A clear snare batter head ?

joshisaces

Gold Member
Are there any clear snare batter heads? Or maybe even tom heads that work good for snare batter heads?

I have an acrylic snare and It would look so cool if there was a clear head to use as the batter head, though it may take some of the sound qualities away from the drum.

So, is there a clear batter head for a snare drum?

If there is,
- Which head is it?
- What kind of sound does it make? (If you've tried it)
- Any thoughts that come to your mind about it.

Thanks

wolfmoon

Silver Member
Remo C.S Blackdot! I used it without fail for years.. OR... a Remo Clear Emperor.. Tommy Aldridge is known to use one on his snare.

Attachments

joshisaces

Gold Member
Remo C.S Blackdot! I used it without fail for years.. OR... a Remo Clear Emperor.. Tommy Aldridge is known to use one on his snare.
What kind of sound do they both make?

Edit: I'm not interested in any particular brand so type away.

makinao

Silver Member
Any clear batter head the size of your snare drum will do. The Remo clear lineup is here:

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/3/8/49/ds_clear.html

I've used pinstripes and clear black dots as a snare batter long ago. They were not crisp like a coated head, and brushes had absolutely no effect. But they sounded robust, and absorbed a lot of punishment (I was playing rock then).

joshisaces

Gold Member
Any clear batter head the size of your snare drum will do. The Remo clear lineup is here:

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/3/8/49/ds_clear.html

I've used pinstripes and clear black dots as a snare batter long ago. They were not crisp like a coated head, and brushes had absolutely no effect. But they sounded robust, and absorbed a lot of punishment (I was playing rock then).
Robust? I think I might want the "crisp" sound. hmmmm, I don't think I'd sacrifice looks over sound :(

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Like was said above, any clear head like an ambassador, g1, emperor, g2 will work fine. If you do any brushwork at all clear heads on a snare especially will be useless. Keeping in mind that the only person that will really see through the drum is you, I'd go more for the sound than I would the looks. A coated head adds a different characteristic to a drum usually warming the tone and lessening some of the plastic attack the stick can create.

joshisaces

Gold Member
Like was said above, any clear head like an ambassador, g1, emperor, g2 will work fine. If you do any brushwork at all clear heads on a snare especially will be useless. Keeping in mind that the only person that will really see through the drum is you, I'd go more for the sound than I would the looks. A coated head adds a different characteristic to a drum usually warming the tone and lessening some of the plastic attack the stick can create.

Exactly, which is why I was a little hesitant. I think I'll stick with coated snare heads, and maybe later in the future when I actually have money to kill, I'll get a clear head and try it out.