A Custom Rezo or Pasite Alpha Metal?

Daphfz

Hi guys! Im buying a new drum kit in a few weeks, a tama starclassic b/b, and i was wondering if someone could help me choose what cymbals to buy. I like to play a variety of styles from metal to hip-hop and jazz, more so the heavier music though.

I can get a set of Zildjian A custom rezo's (14" hats, 16"+18" crashes, 21" ride) for roughly $600 slightly used.

or,

I can get a set of Pasite Alpha Metal cumbal set (14" hats, 17"+18" crashes, 20" ride) for about $900 new.

Given that I want to use these cymbals in my studio, and money is tight, so i would like to spend as little as possible but want something that I wont regret buying.

Can anyone offer any insight or advice into these cymbals?

Thanks guys :)

I don't have much experience with the ReZos, and none with the Alpha Metals, but I have been looking at the ReZos a bit. My first thought is that the ReZos would probably work better in those other, non-metal venues than a dedicated Metal cymbal, but I know some heavier artists like using ReZos.

Do you have the opportunity to try any of these cymbals out anywhere nearby?

I don't have much experience with the ReZos, and none with the Alpha Metals, but I have been looking at the ReZos a bit. My first thought is that the ReZos would probably work better in those other, non-metal venues than a dedicated Metal cymbal, but I know some heavier artists like using ReZos.

Do you have the opportunity to try any of these cymbals out anywhere nearby?

Nah, no drum stores within 200km sell either series.. it's frustrating, and i dont trust the online sound libraries, they are very unreliable IMO.. Yeah I thought the rezo's would suit the lighter stuff i could do, and they seem to look like more a 'studio-bound cymbal' then the metal cymbals, but I can't base everything off the look of a cymbal aye lol

The Alpha metals are bright and loud, which make them good cymbals for live situations, but I think they lack a bit of character due to their weight.

Then again, the Rezo's are supposed to be heavier too.

I'd get the Alpha's, but that's mostly because I prefer Paiste to Zildjian.

The Alpha Metal Crashes are medium-heavy vs. the medium-thin ReZo Crashes. That fact alone would push me toward the Zildjians. I don't like hitting manhole covers for crashes; it makes them very one-dimensional.

The Alpha Metal Ride is extra-heavy. That means you'll get a piercing ping and that's about it. No pleasing wash, no dynamics, and no possibility of being able to crash on it. The Zildjian Ride is medium-heavy, which isn't as light as I prefer, but it's a helluva lot lighter than the Alpha Metal.

Similar thing with the hats: Zildjian is a medium top over an extra-heavy bottom vs. medium-heavy top over an extra-heavy bottom for the Alpha (okay, maybe not as pronounced of a difference there).

I'd go with the Zildjian ReZo set hands down. Not so much because I like B20 Zildjians over B8 mid-level Paistes, but just because I really don't like any cymbals marked with Rock, Metal, Death-grind-meathead-core, or any of that baloney. If I want a heavy cymbal (and I have a few) I don't go for the one's marketed to the metal crowd as they tend to be the least musical cymbals in production. Look at Tomas Haake, for example, with his Sabian HHXs (one of the premier metal drummers not using "metal" cymbals - in fact he's moved away from bright even with those dark pies).

If the weights / brands were reversed in this scenario, I'd happily go with the Paiste set. But they're not and you won't have a hope in hell of being able to pull off any jazz with those pieces of armor.

Rezo. I don't like the Paiste Alpha because when you are tapping on it, it doesn't give out a very pleasing sound. Just like Mike said, anything else you do with it just won't work. I'd go for Rezo if I were you, they sound good and they're cheaper.

The Alpha Metal Ride is extra-heavy. That means you'll get a piercing ping and that's about it. No pleasing wash, no dynamics, and no possibility of being able to crash on it.

I second that, I have played on a friend's alpha metal ride recently. I was interested in it before I played it, but I am not anymore. I did not really even like the bell. And the crashing it sounded awful. I do not know as much about the Rezos, but despite the fact that I am a huge Paiste supporter [and I use all paiste and will likely continue to] i would say go with the zildjians in this case. The alpha metal cymbals are not something I am interested in. You would be better off going after RUDES or 2002 if you want a rock/metal oriented Paiste cymbal set.

All of the A Custom are amazing. The Rezo's especially in my opinion. And you get that cool design on them ;)

Always opt for the more musical sounding cymbal, the more versatile cymbal, the one that when you hit it all by yourself makes you smile. In this case... definitely the ReZo over the Alphas.

Thanks guys! :D I Agree, Rezo's it is :) Can't wait to get them and put them through their paces :)

Back in the 70's Zildjian introduced the A Rock 21" Ride,I had one and it was a terrific Cymbal,they still make them but the modern ones are too platey/clangy and heavy for my taste,the 21 reso sounds and plays a lot like those vintage rock 21's,musical but with plenty of muscle and cut.

Back