A custom cymbals?

stabmasterarson

I'm new to the whole buying cymbals thing, and I have just kind of bought cymbals willy nilly, no real method to what I'm doing. So I have sabian (APX, AA,), zildjian (a, z custom, a custom), paiste (pst5), meinl (hcs)cymbals on my kit right now.

I picked up a used 19"A custom medium crash on a whim and I love this cymbal. At first I thought it rang out too long, until I recorded with it, it has a big loud sound and is great for riding on.

I had previously bought a couple of zildjian A fast crashes which are starting to crack now after 8 months of playing on them, so I'm looking for suggestions from you more knowledgeable guys. My sabians are allright...my hats, a 10 and 12 inch splash are sabian....but I like the sound of this A custom a lot, plus they seem fairly thick so they won't break like my A's are doing on me.

I play metal, bordering on death metal if that helps.

Should I just go get some more A customs, or is there a cymbal line like it that I'm overlooking? There's something about the sound, it seems loud and bright but it has body, if that makes any sense to me. I hit a couple of other A custom cymbals at the store and they all have this quality...but I'm tired of spending money on cymbals for now, I want to do a lot of research this time around so I don't waste money..help!

If you crashride a lot, you'll probably break them. I have had an 18" A Custom Crash for less than a year and I've just broken my second one a couple weeks ago. They sound awesome, though. If you buy through Guitar Center or some other store that offers it, always buy the protection plan. Using A Customs for heavier music, you will more than get your money's worth out of it.

Of course, there's always the A Custom Projection Crashes. I haven't had the chance to play one, but I hear they're similar. Just a little louder and a little thicker.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
A customs weren't really designed for loud music.

Although plenty of louder drummers use them.

There was a time when most metal drummers tend to favor thicker cymbals, like Zildjian Z customs, or Paiste Rudes, but as tempos have gotten faster, with blast beats and such, thinner & quicker cymbals are more popular.

But like most things, it comes down to personal taste. There is no right answer.

805Drummer

Gold Member
Zildjian makes metal cymbals, designed for hard, fast hitters. These are the Z Customs.

So does Paiste. These are the RUDES.

Sabian makes the AA Metal's.

drummer girl09

This might be a stupid question, and I am sorry if it is, but I have tried to look on the internet (google etc.) for the answer but they won't give me a definition of it. And I don't want to start a new thread on something kind of small like this question, so this seemed to be an appropriate place to ask.

What exactly do custom cymbals mean? I thought it meant that you get to specifically pick out the sound or what ever you want from the cymbals like custom drums. Is that right? Or is it just a name like ZBT or something? And they seemed to be a lot more expensive than the other cymbals, and I thought it would be because you get to pick it out specifically. I'm not sure though, but I have been wondering about that for kind of a while. Thanks for the answers and again, I'm sorry if this is considered a stupid question. I couldn't find it anywhere else.

TTNW

Pioneer Member
This might be a stupid question, and I am sorry if it is, but I have tried to look on the internet (google etc.) for the answer but they won't give me a definition of it. And I don't want to start a new thread on something kind of small like this question, so this seemed to be an appropriate place to ask.

What exactly do custom cymbals mean? I thought it meant that you get to specifically pick out the sound or what ever you want from the cymbals like custom drums. Is that right? Or is it just a name like ZBT or something? And they seemed to be a lot more expensive than the other cymbals, and I thought it would be because you get to pick it out specifically. I'm not sure though, but I have been wondering about that for kind of a while. Thanks for the answers and again, I'm sorry if this is considered a stupid question. I couldn't find it anywhere else.
In this case (Zildjian), custom refers to the name of the series of cymbals. Vinnie Colaiuta worked with Ziljian to design this series as a separate line to the A series. The K Custom series is named along the same premise but with more higher profile drummers participating in their design like Gadd, Chamber, Akira Jimbo, etc..

Custom does not refer to being able to request any type cymbal be made for you.

I heard that Sabian offers this custom service though. You should check it out.

Aleks192

FWIW thicker cymbals are more prone to cracking due to less flexibility than thinner cymbals....you may find that out the hard way!

drummer girl09

In this case (Zildjian), custom refers to the name of the series of cymbals. Vinnie Colaiuta worked with Ziljian to design this series as a separate line to the A series. The K Custom series is named along the same premise but with more higher profile drummers participating in their design like Gadd, Chamber, Akira Jimbo, etc..

Custom does not refer to being able to request any type cymbal be made for you.

I heard that Sabian offers this custom service though. You should check it out.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. And I wasn't really looking for cymbals right now, even though I need some (I can't afford them). I was just seeing what the quality of it is, lack of a better term. Thanks again!

FWIW thicker cymbals are more prone to cracking due to less flexibility than thinner cymbals....you may find that out the hard way!
I understand what you're saying and the physics behind it, but I think there comes a point when a drummer who hits relatively hard will get more life out of a thicker cymbal. For me at least, I think that I break A Customs so often because they have too much flex. They give too easily, and I play with enough force to cause them to flex past their breaking point.

T

trkdrmr

I have my judgment and answer. I leave Sabian in 5th place behind the other "big four" companies.

Overall, Paiste signature's silvery wash makes my a customs sound thick and dull by compare.

I prefer (overall) in this order:
Paiste
UFIP
Meinl
Zildjian
Sabian

grooveweapon

Sabian in last place? Have you tried each line from Sabian? I'm in no way brand loyal to Sabian but I was fortunate enough to pick up a (used) 18" Vault crash for super cheap. This is probably the most responsive and loudest swelling crash cymbal I've heard to date...even the softest of crashes brings considerable volume out of it...and best of all it sounds AMAZING...something I assume that EVERYBODY wants out of their cymbal. Not everybody needs loud though, I understand. This cymbal cuts very well live. It's one of the thinnest crashes I've seen for its size. You can definitely hear the silver. It's almost hard to describe the tone...to me, it's like it has warm tones with this smooth bright sound over the top that helps the cymbal cut. You could even say it sounds "pre-EQ'd" if that makes any sense, like what many say about birch shells. Many cymbal companies will try throwing out a "gimmicky" cymbal onto the market to see what happens, but the Vault to me isn't gimmicky, it's spot on.

grooveweapon

With that said, a more direct response to the original poster... I have a set of 13" A custom hi-hats that I think sound great. They have a quick response being a little bit smaller and they sound "good" in respect to all of the things you would look for in a hi hat. Good "chick" sound, nice open sound, etc. They aren't "amazing" in any one area, they are more like the jack of all trades. haha. I would also say that I wasn't a big fan of the A custom crashes that I have had the chance to hear in person...they seemed a bit clunky for me but for some other people they might work great.

T

trkdrmr

Sabian in last place? Have you tried each line from Sabian? I'm in no way brand loyal to Sabian but I was fortunate enough to pick up a (used) 18" Vault crash for super cheap. This is probably the most responsive and loudest swelling crash cymbal I've heard to date...even the softest of crashes brings considerable volume out of it...and best of all it sounds AMAZING...something I assume that EVERYBODY wants out of their cymbal. Not everybody needs loud though, I understand. This cymbal cuts very well live. It's one of the thinnest crashes I've seen for its size. You can definitely hear the silver. It's almost hard to describe the tone...to me, it's like it has warm tones with this smooth bright sound over the top that helps the cymbal cut. You could even say it sounds "pre-EQ'd" if that makes any sense, like what many say about birch shells. Many cymbal companies will try throwing out a "gimmicky" cymbal onto the market to see what happens, but the Vault to me isn't gimmicky, it's spot on.
Sabian has a few things I like... a few hats , crashes, rides. But the other companies have more stuff in their lineup I like. Even if it is by one or two. I have stated elsewhere that the vault is my favorite lineup from Saban.