90s drumkits, who still has one?

My beloved 1996 Pearl Export Select in Burgundy Mist. Note the contrasting wood bass drum hoops, and lacquered wood finish. Very 'select'.

This was my first 'proper' kit after a 20-year drum sabbatical. Bought it cheap, used it for a bunch of low-key gigs and rehearsals, sold it cheap for something better. But still, I'll always have a soft spot for it.DSC_0088-2.jpg

Are 90s Rock Tour Customs essentially Recording Customs but with Maple shells and power sizes? The hardware looks so similar.
Rock Tour Custom's are Birch with a middle ply of Mahogany. They are both "Power" sizes & "Turbo" (square) sizes. The fixtures & fittings are the same as the RC's. My RC's are in Power Sizes also.

9Y0A5967 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

My current kit is a Yamaha RTC in Cobalt Blue, that was previously owned by Gary Husband, during his tenure with Level 42. I previously owned a Trak Series 400 kit in Tobacco Sunburst.

TC Drums 1.JPG

TC Drums 4.JPG

I still have a 1988 model Yamaha Power Tour custom 5 piece kit. That's almost the 90s LOL

I remember the projector with long lugs, the separate lugs were from late 80s ?

I found some pictures of my old Pearl SLX attached below from around 1991 and it got me thinking how fantastic those kits were. Direct shell tom mounts, unnecessary/impractical but brilliant 950 counter-weighted boom stands, long lugs, deep toms, free floating snare. I had a great set of Sabian AAs to go with it which included my favourite hihats ever, 13in Fusion Hats, with a AA top and leopard bottom. I wish I never sold it and from a nostalgic perspective I love the look and design of those kits.

Does anybody still have a 90s era kit, would love to see some pics!
Beautiful finish. I believe Pearl called it Sheer Blue. And yes, they had great sound.

Maybe it was just right back then.. and almost ALL of these models above offered more shallow depths from what I remember..

Look at PEARL..... they had everything perfect IMO with the first Gen Masters.. all sizes, incredible finishes, birch or maple.. Look at Pearl today.. WTF ??

Sonor was at their peak IMO. Maybe Yamaha was also.. and Tama.
Yeah, too many lines and a perception of sameness among, and between them all.

IMG_2246.jpg
View attachment 86727

90’s 9 piece Premier Signia. Power Toms, deep 14x7” snare drum, heeeaaaavy hardware.

Oh, man! Signia was my dream kit for a while but never got one. Had an XPK with the small lugs.

I have a Pearl Export from the late 90's in my practice room. 12-14-22 re-wrapped in black.

Yamaha maple customs, early 90's. They have been VERY well taken care of. Use them for concert band and the odd church gig.
18x14 - 12x10 - 14x14 - 14x5 snare ( not pictured ). The kick is smallish, but has enough boom for the size of the band. Not the greatest of pics, sorry !

View attachment 86772

That was my other dream kit that I never got. That finish too. I used to stare at that catalog...

Im saving some coin so I can buy a set of Premier Signia's. I love them so much and regret ever getting rid of them.

1990's Sonor Force Cusom - https://www.sonormuseum.com/1990/force/force.html

Never seen a pic of this particular style kit that wasn't mine. Someone once told me that is was a re-badged Slingerland but I can't prove that. Not a great kit but good enough for me ATM.

Force Custom Series
The Force Custom Series was designed on the same basis as the Force series. In order to accomodate the needs of today's jazz drummers it features thin 9-ply North American Maple- Mahogany-Maple shells in two stain finishes:

NM Natural Maple
EG Emerald Green

It is equipped with the same hardware system as the Force series. Force Custom drums are available in a four-piece Bebop package and a five-piece Classic Jazz setup. It includes a range different sizes of rack toms, floor toms, bass drums, and a 5" wood snare drum.

Attachments

• IMG_1104.jpg
    IMG_1104.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 8
1990's Sonor Force Cusom - https://www.sonormuseum.com/1990/force/force.html

Never seen a pic of this particular style kit that wasn't mine. Someone once told me that is was a re-badged Slingerland but I can't prove that. Not a great kit but good enough for me ATM.

Force Custom Series
The Force Custom Series was designed on the same basis as the Force series. In order to accomodate the needs of today's jazz drummers it features thin 9-ply North American Maple- Mahogany-Maple shells in two stain finishes:

NM Natural Maple
EG Emerald Green

It is equipped with the same hardware system as the Force series. Force Custom drums are available in a four-piece Bebop package and a five-piece Classic Jazz setup. It includes a range different sizes of rack toms, floor toms, bass drums, and a 5" wood snare drum.
Why isn't it a great kit? It should sound pretty good if the shells are North American Maple and Mahogany. Maybe it's the bearing edges, warped hoops, or the shell is out of round?

Back