A clear snare batter head ?

joshisaces

Gold Member
Are there any clear snare batter heads? Or maybe even tom heads that work good for snare batter heads?

I have an acrylic snare and It would look so cool if there was a clear head to use as the batter head, though it may take some of the sound qualities away from the drum.

So, is there a clear batter head for a snare drum?

If there is,
- Which head is it?
- What kind of sound does it make? (If you've tried it)
- Any thoughts that come to your mind about it.

Thanks

evans ec and ec2 have a coating, but it's translucent, look 'em up. I don't know how they sound though.

Remo C.S Blackdot! I used it without fail for years.. OR... a Remo Clear Emperor.. Tommy Aldridge is known to use one on his snare.

Attachments

• blackdot.jpg
    blackdot.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 5,300
Remo C.S Blackdot! I used it without fail for years.. OR... a Remo Clear Emperor.. Tommy Aldridge is known to use one on his snare.

What kind of sound do they both make?

Edit: I'm not interested in any particular brand so type away.

Any clear batter head the size of your snare drum will do. The Remo clear lineup is here:

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/3/8/49/ds_clear.html

I've used pinstripes and clear black dots as a snare batter long ago. They were not crisp like a coated head, and brushes had absolutely no effect. But they sounded robust, and absorbed a lot of punishment (I was playing rock then).

Any clear batter head the size of your snare drum will do. The Remo clear lineup is here:

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/3/8/49/ds_clear.html

I've used pinstripes and clear black dots as a snare batter long ago. They were not crisp like a coated head, and brushes had absolutely no effect. But they sounded robust, and absorbed a lot of punishment (I was playing rock then).

Robust? I think I might want the "crisp" sound. hmmmm, I don't think I'd sacrifice looks over sound :(

Like was said above, any clear head like an ambassador, g1, emperor, g2 will work fine. If you do any brushwork at all clear heads on a snare especially will be useless. Keeping in mind that the only person that will really see through the drum is you, I'd go more for the sound than I would the looks. A coated head adds a different characteristic to a drum usually warming the tone and lessening some of the plastic attack the stick can create.

I had the Aquarian clear Studio-X with powerdot on my steel snare for some time and it felt & sounded real 80s.

Here's a pic.

Attachments

• studio-x.jpg
    studio-x.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 5,130
Like was said above, any clear head like an ambassador, g1, emperor, g2 will work fine. If you do any brushwork at all clear heads on a snare especially will be useless. Keeping in mind that the only person that will really see through the drum is you, I'd go more for the sound than I would the looks. A coated head adds a different characteristic to a drum usually warming the tone and lessening some of the plastic attack the stick can create.

Exactly, which is why I was a little hesitant. I think I'll stick with coated snare heads, and maybe later in the future when I actually have money to kill, I'll get a clear head and try it out.

Back