commands as Excel. The sort/filters are highly adjustable with layering definitions.
Not as much logic formulas, but better for group collaboration.

I’d put it like this, when building financial models, I would not be doing so in G sheets.

For this project - both would suffice really well.
Just a matter of delivery to forum that would essentially make sense.

If this is going to be done...it seems that we would have to organize them by state, right?

Otherwise people would have to read every post

If this is going to be done...it seems that we would have to organize them by state, right?

Otherwise people would have to read every post
Yep, to be effective and efficient, databases would work. Could sort however you want alpha, state, etc…

Which is why the thread posts simply won’t work.
There will be duplication after a while and no updates so the integrity would eventually lose to convolution.

Well that’s my input on the subject, good luck!

Let me know if I can help!

If you open the thread, then use the search function for this thread only, it will display specific posts. For example, I searched "Denver" (because I knew it was in there somewhere) and this came up:

Screenshot_20210630-124529_Chrome.jpg
So if just using the search function, you can type in a city/state/country and DW will find it for you.

Brian that's too easy.

We simply must complicate it.

:p

I agree with Larry, let’s complicate this, first up I live in England, UK (the real one not the Noble and Cooley Xanadu) and over here there is no such thing as a geographic state, the queen won’t allow it.
The term you are reaching for is County. So the naming headers should run City/County/Country. British people will get confused if you ask them for information on their state. My current state is antagonistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back