A different kinf of Metronome

DVD

A different kind of Metronome

Hey, Newb here, nice meeting you, Great place!

I'm wondering if such a thing might exist.
Metronomes are great and all but what would be very useful for me would be some sort of device (perhaps some PC software) that would keep track of where I am in the song, something that counts bars and let's me know when the verse starts and then when the chorus starts and the bridge and so on. When I'm doing fills and accent and so on I find it difficult to count bars and sometimes I get offtrack, kind of like singing and playing at the same time.
Something where you layout a song ahead of time and tell it the BPM and number of bars for each section of the song. Then when you play it back it lets you know where you are in the song and when when the changes are, either visually or audibly.
I think this would help me study and learn the structure of a song, kind of like how a metronome teaches note placement.
Or maybe I need to invent this (yea right).
Ever hear of anything like this?

Last edited:

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
That seems like an awful lot of trouble. I think you would be better off listening to and understanding chord structure to help you keep track of what you should be doing. Good luck.

ahector

You can do this by programming your own click tracks in a DAW.

I use Logic express, and I program a MIDI click track (usually a midi cross stick sound). I don't map out changes or sections of a song, but you can totally do that. I remember reading in the Gavin Harrison thread that he records his voice to use as cues for various parts of a song, for instance.

I like to map out subdivision changes. I play a lot of music that switches between 8ths and 8th note triplets and 16ths, and it's really nice to have my click change along with me.

It can be a lot of work, but it's super helpful.

TNA

That seems like an awful lot of trouble. I think you would be better off listening to and understanding chord structure to help you keep track of what you should be doing. Good luck.
Exactly. Most songs follow a very basic formula as I'm sure you know. I can't see it being that big of a problem if you actually listen to the song.

W

wy yung

I think overall it is best to use a regular click. In the studio one finds that. 1/4 note pulse is all that is offered. And this is true of the cover bands I have played with lately. I took time off from gigs and returned to find myself hooked up to a laptop with a bunch of 1/4 note click tracks.

The world doesn't bend to us. Better we practice with the world standard I guess.