90s drumkits, who still has one?

View attachment 89886

me rocking my 1990s tama rockstar (made in japan, before they moved production of low end kits to indonesia/china/taiwan) rocking the 12x10, 16x16, 22x16 setup here, the 13x11 tom was left at home
12x11, 13x12. Deeeeeep! I loved mine. Only sold them because I wanted to move up to a maple kit.

1991General_Catalog_05.jpg

12x11, 13x12. Deeeeeep! I loved mine. Only sold them because I wanted to move up to a maple kit.
View attachment 89938
cool! wasnt sure if they were them sizes or slightly smaller. though my kit is predates the DX kits as its jsut has rockstar on the badges alongside "made in japan". gotta admit they sound sweet though!! :D

cool! wasnt sure if they were them sizes or slightly smaller. though my kit is predates the DX kits as its jsut has rockstar on the badges alongside "made in japan". gotta admit they sound sweet though!! :D
I don't think mine did either... I don't know if there was ever a change in badge only, but the major previous gen (1st gen, I believe) of Rockstar drums had single lugs and black painted interiors.

Last edited:
GMS was such a great 90's drum set.

I've seen a couple of 90's GMS kits for sale, and they were MUCH cheaper than I would have ever anticipated. Did their brand cheapen over time or something?
Nope. I had them make a matching 20x16 kick recently and it’s amazing and every bit as top notch as ever.

If I ever buy another dream kit it’s a coin toss for me to go with GMS or Noble and Cooley.

I would snatch up any well priced 90’s kit (but replace the suspension mounts if they are those old clunky ones. I picked up my kit 4 toms, kick and matching snare for $2k and then added the smaller kick to have two great kits.

just a quickie, are those rack tom uncomfy to play at such an off-set angle? or do you find it quite comfy and got used to it easily? :)
Originally, this kit was the typical hard rock/metal set up -2 bass drums, 2 racks on a stand and 2 floors; I just have it set up with one bass drum, but the racks are pretty much where they would be if it was the double bass config. That and I got used to the ride placement over the bass drum when I just played a 4pc set up. When I decided to add the smaller rack it was no problem adjusting. I actually had more of an issue trying to not hit the snare mic!

I now have a 90's kit again. Just ordered new heads. Ill post pics up once I have it all tuned up. Premier Signia, emerald green . 22, 10, 12, 14, 16 (both actual floor toms not hangers)

I own two Tamburo Original stave sets, maple and mutenye, both built in 1991. I believe that it is worth (re)posting them here just because they are definitely NOT in the typical nineties vibe: they could have been built today, which shows how visionary Tullio Granatello - Tamburo's founder - was!

View attachment 90103
Is the tom mount bracket on the middle rack tom off-center from the lugs?

So I'm rebuilding my Tama Rockstar kit from the early '90's. New wrap, new lugs. It will be a completely different kit from what it was before... with the exception of the sizes. 8x8, 10x10, 12x11, 14x13. The 14 is fine and works well as a hung floor tom, but that 12x11 is really deep and forces me to have the rack toms set up really high. I suppose I could tilt the rack Tom's down a little more so I can lower.my seat just a bit but it likely wouldn't be worth it. Maybe 1" lower. The fact is, the drums can't be set up how the more modern kits can be set up. Overall its okay, but it's certainly a different feel from my other kits with a 12x9 rack tom.

just a quickie, how did you get the kickport to stay attached at the back? did the felt ring on the regulator not interfere with it sealing properly?
No, I cut the ring down also :)

Is the tom mount bracket on the middle rack tom off-center from the lugs?
Yes Sir, these are stave drums, and for "security reasons" the holes of the old Yamaha tom mounts are drilled exactly in the middle of a stave on all toms. Additionally, this should have allowed one of the brass lugs to be exactly in front of a viewer (obviously with the toms mounted on the bass drum, which is the case for the mutenye set but not anymore for the maple set, where I prefer to mount all toms on stands for ergonomic reasons).

Back