A custom = LM400/402

braincramp

Gold Member
At the risk of being Captain of the obvious... Since Zildjian created the A custom line do you believe it has become the "go to" most recorded cymbal in the past 30 years in rock/pop music? It seems you see alot of them on pro kits..and the stats and sales probably would confirm it. Personally, I played the standard A custom 20" ride for the first time in years the other day, after playing tons of other rides in that time period and realized this is a very good choice for a ride that will work on any type of music.

alparrott

Platinum Member
If any cymbal(s) were to be compared to the Supraphonic in terms of commonality, it would be 14" A Zildjian New Beats.

wildbill

Platinum Member
When were the A customs introduced?

Anyways, I agree alparrott - about the regular A line in general, and the New Beats in particular for overall numbers produced.

The A Custom rides, crashes and splashes are probably more popular now, but I think the New Beats are still going strong.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
New Beats, which existed simply as Zildjian cymbals, well before there were other series and the need to designate them as A's.

Bermuda

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
As far as "commonality" goes, Zildjian A cymbals are it. A Customs are fairly common, but so are Zildjian Ks, Sabian AAs, Sabian HHXs, and Paiste 2002s. You don't see too many Sabian HHs, Zildjian Pitch Blacks, or Meinls (except for the Sand Ride--those are pretty popular!)

Craig J

At the risk of being Captain of the obvious... Since Zildjian created the A custom line do you believe it has become the "go to" most recorded cymbal in the past 30 years in rock/pop music? It seems you see alot of them on pro kits..and the stats and sales probably would confirm it. Personally, I played the standard A custom 20" ride for the first time in years the other day, after playing tons of other rides in that time period and realized this is a very good choice for a ride that will work on any type of music.
i own an A custom 20" ride and i have to agree that it is a great choice for a ride cymbal in the studio. in a live setting, it doesn;t always cut through because there is very little ping, and tends to wash out when playing at a loud volume. but its probably the best ride to crash on!

braincramp

Gold Member
When were the A customs introduced?
I know they just had a big aniversary..I believe it was 30 years ago in the early '80's just in time for the hair band explosion! If I am wrong about the timeline I'm sure someone will correct me..

evans_69

Silver Member
I use a 20" A custom crash and a 19" A custom medium crash and i get comments all the time about how good they sound. IMO the best crash cymbals ever made. My only concern is they do crack, we had many returned when i used to help out in a drum shop.

brady

Platinum Member
I have 17" and 18" A Custom crashes. Hands down my favorite crash cymbals.

I haven't broken either of them in the 5 or 6 years that I've had them.

makinao

Silver Member
When were the A customs introduced? Anyways, I agree alparrott - about the regular A line in general, and the New Beats in particular for overall numbers produced.
According to the Zildjian website, A Customs were introduced in 1990. New Beats were introduced in the early 1960s.

Angus Macinnes

I have a 17 inch A Custom Rezo and a 21 inch A Custom Rezo ride. Both are great sounding cymbals and complement my 22 inch A Ride well.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I'd say the A Zildjian 20'" medium Ride has to be the "Supraphonic" of the cymbal world. It's been that ubiquitous over the decades.

makinao

Silver Member
While we're at it, I'll complete the kit. In the rock era, the classic cymbal kit would be New Beats, 20" medium ride, and 18" medium thin crash. Since its introduction, I think the 21" Sweet Ride has taken its place as a recent classic, which is probably why Zildjian reportedly didn't touch it when they did their 2013 revamp.

Hmmmmmm ... that makes me wonder whether its the A series, rather than the A Custom series which deserves the title "most recorded cymbal in the past 30 years in rock/pop music".

wildbill

Platinum Member
Ha ha - I had 14" New Beats, a 20" A Medium ride and a 16" Medium crash forever, until I joined this site a couple years ago and started buying cymbals like crazy.

I still have those, but they were bought well over 30 years ago, so it makes me wonder a bit too if the Customs have really overtaken them.

The Sweet Ride was the first one I bought on my cymbal binge, after the long drought, and it's become one of my favorites.
I had a 20" A Custom for a while, but it turned out to be not what I was after.

longgun

Gold Member
I know they just had a big aniversary..I believe it was 30 years ago in the early '80's just in time for the hair band explosion! If I am wrong about the timeline I'm sure someone will correct me..
Close, but towards the end of the hair days

From the Zildjian website (January 1, 1990 — December 28, 1990)

Vinnie Colaiuta (Sting) helps Zildjian develop the ‘A Custom’ range of cymbals. ‘A Customs’ set a new standard in modern cymbal making, soon becoming one of Zildjian’s most popular models.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I have fairly small sample area up here in northern Idaho, but I only know of one guy using A Customs. Most use regular A's or various Sabians.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Yeah, I thought the New Beat designation applied only to the hi-hats. I'm no expert, though.
It does.

I was just querying whether even back in the day when Zildjian only made two series (the A's in the US and the K's in Turkey) that they referred to them as Avedis or A series.

Stroman

Platinum Member
It does.

I was just querying whether even back in the day when Zildjian only made two series (the A's in the US and the K's in Turkey) that they referred to them as Avedis or A series.
Gotcha. All I know is, when I was taking lessons in the 70's everyone I knew called them "Avedis Zildjians." Seems like the "A" is a product of the modern need to shorten and abbreviate things.