A better recording of the Ludwigs!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
OK - I broke out a mixing board and some mics and did a better recording of the silver sparkle Ludwigs. So I recommend wearing headphones unless you have a nice speaker set-up to listen to. The drums sound MUCH better now with minimal EQ. This is a 2:41 video of some groove noodling but I think you'll get the idea and agree the drums sound much better mic'd up ;)

Those Ludwig 6 ply shells still deliver !!!!

Is that Bonham size, or did he play a 24”?
Part of the first leg of the first Led Zepp. US tour, he played a 24x14 (Black Diamond Peal). Towards the end of that first tour, he got his 26x14, and stuck with that size (Natural Maple, Green Sparkle, Amber Vistalite, Stainless Steel). Bonham got his SS kit in 1977, I'm not sure if Ludwig was even offering "power sized" bass drums in '77. I do know they were available in 1980, because that's the year I bought mine;)

Last edited:
Part of the first leg of the first Led Zepp. US tour, he played a 24x14 (Black Diamond Peal). Towards the end of that first tour, he got his 26x14, and stuck with that size (Natural Maple, Green Sparkle, Amber Vistalite, Stainless Steel). Bonham got his SS kit in 1977, I'm not sure if Ludwig was even offering "power sized" bass drums in '77. I do know they were available in 1980, because that's the year I bought mine;)
I remember the 1980 Ludwig catalog was actually out in 1978, and I saw Buddy Rich play with a 16x24 at Disneyland then. But I don’t think Bonham ever jumped to a deeper bass drum, it was always 14x26.

They have that classic Ludwig sound. (chef's kiss)

The rack tom really does it for me. The floor tom is equally good.

Well, the "Natural maple" (Thermogloss) was 26x15.

So Rick's got the dimensions of the Natural Maple kit wrong in this video (per the info. from Bonzoleum). The bass drum was 26x15 and the rack tom was 14x12 (later cut down to 14x10). Also, you can see on the 16" floor tom shell, that the 3 ply "maple/poplar/maple" shell Rick's holding actually has a darker exterior ply (that would be a mahogany outer ply).

"Those drums don't look fat on you at all"

-------------;)

well maybe a little.. :)

actually...

like Ian Paice recording in that narrow hallway at

What was news to me was using 1.6 hoops
Oh yeah. Newer hoops, in general, are thicker. But there are exceptions. The Yamaha Stage Customs, for example, are 1.5mm.

Only thing I don’t like about big Drums is how tiny they make you look behind the kit. It’s like honey I shrunk the kids playing drums.

Drums sound great tho, I’m going to find a players grade vintage Ludwig or Gretsch kit soon

Back