A bunch of musical nonsense

Lunar Satellite Brian

So I talked a lot about my approach to music today, and I can't let my text go to waste, so here we go...

(1)Abandon concern for hitting the right note.
Then, hit the right note.
-DGM

This is entirely true, in fact lately I have been playing music in the darkest environment possible, in order to take away absolutely any concern about the instrument itself and be only concerned about the music, this is possibly taking it out of proportion slightly, but the moral applies.

(2) Music comes from your mind, we too often think too much about how our body physically will do what our mind is thinking musically, when we should accustom our body to the instrument so our minds can concentrate on the music, and let translating the notes to the physical world come naturally.

This is why I believe it is important to practice your instrument to the point of near perfection so your physical disadvantages aren't getting in the way of your musical creativity.

discuss your approach to music and discuss, well, music.

I often play with my eyes closed, even at gigs! I've been told this is a bad thing to do, so, of course, I still do it :) During practice (read - rare), I'll close my eyes to get the piece flowing well. I find this renders the mechanics to a more instinctive level. Maybe I'm not the only mad one after all.

Are you really Pat Mastelotto?

Am I really Pollyanna?

pollyanna-256x256.jpg

:)

He obviously likes PM's playing in the same way as I decided to poke fun at my gloomy, nihilistic worldview. Remember how MoontheLoon used to come here? And we're had more Bonzos than you can poke a stick at.

I often close my eyes when playing too. I try not to, but I do. We do it (usually unconsciously) to help us focus. It works too ... which is why blind people have strong audio acuity.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/07/15/1089694450854.html?from=storylhs

While the story only relates to early blindness, I'd say there's some effect on a temporary basis from subjective observations and logic ...the less you have, the more you are able to focus on what you do have - and that holds to any area of life. What you choose to do with that extra ability is another matter ...

When you close your eyes, it frees up considerable brainpower that now doesn't have to process visual information. I close my eyes to solo, because I need all the brainpower I can get lol, plus I don't really need to look at the others to see what they're doing during my solo. Any other time I am looking at whoever is "speaking". Drummers who close their eyes and miss things...are missing things.

Just call me Captain Obvious.

When you close your eyes, it frees up considerable brainpower that now doesn't have to process visual information. I close my eyes to solo, because I need all the brainpower I can get lol, plus I don't really need to look at the others to see what they're doing during my solo. Any other time I am looking at whoever is "speaking". Drummers who close their eyes and miss things...are missing things.

I'd probably be better if I closed my eyes more often, because I tend to get distracted by what is going on around me. Unfortunately my band leader is constantly changing things up so I need to watch for his cues.

Can't you just upgrade your RAM?

All smart-assing aside, I find it to be a huge challenge to address the music musically, instead of drummerishly. I was listening to Zappa's Make a Jazz Noise Here this morning, and thinking man that Chad Wackerman does such a fine job of interpreting FZ's musical vision. Here's a taste, I actually prefer this New Age version of the Black Page to the original Bozzio-fied version.

Back