A day as a worship drummer 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great stuff. I love the presentation in your vids.

You appear to intuitively sing when you play (as do many). Have you invested in vocal lessons yet so that you are able to perform backups and harmonies?

(I have more working/album credits singing harmonies and shaking tambourines than I do with the instruments I actually claim to play)

Great stuff. I love the presentation in your vids.

You appear to intuitively sing when you play (as do many). Have you invested in vocal lessons yet so that you are able to perform backups and harmonies?

(I have more working/album credits singing harmonies and shaking tambourines than I do with the instruments I actually claim to play)

Thanks a lot!
Yea I have been in a choir when a kid and have taken a couple of lessons, still a lot to go, if I'd ask my worship leader to sing I'd probably get advice and guidance to do so. I haven't really considered it to do it now, but I love singing. I wouldn't be able to play without singing along! Lol I especially love backing vocals work or harmonies.

Re: A day as a worship drummer 2.0 - some feedback needed!

Just a quick note... I seem to not have much success with these videos and while hey cost me a lot of time and money, isn’t love to know if anyone really is interested watching them. Otherwise there’s no point... I just wanted to do something fun for others but of course if nobody really likes then there’s no point. I’d love some constructive critique. I know I’m not the best, but trying to improve each video as much as I can. Thanks!

Just a quick note... I seem to not have much success with these videos and while hey cost me a lot of time and money, isn’t love to know if anyone really is interested watching them. Otherwise there’s no point... I just wanted to do something fun for others but of course if nobody really likes then there’s no point. I’d love some constructive critique. I know I’m not the best, but trying to improve each video as much as I can. Thanks!

The difficulty encountered in media of this type is that youtube consumers tend to prefer sensationalism over reality. Unless you're half naked, on fire, overly theatrical, superhuman, with a cute cuddly orphan animals crawling on you, people just don't seem to get excited. IE: There's no wrestling on TV, but there is WWE.

I'm not advocating a change on your part, just lamenting the failures of our society.

..I seem to not have much success with these videos..

I think that depends a little on what you would define as 'having success'..

Like, this video had untill now about 110 views..I have been at drumclinics from kinda famous drummers where were a lot less people..

If you would define 'having success' as having at least 10.000 views, then yes, i would agree that you are not having much success..

Personally i am not a huge fan of vlogs, but compared to the ones i saw from other people, i think there is not much wrong with your videos..I mean, your presentation is nice, your playing too, etc..

Maybe there are just too much vlogs nowadays to really stand out with something..

If you would like to get more views as a drummer though, i would advice to make drumcovers from very popular artists, drummer-songs, etc and put the artist/song in the video-title..Disadvantage in that case is, that you only get the views because of the famous artists name..But still, maybe you can create more followers like that..

All that being said, my advice would be to not focus at all on views, likes, etc, because in my opinion all those things belong to the category 'most superficial things of modern life'..

The difficulty encountered in media of this type is that youtube consumers tend to prefer sensationalism over reality. Unless you're half naked, on fire, overly theatrical, superhuman, with a cute cuddly orphan animals crawling on you, people just don't seem to get excited. IE: There's no wrestling on TV, but there is WWE.

I'm not advocating a change on your part, just lamenting the failures of our society.

This is very true. However, lots of successful drum channels around. Or I’m doing something wrong or I don’t know lol. I try to keep it as real as possible... reality is honestly the worst type of “television” in my opinion. Just an opinion of course.

I think that depends a little on what you would define as 'having success'..

Like, this video had untill now about 110 views..I have been at drumclinics from kinda famous drummers where were a lot less people..

If you would define 'having success' as having at least 10.000 views, then yes, i would agree that you are not having much success..

Personally i am not a huge fan of vlogs, but compared to the ones i saw from other people, i think there is not much wrong with your videos..I mean, your presentation is nice, your playing too, etc..

Maybe there are just too much vlogs nowadays to really stand out with something..

If you would like to get more views as a drummer though, i would advice to make drumcovers from very popular artists, drummer-songs, etc and put the artist/song in the video-title..Disadvantage in that case is, that you only get the views because of the famous artists name..But still, maybe you can create more followers like that..

All that being said, my advice would be to not focus at all on views, likes, etc, because in my opinion all those things belong to the category 'most superficial things of modern life'..

This is really good feedback. Indeed, I am planning more “play through”content, struggling however. Mostly to get a place where I can place my kit without issues to record... maybe, maybe... I can fix it in a term of one year with one of my businesses or my partner’s but it takes its time.
Good to know however, this is really good feedback and I appreciate it!

With the word "Worship" in the title you will turn some people off. Not everyone is religious. Just another drummer who plays in church. Not much to get excited about in the title of the Vlog.

Any one who has ever played a gig on any level understands the process. Get ready, pack up, unload, set up, play, and so on, No news there.

You have average drumming skills. You play what you play well, but there's no wow factor. Nothing that really makes you stand out in a very competitive field.

The videos are well made but kinda boring. Your time could be better spent.

Just saying.................

..average drumming skills..

..no wow factor..

..Nothing that really makes you stand out..

..boring..

I always look forward a lot to see some of someones own playing after reading such replies, because in my opinion there is really not much wrong with her playing at all..

..I did say she played well right?..

The reply that you wrote was not really sounding as a compliment to me..

I mean, to give some constructive criticism should always be allowed in my opinion, but to only write negative (except maybe 5-6 words) and end a reply with saying that someone should maybe spend their time better, is not what i call constructive criticism..

With the word "Worship" in the title you will turn some people off. Not everyone is religious. Just another drummer who plays in church. Not much to get excited about in the title of the Vlog.

Any one who has ever played a gig on any level understands the process. Get ready, pack up, unload, set up, play, and so on, No news there.

You have average drumming skills. You play what you play well, but there's no wow factor. Nothing that really makes you stand out in a very competitive field.

The videos are well made but kinda boring. Your time could be better spent.

Just saying.................

Worship. Right, good point. But my channel is not only for Christians neither has anything about religion other than drums.

Average skills... well... maybe you do play better than me, or longer. But something has taught me over the years is to serve the song. Worship is not the style you want to show your skills. I’ll upload some stuff showing my “real skills” as you call them, but won’t be any soon due to other issues.

Stand out. Good one, yes. Comes back to my inability to post (it has to do that I don’t have drums at home right now, building mine, and of course do not have a place where I could play without getting sued). No excuses, challenges to fix.

Okay, my vlog is not interesting... we all do that, indeed. Lots of people does it too, but okay, fair point!
Boring, fair point!

I do appreciate it. Thanks

The reply that you wrote was not really sounding as a compliment to me..

I mean, to give some constructive criticism should always be allowed in my opinion, but to only write negative (except maybe 5-6 words) and end a reply with saying that someone should maybe spend their time better, is not what i call constructive criticism..

In this case there's no good answer... You absolutely must stand out if you want youtube fame. He was giving the only relevant criticism as was Kamak. Her playing is fine. It's good, and not offensive, but also doesn't stick out too much.

OP, ask yourself, what am I doing differently from other drummers on youtube, what's my personal angle and how can I play it up.

At this point in the game(late) it's that, or pay for promotion and whore yourself to garbage tactics like "click-baiting", showing skin, and the almost full time job of constantly producing new and more interesting content to keep views up.

Average skills... well... maybe you do play better than me, or longer. But something has taught me over the years is to serve the song. Worship is not the style you want to show your skills. I’ll upload some stuff showing my “real skills” as you call them, but won’t be any soon due to other issues.

It's not about who plays better... And that's subjective anyway. It's more about the fact that "serving the song" doesn't usually equate to something that would grab attention for the drummer... The opposite in fact.

I did say she played well right?

Some get overly defensive when confronted with observation. Many live a binary existence where every statement creates a side and they have to choose a side. Go anywhere and state that it's hot, or sunny, or windy, and you will get a number of retorts beginning with the word "Actually" telling you just how "not sunny" it is.

You're correct. The term "Worship" immediately alienates many viewers. The OP plays perfectly, but the music/part is unexceptional. Nobody dies, no conflict, no drama... Not drop-dead gorgeous like Jared from Drumeo....

IMHO, that's a good thing and what draws me to their videos. It's good to have a baseline of what a normal working drummer's journey looks like.

In this case there's no good answer... You absolutely must stand out if you want youtube fame. He was giving the only relevant criticism as was Kamak. Her playing is fine. It's good, and not offensive, but also doesn't stick out too much.

OP, ask yourself, what am I doing differently from other drummers on youtube, what's my personal angle and how can I play it up.

At this point in the game(late) it's that, or pay for promotion and whore yourself to garbage tactics like "click-baiting", showing skin, and the almost full time job of constantly producing new and more interesting content to keep views up.

I don’t want the “fame”. I just want to build a community. I want to keep it real and honest.
About standing out, definitively. Lost the train there. Well, I think was already so useful the comments here, I’m thankful. I’ll focus more on that.
I won’t pay for promotion, neither whore myself out, etc. That’s not who I am :) I’ll defenirively think to produce more interesting content.

And also, I think this was kind of the last piece to the puzzle. Been talking with a lot of people with the right knowledge on social media, but of course not drums related. I think it was the right step to ask for feedback exactly in the drummer community where is drums on drums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back